Getting Back into it - Franklin County Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelzmike

Hey all -

It's been a very long time since I have enjoyed the hobby of listening to local scanner radio traffic (not since I was a young teen with my grandparents) Now I am older and as I was rebuilding a new OTA TV antenna and up on the roof, I thought it would be cool to get a new scanner for the house.

That being said, I know that loads have changed since a couple decades ago in terms of technology - both the signal and the scanners. I have some brushing up to do on all of this, but was curious if anyone could suggest some scanners that would work for me.

I think I am in a good position for signal as I live right in town, about 1 miles west of downtown, right near the County Administration Building. I am not looking for something to be portable (i.e. like a hand held). I am primarily interested in Franklin County Fire, EMS, Police, RMPD, etc. I don't need something super top of the line. I like getting just what works and isn't overkill.

Even though I am close, I do have trees and an set down in elevation from town, so an antenna may be needed..but maybe not, I dunno. I'd also like some sort of audio output, preferably a 3.5mm or other standard jack as well.

Anything other tips, tricks, or gotchas about scanning the area. Thanks!

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
You will need at a minimum a Phase-II capable scanner to listen to Franklin. Fire Dispatch is simulcast on VHF for paging. Sheriff is 100% encrypted from what I have seen, RMPD seems to be in the clear. From what I understood all the VHF equipment was to be traded in after the 800mhz system went online.

shelzmike

You will need at a minimum a Phase-II capable scanner to listen to Franklin. Fire Dispatch is simulcast on VHF for paging. Sheriff is 100% encrypted from what I have seen, RMPD seems to be in the clear. From what I understood all the VHF equipment was to be traded in after the 800mhz system went online.

Thanks for the reply. I am curious about the 100% encryption for Sheriff. With this movement sweeping across the country, I wouldn't doubt it, but I am getting conflicting information. I see on RR it only mentions encryption on the TAC and Mobile TAC channels, but not dispatch. Plus, I did some other google searching and didn't come across anything related to them moving to 100% encryption. Would be interesting to find this out definitively before I purchased anything.

Where were you seeing that it is encrypted? (By the way, not saying you are wrong at all..just curious to get more info - not only from the standpoint of myself as a hobbiest, but just in general as a citizen, this of course bothers me and I am not going to get into it as it seems to be banned from discussion around here now).

Thanks again!

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I’m basing it on my frequent travels in the area. When the switch to 800 was made Dispatch was in the clear and the mobiles were mostly encrypted, now Sheriff appears to all be encrypted. Granted I do not live in Franklin and monitor every day, that is how it appears. It’s not a surprise given that the VHF was often encrypted.

kd4tmb

FCSD is encrypted, both dispatch and mobiles. I heard that sheriff didn't want anyone listening to their comms.

shelzmike

FCSD is encrypted, both dispatch and mobiles. I heard that sheriff didn't want anyone listening to their comms.

Thanks to you both. This is disappointing, of course. The fact that we are a rural county with very little that goes on that is generally that serious, seems a strange decision. If anyone needs some level of accountability it is the FCSD. I am even more surprised that I haven't heard much about it - meaning, I haven't heard anyone complain about it at all, nor did I hear about the switch except from my in-laws who had a scanner and said some time back it just cut out; however, I wasn't sure if there was just some other sort of upgrade that finally made their old scanner outdated.

As a taxpayer here, I am wondering if this is costing us anymore than encrypted only on tactical. I know some places it does, and others it doesn't. I live right in town, so at least the RPMD isn't encrypted...for now.

The Database may need to be updated (unless I don't understand how it is listing the information) because it doesn't mention that it is encrypted on dispatch.

fredva

Feed Provider

If Sheriff Dispatch talkgroup 416 is encrypted or is never used for dispatch, the database should be updated to reflect that fact.

N4ANJ

Premium Subscriber
Talkgroup 416 is not encrypted and it is not dispatch. It is "fire & rescue tac 3". Talkgroup 420 is FCSO dispatch and is fully encrypted.

N4ANJ

Premium Subscriber
Also. Not listed
Talkgroup 416 is Fire & Rescue Tac 3
Talkgroup 420 is FCSO "Control" seldom used
Talkgroup 421 is "Dispatch" full encrypted
Talkgroup 422 is FCSO fully encrypted
Talkgroup 423 is FCSO fully encrypted
Talkgroup 424 is FCSO fully encrypted
Talkgroup 425 is FCSO fully encrypted
Talkgroup 435 is "Jail Base"
Talkgroup 443 is "Rocky Mount Police Dept. Tac1" fully encrypted
Talkgroup 445 is Rocky Mount Police Dept. Tac 2" fully encrypted
Talkgroup 461 is Company 9 Fire & Rescue
Talkgroup 448 is "Sanitation"
Talkgroup 487 is "Special Events" previously P25 phase1
Talkgroup 488 is "Special Events" previously P25 phase 1
Talkgroup 489 is Special Evenrts" previously P25 phase 1
Talkgroup 500 is "Training"
Talkgroup 505 is "Animal Control"

greggyboy88

RR is a little backwards, and should be fixed. It was a little confusing, when I first started, but since listening for a while it has cleared up for me.
421 is not listed as service type dispatch, but it is, and is encrypted.
416 is listed as service type dispatch but it is not, and it is also clear.
I live on the North face of Grassy Hill about 1/2 mile from the repeater. I am running a Bearcat536HP and it works very well for me. I actually use a lot of the old VHF channels as priority channels as I can get them clear without the simulcast distortion. Let me know if I can help you any more,

kcamper1969

Thanks for the reply. I am curious about the 100% encryption for Sheriff. With this movement sweeping across the country, I wouldn't doubt it, but I am getting conflicting information. I see on RR it only mentions encryption on the TAC and Mobile TAC channels, but not dispatch. Plus, I did some other google searching and didn't come across anything related to them moving to 100% encryption. Would be interesting to find this out definitively before I purchased anything.

Where were you seeing that it is encrypted? (By the way, not saying you are wrong at all..just curious to get more info - not only from the standpoint of myself as a hobbiest, but just in general as a citizen, this of course bothers me and I am not going to get into it as it seems to be banned from discussion around here now).

Thanks again!

we live in roanoke, and from what i can gather, the mobiles are encrypted. the rest is understandable,,,i use a bearcat bcd436hp, and have 2 motorola xts5000's, and an xts2500. they pick up a lot better than the 436hp, but it still does a heck of a job

fredva

Feed Provider
A database submission from somebody in that area with the updated talkgroups and encryption info could be very helpful for a person thinking about spending $400 or $650 on a scanner.

greggyboy88

The Grassy Knob you refer to on the parkway is in N.C. it is not the same as my Grassy Hill. Years ago, on my Grassy Hill, there was a fire tower on it, as it one of the higher places in Franklin County. Now just several cell phone towers, as well as the radio repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.