Are These 4-Level Data Slicers Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Order Information

Finally found a seller that has pre-built 4-level data slicers for sale. Has anyone used these and are they any good? How do I tell what kind of DC plug I need to power it with?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
With what application are you going to use it? There are many soundcard-based apps for trunking nowadays that a data slicer is almost nostalgic....best regards..Mike

morfis

Order Information

Finally found a seller that has pre-built 4-level data slicers for sale. Has anyone used these and are they any good? How do I tell what kind of DC plug I need to power it with?

Good quality and Rene provides good service/support. Connector is a standard 12V co-axial type as used by a lot of desktop/mobile radios (IIRC it's the same size as the Unidens).

Can't comment on the price except to say that the price is good for Europe and I've bought several because the cost seemed reasonable for the quality given the cost of the parts and my own time when building circuits.

CanesFan95

Wow. Those components are so small and close together. How do people solder stuff like that? I can barely solder 2 wires together without the solder running off and drying up into a bead that falls to the counter and I'm still left with 2 bare wires. LOL.

n5ims

Wow. Those components are so small and close together. How do people solder stuff like that? I can barely solder 2 wires together without the solder running off and drying up into a bead that falls to the counter and I'm still left with 2 bare wires. LOL.

Use a good temperature controlled soldering iron (often called a soldering station) at the minimal heat level to do the job. Using too much heat often just melts the solder and causes it to run while using the correct amount of heat melts the solder onto what you're soldering it to and give you a good joint.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
With what application are you going to use it? There are many soundcard-based apps for trunking nowadays that a data slicer is almost nostalgic....best regards..Mike

<bump> this question was never answered. For what kind of app would you need a 4 level slicer? best regards..Mike

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sounds to me like your tip is ruined. The tip is supposed to be shiny and hold solder on it.

CanesFan95

Went ahead and ordered it and it's working just fine on the intended software program. :)

SCPD

QRT
I should point out that 4LFSK decoders will also handle 2 level signals. Unfortunately, the one HB just purchased does not appear to support the bit rates specific to 2 level trunking signals. They are:

3600, bps (Motorola)
4800, and 9600 bps (EDACS)
300 bps (for LTR)

As a bonus for MPT1327

7200 bps (6X over-sample) -- or --
1200 bps (native FFSK)

:D

SCPD

QRT
Don't these also use a soundcard, or is a 4-level slicer still going to give better results?
Around 1998-1999., these were slicer-only programs (except perhaps PDW which did not yet exist).

WinFLEX folded under legal pressure from Motorola.

I haven't kept up with the other pager decoders (and we're drifting off topic again).

KA1RBI

The FLEX 3200 bps paging protocol is decoded by WinFlex, POCflex, and PDW.

Also Gnu Radio, although I think an hour or so of python hackery might be needed to interface to the soundcard (and disc. tap). Nonetheless, full source is available for it, of course. See the gr-pager subdir.

Best Regards

Max

CanesFan95

I should point out that 4LFSK decoders will also handle 2 level signals. Unfortunately, the one HB just purchased does not appear to support the bit rates specific to 2 level trunking signals.

I couldn't find any other sellers of 4-level data slicers though.

SCPD

QRT
Texas Two Way was a former source for pre-built slicers. Most were home built. RR member Pro92b wrote an excellent analysis of the various popular slicer circuits. Apparently some were prone to oscillation. Maybe Bill can draft a new review.

Status
Not open for further replies.