MotoTRBO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
With the growing popularity of MotoTRBO does anyone know if it would be possible to have an application such as UniTrunker to track calls and users? (UniTRBO? :) ) Or would it be impractical to extract this type of data from TRBO transmissions.

VE3JSO

from what i heard they are working on the possiblity to track mototrbo but it won't come out for a year or two

fineshot1

Such applications decode the control channel of a trunking system and can use a scanner for recpetion of the control channel. MotoTRBO is not a trunking system and uses no control channel to track off of and you would need a MotoTRBO radio to receive. This is not to say that something won't be developed but first you would need a MotoTRBO radio to start with and already know the frequencies involved before hand.

SCPD

QRT
TRBO is based on a published EAI standard. The standard includes trunking capabilities but not all TRBO systems use trunking. This is very possible but not something I personally have time for at the moment. I suspect that may slowly change as the format becomes more popular. The GNU radio folks might also be working on this.

N

N_Jay

TRBO is based on a published EAI standard. The standard includes trunking capabilities but not all TRBO systems use trunking. This is very possible but not something I personally have time for at the moment. I suspect that may slowly change as the format becomes more popular. The GNU radio folks might also be working on this.

Hmmm, maybe a ETSI standard?:wink:

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Isn't MOTOTRBO simply 2 slot TDMA. Similar to OpenSky and P25 Phase II? At some point won't it be necessary for scanners to demod/decode 2 and 4 slot TDMA?

Russell

N

N_Jay

Isn't MOTOTRBO simply 2 slot TDMA. Similar to OpenSky and P25 Phase II? At some point won't it be necessary for scanners to demod/decode 2 and 4 slot TDMA?

Russell

Saying "2 slot TDMA" is about as specific as saying "AC Electric circuit", or "Round Rubber Tire".
There are more unanswered important factors than provided information.

P25 Phase 2, OpenSky (even the two slot) and MotoTrbo are as much different as they are the same.

A receiver would have to be DESIGN SPECIFICALLY to receive each.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thanks for the input folks. I realize TRBO, as it is now, isn't a trunking protocol which would fall into the 'trunking decoder' software realm, but each transmission does contain packets detailing caller ID, group ID etc etc which can hopefully be extracted someday and provide a little detail on the transmissions. At least something to hold us over until the first TRBO scanners :)

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I have heard that TRBO can have multiple conversations going on at the same time on one frequency. Looks like it would be hard to decode this. I hope someone can break the code and get a scanner on the market soon. My whole county will soon be TRBO.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
MotoTRBO Tricks

Yep, not only can you have 2 digital conversations going on at the same time, through the same repeater (tnx to the 2 time slots), but you can have one T/S doing digital voice and the other doing digital data (128K). You can also network repeaters together over the internet, so you can have one T/S for local area comms and the other one for wide-area linked use. We have a few customers that are very interested in this application.

Lots more cool applications are coming down the pike.

Editorial opinion: I doubt you will see much interest in the scanner manufacturing community to develop a MotoTRBO tracking scanner unless there is a HUGE influx of Public Safety entities going to it.

Larry

N

N_Jay

Yep, not only can you have 2 digital conversations going on at the same time, through the same repeater (tnx to the 2 time slots), but you can have one T/S doing digital voice and the other doing digital data (128K). You can also network repeaters together over the internet, so you can have one T/S for local area comms and the other one for wide-area linked use. We have a few customers that are very interested in this application.

Lots more cool applications are coming down the pike.

Editorial opinion: I doubt you will see much interest in the scanner manufacturing community to develop a MotoTRBO tracking scanner unless there is a HUGE influx of Public Safety entities going to it.

Larry

128K? I don't think so.

The interface may be 128k, but over the air will be about 4.8k max.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
I have heard that TRBO can have multiple conversations going on at the same time on one frequency. Looks like it would be hard to decode this. I hope someone can break the code and get a scanner on the market soon. My whole county will soon be TRBO.

Not as hard as you'd think, look at all the data that passes over a control channel, and you have multiple conversations and data at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.