Continuing VSP Conventional Use of VHF-Highband

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Since the migration to STARS, I have heard sporadic activity on the old VSP Surveillance Frequency (154.69500 MHz, Carrier Squelch), with comms usually of an AIR-TO-GROUND nature.

However, yesterday afternoon (2018-03-05) I picked up a couple of Troopers on the old VSP Tactical Frequency (154.66500 MHz, Carrier Squelch), using it as a CAR-TO-CAR INTERCOM, while they were traveling on Highway 460 from somewhere East of me, through Lynchburg, apparently to the Roanoke/Salem area.

Has anyone else in the Commonwealth observed continued use of these conventional channels in their local areas?

I had assumed that most/all car-to-car traffic has moved to STARS a long time ago, and is the usual spot I head such comms (including VSP Tac Team comms the day prior to the Unite The Right rally in Charlottesville).

BushDoctor

154.665/154.695

From time to tine I hear traffic on these same channels traveling in VA. Lately I havent heard Carlisle PA on them like I use to at nighjt from my location in Strasburg,VA

smwincva

Premium Subscriber
For quite a while after the migration to STARS, I still heard them on 154.695. Have not heard radio traffic there in recent months. However I have heard new encrypted groups on STARS, so perhaps they have new radios now.

Steve

John

Premium Subscriber
Still hear a lot of patched traffic to 158.985 and 159.000. Patch from the STARS talkgroups to the old conventional channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.