RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software

Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software - For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats and trunking control channels. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 5:03 PM

Got some garble. Is there a way to see on the scrolling if it is encrypted? The garble is not very often. The cpu cycle are not high during the decode.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2013, 5:21 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1300 View Post
Got some garble. Is there a way to see on the scrolling if it is encrypted? The garble is not very often. The cpu cycle are not high during the decode.

Thanks
If there is a way to tell if it's encrypted in DSD itself, I don't know [and basically don't care myself].

You might need to invert the signal. If you are using the -xr switch with DSD, don't use it. If you aren't using it, do add -xr on to the end of the DSD commandline and see if you are able to copy anything sensible.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 01-06-2013, 5:40 PM

I am using this: dsd -i /dev/dsp -o /dev/dsp -xr

This is the only thing I hear any audio on. All other commands there is no audio.
Old 01-06-2013, 6:40 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Update: Got it scrolling good now. No voice decode now. There is a hissing sound in with the audio. What could that be?

Thanks
I don't know about any "hissing" sound. I don't even know if you have a good tap at this point. before you proceed any further you need to find a way to determine if your tap is good. I don't mess with motorolas so I can't tell you where to tap it or anything.

Somebody else is going to have to chime in and help you out at this point.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 01-06-2013, 6:51 PM

I have come to the conclusion that all the frequencies here and around here are encrypted and no luck monitoring them. I can upload a few sound bits from the recorded audio I got. I even tried it my windows 7 laptop with dual cores and still the same sound.

Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks
If you got garble then you are most likely decoding. Does it sound like digital garble? My experience with DSD is mostly with Nexedge. This is not an engineered scanner capable of flawlessly decoding digital so keep that in mind. However I can decode a Nexedge site pretty much error free with an external antenna from a city that is about 5 miles away. You MUST have a good signal. I would say you have to be pretty much saturated. Before this particular site when Nexedge I could hear them static free with a rubber duckie. To decode them now I pretty much have to have an outside antenna about 20 ft high. Does the screen scroll when you are hearing garble?
Old 01-06-2013, 7:44 PM

Yes, the screen rolls. I can see all the lines and the info. They move fast but the audio is garbled. I did not make out one word though. I could not even tell if they were male or female. It kinda sounded like the old nextel garble when you got really poor service. Yes I have a great signal. The transmitter is about 1.5 miles from me and I can here it without an antenna. I am using a 5/8 wave outdoor antenna. So, the signal is very strong.
Old 01-06-2013, 8:20 PM

Here is my findings after using all the modes

fa scrolls not decode
f1 nothing
fd nothing
fi nothing
fn nothing
fp nothing
fr scrolls no decode
fx nothing
ma scrolls no decode
mc scrolls no decode
mg scrolls no decode
mq scrolls no decode
xx scrolls no decode
xr scrolls garbled audio

What do you think? Encrypted?
Old 01-06-2013, 9:28 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Here is my findings after using all the modes

fa scrolls not decode
f1 nothing
fd nothing
fi nothing
fn nothing
fp nothing
fr scrolls no decode
fx nothing
ma scrolls no decode
mc scrolls no decode
mg scrolls no decode
mq scrolls no decode
xx scrolls no decode
xr scrolls garbled audio

What do you think? Encrypted?
I think might want to do dsd -fr -ff (not that these will really help you -- -ff is assumed on and -fr just forces only TRBO). If -fr scrolls and no decode and then -fr -xr scrolls and _constantly_ provides garbled audio, then you probably do _not_ want to use the -xr switch.

dsd -ff -fr -i /dev/dsp -o /dev/dsp -u 5

Then while it sits there and scrolls but you don't hear anything, be patient. It's entirely possible that _they_arent_talking_. Seriously man, do you really expect to hear them talking 24/7, each and every time you fire up DSD? My local police and SO can go an hour without saying a single word.

So just run those options above and let it go on and on while you're doing other things on the computer, and then see if you eventually hear a conversation.

If you were to install and run DMRDECODE [without me providing instructions], the latest versions of DMRDecode will tell you if privacy is enabled. In DMRDecode you may or may not have to select the 'inverted' option. In DMRDecode, if you see voice frames constantly (minute after minute after minute nonstop), then you need to change the invertness in DMRDecode.

Mike

Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 PM

on the FD. you can hear the dispatcher because they are simulcasted. All the other units are trbo. So I do know that there is traffic on the freq. I will try you string. The DMR DECODE is the java version and have playing with that and will do more and let you know soon.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM

Yep, just as I thought. It is encrypted

Group Voice Channel User LC
Service Options : Non-emergency/Privacy Enabled/No priority
Group Address : 5000 Source Address : 1
9:35:45 PM Short LC : Act_Updt - Group voice activity on BS time slot 1
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 PM

Thanks for all the help. 73's
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Yep, just as I thought. It is encrypted

Group Voice Channel User LC
Service Options : Non-emergency/Privacy Enabled/No priority
Group Address : 5000 Source Address : 1
9:35:45 PM Short LC : Act_Updt - Group voice activity on BS time slot 1
I am really sorry to hear that.... especially since I think you said it was a fire department. They have no real good reason to go TRBO let alone encryped TRBO. Good grief.

I have my tin foil hat on now -- if that's a fire department, they are hiding somethin

Mike

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM

Well all I know is it is a new radio system going up in stages in stages. (hard to get info when you are in the loop or have connections) The PD's went trbo, then the FD's, Then the county FD's. From what I understand this system is all supposed to be tied together to all the orginial freqs and the new issued ones for a total digi system with more channels and better coverage. I do not know how that is going to work without trunking.

I am just a scanner buff that misses listening ti the FD's. I really don't care much to listen to all the PD stuff. I can understand the PD being encrypted. I am betting that if they are connecting all the channels it has to be the same as for encryption or not. Just a guess.
All this new technology has really thrown me for a loop, as for monitoring.
Thanks again for all the help.

73's
Old 01-07-2013, 4:23 PM

Ive always just messed with DSD for linux. Does anyone have the windows zip file for the windows port version. The download site does not work.
Old 01-07-2013, 4:42 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazpo View Post
Ive always just messed with DSD for linux. Does anyone have the windows zip file for the windows port version. The download site does not work.
The "Minus" sites that are liked for the specific 1.4/1.5/1.6 versions are sporadic. Some days you can download from them, but other days you cannot.

The "Backup Site for Windows binaries" works.

Digital Speech Decoder (software package) - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Old 01-07-2013, 5:03 PM

Ok, So you have not heard of anything malicious with those files on the backup site?
Old 01-07-2013, 5:21 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Ok, So you have not heard of anything malicious with those files on the backup site?
That's not for me to say. It's _my_ site that has those files. I have used every one of them. However, I didn't "create" those files. I can't vouch for whether or not they contain viruses or anything like that. Those files were all provided by members of this forum who at one time or another compiled them.

When Minus was up, one day I just copied them all and put them on my site as a backup.

So, you get the disclaimer -- if you download them and suddenly something bad happens to your computer, you can't blame me.

Download from there if you want, or wait until Minus is back up and download from them.

Mike

Old 01-07-2013, 5:57 PM

Got it..nevermind.

OK . So the installation of the Cgwin stuff threw me off. I have a shell now. I was assuming that I needed a DLL file and then I could simply run the dsd.exe file. Was I wrong? Do I run it from this shell??

Last edited by frazpo; 01-07-2013 at 6:08 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 6:36 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Got it..nevermind.

OK . So the installation of the Cgwin stuff threw me off. I have a shell now. I was assuming that I needed a DLL file and then I could simply run the dsd.exe file. Was I wrong? Do I run it from this shell??
Hmm, you should need the DLL if you don't have Cygwin installed. Are you saying you have Cygwin installed? Or are you calling the DOS prompot a shell?

You should be abl to just click on the ExE and run it (if you have the cygwin dll or cygwin installed). Of course, just clicking on it and executing is going to assume some defaults. And chances are that you will want to add some of the command line switches. For that you'd want to open a DOS Prompt, navigate to the directory where hte exe is, and run:

dsd --help (or maybe dsd160 -help)

Make sure tht you set your Windows Default Recording Device to whatever you'r getting your audio from and that you set your Windows Default PLayback device to wherever you want the outputted sound to go to.

Mike

Tags