OK I understand I have to install linux for the best outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

OK I looked at the dsd site and realize to utilize the full power of dsd I really have to install linux I have a i3 with all Intel hardware and 8gigs of ram I'm not afraid of camandline I grew up with dos and 3.1 I have used Ubuntu 12.04 and opensuse 12.2 all that being said I am more comfortable with debein based distros also What basic scanner is ideal for dsd
Thank you

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Forget the scanner and go SDR.. There's plenty of DVB-T sticks available that will work without modification for under $20..

Just do a little searching and you'll find all sorts of info..

hfflunki

OK I'll check it out I looked into it and would you connect sdt# to dsd through jack client using gladish session manager I don't really want to buy a virtual audio cable software and wait until the updates are ported to Windows

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'm not that up on Linux based SDR usage.. But I'm sure there are those here that are..If not, I'm sure the info is out there on the interwebs somewhere.

hfflunki

OK I looked into it gnu radio now supports rtl Sdr and I still can't imagine how it's cheaper to run a dangle when adding an antenna connector fittings and all the bs of getting it running along with buying a copy of virtual audio cable and installing drivers that are unlicensed I just don't get it

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Incidentally, although you may have more free resources when running Linux [which theoretically might benefit you if you are running a lower end computer], you won't have access to DSD 1.6 source. DSD 1.6 is better than 1.4 / 1.5. In order to use DSD 1.6 you'll need Windows, since a windows Binary is all that exists in the public for DSD 1.6.

Additionally, although i have personally stated that one needs a multicore CPU of decent clockspeed for best decode, there have been others that say they decode 100% with an i3 without issue. I don't believe it, but that's what they tell me.

So, maybe you'll have much good fortune running an i3 + Windows + DSD 1.6. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get a good decode on a low end computer.

Mike

hfflunki

Thanks Mike thanks that's just what I wanted to know I don't have a fastest enough pc well that bites good thing I didn't order anything OK cool thanks again

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
OK I looked into it gnu radio now supports rtl Sdr and I still can't imagine how it's cheaper to run a dangle when adding an antenna connector fittings and all the bs of getting it running along with buying a copy of virtual audio cable and installing drivers that are unlicensed I just don't get it

Then ignore everything I've said and do it the way you want. Buy a scanner, install the discriminator tap and run that way..

My DVB-T plus the VAC license was still less than even a used scanner, and receives a bunch more spectrum. (I already had antenna adapters)

In the end we all take the info given and make our own decision. That's the fun of a hobby..

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks Mike thanks that's just what I wanted to know I don't have a fastest enough pc well that bites good thing I didn't order anything OK cool thanks again

Actually, I suggested that multicore was best. However, my gripe was that some people running Pentium D's (ancient) were getting 100% decodes and weren't using nearly 100% cpu. Well, I call foul on that and think anyone who makes such a claim is full of baloney.

your i3 may work extremely well. That's a much newer and more efficient processor than the Pentium D that I used to reference before. I would tell people that if they were running a Pentium D or worse, they should expect very poor performance due to 100% CPU load during decoding.

Give your i3 + windows a try, whether you use a discriminator tap or whether you get some cheap USB dongle (they work great) and run SDR# (sdrsharp.com).

Mike

hfflunki

OK I'm convinced I'll take both advice stick with Windows Sdr sharp dsd and rtl Sdr this is going to be a fun learning experience for me all my hf radios were traditional radio as well as old scanners

hfflunki

All this being said should I I get a standard neoflec or are there better ones to look for

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
All this being said should I I get a standard neoflec or are there better ones to look for

To be honest, I couldn't say. I know that people say some are better than others because some cover more spectrum whereas some others have some gaps. But, for anything you'd normally listen to on the scanner, they are all good. Considering how cheap and easy they are to obtain, just pick one of your choice. I have an EZCap 665 or something like that. I also have a Noelec of some sort, although I can't remember the model. They both work really well to me.

I recommended SDRsharp because I think it is very lightweight on processing. Some of the SDR software out there is really CPU intense display waterfalls and doing general processing. SDR# has always seemed to require the least processor.

I've tried to use SDR-Radio V2 many times, but due to what I believe is some sort of issue within it regarding filtering, I cannot decode any 9600 baud control channels or things like TRBO / NXDN. On the other hand, SDR# (with the filter unchecked) works fine on everything.

Mike

hfflunki

Well when I was into hf near the end anyway when I was getting sick of the political agenda on bcb I decided to go and buy a copy of multipsk from Patrick but my portable radio was unable to get much it uses rtl Sdr do you know if that would be useful along with sdr# for scanning and dsd I can probably get my hands on one pretty soon but I'll have to what to get a decent indoor antenna till universal radio reimburses for my hf radios thanks a lot for all the help

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Well when I was into hf near the end anyway when I was getting sick of the political agenda on bcb I decided to go and buy a copy of multipsk from Patrick but my portable radio was unable to get much it uses rtl Sdr do you know if that would be useful along with sdr# for scanning and dsd I can probably get my hands on one pretty soon but I'll have to what to get a decent indoor antenna till universal radio reimburses for my hf radios thanks a lot for all the help

Sorry man. I can't answer that. That's one big run-on sentence that I can't decipher.

I don't use the cheap dongles for HF - I use the not-so-cheap Funcube Pro+ for HF. I'm unaware of what cheap dongles, if any, provide HF coverage. I use the cheap dongles for 60 mhz+.

mike

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
No insult intended, but I'm with Mike.. Clarification please..

You had a handheld HF that used RTL-SDR?

hfflunki

No I was asking if anybody has used multipsk in fm modes With rtl Sdr. Sorry I get typing in a hurry on my phone and lose punctuation and grammar

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Ahh, OK. Yes, I've done amateur hf digital modes over FM on 2 meters. I used Ham Radio Deluxe at the time and my Icom 706MKIIG.

So yes, you should be able to decode with MultiPSK if it gets the audio.

hfflunki

Well I got dsd to run in Windows took a while but it runs the only problem is that I am a low technology guy and if I bought a e4000 rtl - Sdr I realize the frequency spectrum is larger and no gaps but I don't think I have the ability to set it up so now I am back to a scanner any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.