RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software

Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software - For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats and trunking control channels. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 2:39 PM

Edit: I found the problem

Last edited by mk262; 07-09-2012 at 2:44 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
That let's you specify a range of radio ID's that will be allowed access to the repeater, but I don't think it would stop anyone from making their own group and using a radio ID within the permitted range. It's a start though... I'm surprised the repeaters don't have the option to only pass a list of approved group ID's.
You can do the group and individual id's in access management. So, if they try and access your system....your gonna hear/know
Old 07-10-2012, 9:44 AM
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Really? I only saw where you could setup ranges for groups. I may well have been using an old version of software too. None the less, it's a good idea for sure.
Old 07-12-2012, 2:39 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ian,

I noticed something strange, but I don't know if it's just me.

I had been running DMRDecode on a particular laptop. On that laptop, I had to Unselect "Invert Signal". And, even with the latest build it would never show the ConnectPlus system information in the lower right. I could see it on the screen scrolling down, but it wouldn't show up in the lower right. This was an XP laptop I was running on.

I just got a Win7 laptop today and installed DMRDecode on it. The audio device is such that I no longer have to UNselect "Invert Signal" - it must be inverted.

The odd thing is that on this new laptop, I'm suddenly seeing the System information displayed in the bottom right corner.

Is there any chance that selecting/deselecting the "Invert Signal" option could make a difference as to whether or not System information was shown in the bottom right corner? I guess the question is: Do you think this is a bug?

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 07-13-2012, 8:37 AM

Hello Mike
It shouldn't make any difference but I will try to have a look over the weekend to see if we have a bug.

Regards

Ian
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2012, 6:58 PM
Mentor
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ive noticed the invert/not invert before too across different laptops and pc's. Seems different sound cards see the signal differently.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, I've seen this with the DOS version of Trunker. I think it could be a sound card issue.
Old 07-17-2012, 7:09 AM

Hello All
I have just uploaded DMRDecode build 51 to Github ..

https://github.com/IanWraith/DMRDecode/downloads

This fixes a bug where PI Header PDUs weren't error checked or displayed in previous builds.

Note that the contents of PI Headers aren't defined in the DMR standards but are manufacturer specific. They appear to be used to support encryption but we can't be 100% sure of that. So it will be interesting to see what we get.

For the moment the program just displays the PI Header PDU payload as binary but it will be interesting to see if we can make any sense of it as a group.

Regards

Ian
Old 07-17-2012, 2:21 PM

Hi Folks
A bug has been found in build 51. It decodes PI Headers sent in DMR Data frames fine but when they are sent in DMR Embedded frames it doesn't. I will try and fix this tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Incidentally I'm not seeing any PI Headers on any of the systems I monitor here but other users are reporting them.

Regards

Ian
Old 07-17-2012, 2:47 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWraith View Post
Hi Folks
A bug has been found in build 51. It decodes PI Headers sent in DMR Data frames fine but when they are sent in DMR Embedded frames it doesn't. I will try and fix this tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Incidentally I'm not seeing any PI Headers on any of the systems I monitor here but other users are reporting them.

Regards

Ian
I haven't seen any PI headers on the systems I monitor either.... or at least I wasn't seeing anything different on the DMRDecode screen.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 07-18-2012, 2:25 AM

Hi Folks

I have just uploaded build 52 to Github ..

This fixes the bug where PI Headers in embedded frames were being ignored.

To see if you have any of these on the systems you monitor , log for a while and then search for the phrase "PI Header" using a text editor.

Regards

Ian
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Database Admin

Ian,

If it's not too much trouble, may I suggest that you add the ability for the program to save some preferences for the user? For example, every time I open the program, I uncheck "Display CACH" and check "Display Good Frames Only." If there was a preferences box in the program, I could set it so those items were the way I want them when the program was opened. Also, it would be nice to have a way of specifying a default location for "Save to File."

Thank you so much for all the work you've put into this program.

Dave
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Seņor Member
Database Admin

Hi Dave;

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtscho View Post
Also, it would be nice to have a way of specifying a default location for "Save to File."
You can create a shortcut and edit the "Start In" path to point anywhere you like.
Old 07-24-2012, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtscho View Post
If it's not too much trouble, may I suggest that you add the ability for the program to save some preferences for the user? For example, every time I open the program, I uncheck "Display CACH" and check "Display Good Frames Only." If there was a preferences box in the program, I could set it so those items were the way I want them when the program was opened. Also, it would be nice to have a way of specifying a default location for "Save to File."
That's a good idea. Build 53 can now be downloaded from the usual place ..

In the "Main" menu you will find a new item "Save Settings" which when clicked saves the programs current settings to a file DMRDecode_settings.xml. Then on start up the program reads in this file and sets its settings from it as required.

The only feature I can't add is the default location for the "Save to File". I tried this before on one of my other decoder problems and ran into some odd problems related either to Java or different versions of operating systems. Sorry about that.

Anyway give build 53 a try and if anyone finds any problems please let me know. Also feature suggestions are always welcome.

Regards

Ian
Old 07-24-2012, 8:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have tested DMRDecode on an admittedly insufficient computer. All I have seen on the display is a series of what look like dots and dashes moving along the left edge of the screen.

Having just ordered a quad core machine, I look forward to seeing what this program can do.
Old 07-24-2012, 9:48 AM
Mentor
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It certainly doesn't like older hardware. I picked up a P4 3.2ghz pc for $25 and thought I might run it on that. Nada. Pretty much any older single core machine won't cut it. Works great in my little netbook with an Atom CPU though.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Colour me a bit confused...I though the CPU horsepower problem was more
with DSD decoding digital voice, not so much with DMRDecode. I've run up to
Build 49 of the latter on three machines (laptop, netbook, and desktop) which
are all trailing-edge single-core running 1.6-1.8GHz and seem to have no
problems decoding. I wonder if Dave's problem is something else... In any
case, having a high-suds processor will be useful/necessary for DSD.

Thanks Ian for all your efforts!

Dave (2)

Last edited by DaveH; 07-24-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Mentor
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Maybe those CPU's support hyper threading? Ian had reported in the past that DMR Decode won't run on older, single threaded CPU's. I've tried it on a few P4 desktop machines and they all choked.
Old 07-24-2012, 1:24 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I can't figure out why, but I thought we were talking about DSD. If you are having trouble getting good decodes on DMRDecode, it requires significantly strong and clean signal. Ian mentioned that there is error checking that could/should be done [and I'm surmising might be done down the road] but isn't being done now -- which would explain why there are a lot of errors in DMRDecode with anything but the best of signals.

I had asked Ian about using a filter similar to what Woodpecker used in DSD, and Ian responded with an explanation of how things currently are in DMRDecode. I'll try to dig up the relevant discussion.

At any rate, I agree that DMRDecode isn't really taxing on a CPU. If you are getting a lot of errors in DMRDecode it's probably due to input audio gain too low or too high, or the signal not being strong enough / having too much noise mixed in with it.

At least that's my take.

Mike

Old 07-24-2012, 1:29 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok. Posts #357 - 360+ in this very thread [that we are in now] have some information pertaining to DMRDecode and what I describe as more errors than I would expect.

http://forums.radioreference.com/dig...ml#post1777508

According to Ian, DMRDecode does indeed have a filter such as the one used in DSD, but it may not be as stout (he didn't want CPU cycles to be an issue).

Further down in post 359 or so I think he goes on to mention some other things about error correction.

Mike

Tags
dmr, sticky, trbo