RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

Virginia Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Virginia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2018, 1:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Fluvanns p25 to be extended

New Communications System Aims to Help First Responders React Faster New Communications System Aims to Help First Responders React Fa - WVIR NBC29 Charlottesville News, Sports, and Weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2018, 8:09 AM

I know many will say this is for the best but I am not for this at all. Going with the Fluvanna P25 system will most likely mean encryption for Louisa on LE.

I would love to know more about this and who will control the system itself. I would assume that if Louisa is paying for half of the infrastructure they should have a say in how it is set up for their TG's but who knows...
Old 12-03-2018, 1:15 PM

From a public safety standpoint this is definitely going to improve radio traffic for Louisa. Their system sounds terrible and has some coverage issues in the county. As for the ability to listen to to new system when they get it, it probably wont be good for scanner listening. Prior to narrow banding the sheriffs office was encrypted. Narrow banding made that encryption obsolete.
Old 12-03-2018, 1:42 PM

I listen to the system almost daily and can agree that it does have some bad audio. What kind of Analog encryption were they using? I didn't listen to them prior to the narrowbanding mandate so I am not sure.
Old 12-05-2018, 1:23 PM

Prior to narrow banding they had DVP-XL on the Sheriffs channel. P25 is night and day different from that digital signal.
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2018, 9:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening world.
Question

Has anyone personally observed Phase-2 groups being used on Fluvanna's VHF-Highband P-25 system?

RR Database lists it as Phase-2, but no talkgroups are noted as being TDMA. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9394
Old 12-10-2018, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4cvn View Post
Has anyone personally observed Phase-2 groups being used on Fluvanna's VHF-Highband P-25 system?

RR Database lists it as Phase-2, but no talkgroups are noted as being TDMA. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9394

I scan this system frequently and have yet to see a TDMA talkgroup being used.