Va Beach system signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Looking for an explanation concerning the following. I am not well versed in radio systems and coverage.

My Unication G5 with the RS 800 antenna when used in a vehicle looses the signal many times while driving in the number streets at the Cities north end. Additionally I must have the G5 in its charger connected to an external roof top antenna to receive any signal in my home, and I am in the number streets near Ft. Story. It seems this area is a dead spot, for lack of a more technical term.

Today I went to Portsmouth near the 264 and Greenwood exit. Four bars and never dropped out once.

Could someone explain how/why the happens.

Not that it matters much since the city is spending 5 million to encrypt everything. Many they are covering up the poor system???

MotoTRK

The North End it notorious for very spotty radio coverage. I know at some points there are cases where even the cities mobiles cant get out along Shore Dr around Ft. Story. This is a well known issue within the city.

kc4jgc

The North End it notorious for very spotty radio coverage. I know at some points there are cases where even the cities mobiles cant get out along Shore Dr around Ft. Story. This is a well known issue within the city.

Trees are excellent RF absorbers; as you know there is a huge forest that way especially on Shore Drive. During the Shamrock Marathon, ARES has to use a crossband repeater on a hill at Ft. Story in order for the ops on the course to reach net control at the ocean front.

MotoTRK

There is no cross band repeater dedicated to the OPS of shamrock on the ham side setup at Ft Story, as of 3 years ago a second VHF repeater has always been utilized creating a "North" channel and "South" channel. Many operators decide to cross band onto the "South" repeater as that is where most of the action occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.