RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software

Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software - For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats and trunking control channels. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 3:10 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonl View Post
Mike, I thought I read that DSD doesn't decode any NEXEDGE trunking ?
It picks up some sort of NEXEDGE. I've copied some info in DSD from NEXEDGE transmissions from some distant school systems. Trunking? Maybe not. I am pretty sure WVU has a trunked system that I hear sometimes -- but have never been able to get any information in DSD. That might explain it.

So, maybe it doesn't do trunking, but are you sure it's a trunked channel? Hmm, nevermind that question. If it's transmitting contantly, it's likely trunked.

You may be right. It hought it was the other way around though [that DSD would decode trunking of TRBO / NXDN but not necessarily conventional repeaters].

mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2012, 3:11 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWraith View Post
Lindsay - The only control channel I can't decode that well around here is a Capacity Plus system belonging to a local government. When it isn't doing anything it transmits a couple of frames then shuts down for a second then transmits a couple of frames and so on. The symbol timing code in DMRDecode (and DSD because its the same) can't establish symbol timing quick enough before the system goes quiet. When there is activity though the channel transmits as normal and DMRDecode is fine with it.
I've run across that scenario a few times. Didn't understand why it was [or wasn't] happening. Now I do

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 08-14-2012, 5:10 PM

>I thought I read that DSD doesn't decode any NEXEDGE trunking ?

I've only come across 1 Nexedge trunking system so far: DSD couldn't decode any of the data on the trunking channel, but it was able to decode the associated Nexedge (actually NXDN 6.25khz) voice channels ok: so quite similar behaviour to decoding a MPT1327 system on a conventional analogue scanner.

Jim
Old 08-14-2012, 7:28 PM
Seņor Member
Database Admin

Quote:
You know what - I think these control channels that I am attempting to decode are actually NEXEDGE control channels.
Yep.

S & P Communications NEXEDGE Trunking System, San Antonio, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Quote:
It looks like the MotoTRBO systems here are actually Capacity Plus channels - NOT Connect Plus..
I didn't see either. At least DMRDecode didnt identify the channels as either. There seems to be a handful of conventional DMR channels in the San Antonio area.
Old 08-18-2012, 6:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey guys,

What is all needed to run the DMRDECODE application? I can either use my Macbook Pro laptop or my fathers Windows based laptop.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2012, 6:58 PM
Mentor
Database Admin

You just need Java installed basically. I've used it on Windows and Linux with no problems, but haven't tried it on a Mac. Shouldn't be a problem though.
Old 08-18-2012, 7:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
You just need Java installed basically. I've used it on Windows and Linux with no problems, but haven't tried it on a Mac. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Do I need any cables to use it with my scanner? How do I set it up to make it work with the Mototrbo channels I am trying to decode.
Old 08-18-2012, 7:34 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git-R-Done View Post
Do I need any cables to use it with my scanner? How do I set it up to make it work with the Mototrbo channels I am trying to decode.
You need a scanner with a discriminator tap [or a scanner that provides the IF audio via a jack, such as a PSR-800]. You'll need a mono audio cable from the headphone jack on your scanner to the Line-In [preferably] or mic-in [if you don't have a line-in] on your computer.

Normal speaker jack audio from a scanner isn't going to work.

Discriminator output - The RadioReference Wiki

M

Old 08-18-2012, 8:14 PM
Seņor Member
Database Admin

There was a problem with Java runtime on Macs not supporting the required 48,000 sample rate. Don't know Oracle ever fixed that.
Old 08-18-2012, 9:18 PM
Database Admin

I've used DMRDecode on a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air. I'm using a PSR-800, a Monoprice audio cable, and the iMic USB device. It's nice to not have to switch over to Windows to run the program.

Dave
Old 08-25-2012, 1:49 PM
Troublemaker
Database Admin

This program is fantastic, many thanks for writing it, Ian! In the span of about 15 minutes, I was able to easily ID over 30 Connect Plus sites. Very cool indeed.
Old 08-25-2012, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
This program is fantastic, many thanks for writing it, Ian! In the span of about 15 minutes, I was able to easily ID over 30 Connect Plus sites. Very cool indeed.
Thanks for the kind words it's always good to hear from users.

Regards

Ian
Old 09-15-2012, 5:50 PM

I am just starting to use this program and have a question....

Is there any way or plan to implement the use of the Control Channel Output setting on Uniden scanners? Not sure if it is even possible to do but might be a good alternative to a discriminator tap for those with newer Uniden products.
Old 09-15-2012, 5:52 PM
Mentor
Database Admin

It won't work... The program needs true discriminator audio from the scanner.
Old 09-15-2012, 5:59 PM

You would think that the Control Channel output would be pretty close to that. I do wonder HOW it could be implemented in the future though.

Anyway, I guess I will just start looking for a scanner with a discriminator tap. All I need to do with this program is plug in the tapped scanner to the microphone port and run the program, correct?
Old 09-15-2012, 6:03 PM
Mentor
Database Admin

Pretty much, yes that is all you need to do. Some sound cards play better than others but with any luck you'll be ok. I have a newer Dell laptop and I cannot use the onboard audio with it.. Doesn't work at all. I picked up a little USB audio dongle from eBay and it works great.
Old 09-15-2012, 6:05 PM

FYI: The GRE PSR-500,600 & Radio Shack Pro-106 utilizes the USB port for discriminator audio.
I realize that info doesn't do you any good with the hardware you have, but just for future reference.
Old 09-15-2012, 6:09 PM

Meaning I could use one of those without a discriminator tap and the USB cable that comes with them? I have access to a PRO-106 that I could use if that is the case...
Old 09-15-2012, 6:16 PM
Troublemaker
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKurtz View Post
FYI: The GRE PSR-500,600 & Radio Shack Pro-106 utilizes the USB port for discriminator audio.
I realize that info doesn't do you any good with the hardware you have, but just for future reference.
GRE scanners pass data (CCDump) through the PC/IF (USB) port, they do not pass discriminator audio. Very big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF1224 View Post
Meaning I could use one of those without a discriminator tap and the USB cable that comes with them? I have access to a PRO-106 that I could use if that is the case...
No. As Forts stated, DMRDecode requires raw, unfiltered audio from a discriminator tap, it will not work with a "data dump" like GRE or Uniden provide through the USB/serial ports.
Old 09-15-2012, 6:39 PM

Gotcha.. that clears it up a lot.

Thanks Guys!

Tags
dmr, sticky, trbo