RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software

Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software - For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats and trunking control channels. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2018, 8:14 PM

Default Awesome program

I just downloaded this program for the first time today and got it working. I am in awe! I ran into to a hardware problem with my radio receivers working with Unitrunker and decided to give this program a shot to see if it could work. It works wonderfully, however I would like to import information from the radio reference database. Is this possible? Awesome work Denny, I really appreciate what you have done here.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2018, 4:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotec117 View Post
I would like to import information from the radio reference database. Is this possible?
Not yet, but it's planned for a future release.

A user created a perl script to import aliases from a CSV list created from RR: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...nk/3UhFCsvhzes
Old 01-25-2018, 6:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've read and attempted multiple times to compile the JMBE for this on multiple PCs with the proper path set in my Env Variables and with the JDK loaded.....and still get the path not found. Any pointers from anyone who may guess where I'm going wrong?
Old 01-26-2018, 3:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by to2way View Post
I've read and attempted multiple times to compile the JMBE for this on multiple PCs with the proper path set in my Env Variables and with the JDK loaded.....and still get the path not found. Any pointers from anyone who may guess where I'm going wrong?
Can you please post a screen shot of the error?

Some checklist items:
1) Do you have the JDK (not JRE) installed?
2) Is the path to the JDK's bin folder specified in the PATH environment variable?

Assuming you're on windows, at the command prompt, type:

Code:
echo %PATH%
Old 01-26-2018, 5:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

On my 64-bit Win10 laptop I see this response/path with the only mention of Java

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2018, 2:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by to2way View Post
On my 64-bit Win10 laptop I see this response/path with the only mention of Java

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath
Here is a good example for adding your JDK to the Windows 10 PATH environment variable:

https://javatutorial.net/set-java-home-windows-10

Make sure that you close and reopen the command window after you make the change so the updates to the PATH variable take effect.
Old 01-27-2018, 8:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

That did it!

I had defined JAVA_HOME, just hadn't did the 2nd step and add the new path

Thanks very much....on to the next step!

Cheers
Old 01-27-2018, 9:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have suspended my use of SDRTrunk temporarily, pending the release of a version with squelch.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 PM

Default Everything but the audio...

I've resumed playing with my RTL SDR dongles recently. I managed to stumble across SDRTrunk, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I installed the latest JRE (all defaults), fired up the .jar file and let it rip. It finds my SDR just fine, setup works great, it appears to decode the control channel, show messages just fine...but no audio. The Windows audio mixer recognizes SDRTrunk as a source.

Starting up STRTrunk from the command line, I get the following error.

23:31:22.065 ERROR i.g.d.m.d.p.a.P25AudioModule - Couldn't find/load JMBE audio conversion library [25MB/62MB 40%]

JRE Version is:

java -version
java version "9.0.4"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 9.0.4+11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 9.0.4+11, mixed mode)

Additionally, there's no speaker icon on the left of the audio control "dock" just a green dot.

I'm running 0.3.3beta3, bog standard Win 10 on a cheap refurbished Lenovo laptop. SDR#, SDR Angel, etc. run fine.

So what am I screwing up? I'm quite familiar with Unix, etc, but but I'm no hot-shot programmer. I saw messages further back in the thread about an older version giving a similar JMBE error - is it still unfixed? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong on this Win 10 machine; what is it? I'd rather cobble together a linux box than dork with compiling software on this throw-away machine.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Denny, thank you for the fantastic software. I am new to SDR and have been using it successfully with a couple of NooElec dongles for the last couple of weeks. I noticed a post from a couple of years back where you stated "I'm adding SDR Play RSP1 support after I change over to a new channelizer architecture.". I don't see RSP1/RSP1A on your supported list of tuners. I recently picked up an RSP1A. Do you have any near term plans to add support for the RSP1A?

Thanks,
TBam
Old 02-03-2018, 2:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

'Near term' is a good question. I will add support for both RSP1 and 1A. My wife got me an RSP1A for Christmas and I haven't taken it out of the box yet. It's sitting next to an RSP1 that is also still new in the box.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:31 AM

Wink Win 7 Install Tip - Be Sure Speakers are Plugged In!

After a couple of great Win 7 installs, one PC gave me fits for days. Same exact Lenovo I-3 desktop model as my other one which had no install problems in Win 7. After clicking on the SDRTrunk jar file, it wouldn't start. I had run the make jmbe win.bat file and it downloaded and compiled it fine. I had the Jmbe Jar file in the same folder and tried many different things with Java. Java seemed installed fine. So I finally opened a terminal window to watch it start. It stopped at the Audio driver, 'No Output Device Found'. Of course I didn't have Speakers plugged in! It will not start at all in Win 7 unless you have some "mein earsplitting Loudspreckers" plugged in! And unless you first start it up in a terminal window, you won't even know what's preventing it from starting.
Old 02-14-2018, 3:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you have an opportunity, could you unplug your speakers, attempt to start the program, and then send me the error/stack trace that you're seeing from the command line.

Ideally, the program should let you know about the issue versus refusing to start.

Thanks in advance,
Denny
Old 04-21-2018, 1:05 PM

Exclamation Aliases Actions Not Working v0.3.4-beta.2

I'm able to assign an identifier and I see the aliases in the now playing window, but when I try to set a file to play under the action section the file will not play. The TEST works fine, it just never triggers. I have also tried to add the BEEP, trying all the Beep Interval options, I never hear a beep. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

Forgot to add, I can hear audio, so I know I have the JMBE setup correctly and my speakers are working, just no action.
Old 04-22-2018, 3:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSTLScanner View Post
I'm able to assign an identifier and I see the aliases in the now playing window, but when I try to set a file to play under the action section the file will not play. The TEST works fine, it just never triggers. I have also tried to add the BEEP, trying all the Beep Interval options, I never hear a beep. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

Forgot to add, I can hear audio, so I know I have the JMBE setup correctly and my speakers are working, just no action.
I tested the alias actions this morning and it looks like they're (partially) broken for the P25 decoder. I'll add a bug ticket to get this fixed.

Sorry about that,
Denny
Old 04-22-2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSheirer View Post
I tested the alias actions this morning and it looks like they're (partially) broken for the P25 decoder. I'll add a bug ticket to get this fixed.

Sorry about that,
Denny
Oh no problem, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. New to SDRTrunk, having fun with it for sure! Thank you so much for this!

-John
Old 05-14-2018, 9:54 AM

Good morning.

I've been trying to use the SDRTrunk software for about a week now. i'm using the 0.3.4-Beta2 version. I'm having trouble with the tuners. In my setup I have two of the R820T dongles. One has 10 dBm better reception than the other, I assume just funky building since they're so cheap. Both receive pretty well.

In the tuners section is one profile. It seems quirky to get the profile where I can edit it. Click a tuner, click another tuner, click the first tuner oh now I can edit profile. I realize it's beta. So I really struggle with the PPM and gain settings. The gain settings look like parameters I would find in the HackRFOne driver. I play with them and see overall noise floor increase or decrease, sometimes signal increase and decrease. I figure there's a happen medium somewhere that won't distort the signal and I think it's probably not distorted. I'm down to the frequency correction. The default was 0. On both of my SDRs I know the proper setting is +55 ppm. I have better luck with decoding audio cleanly around +49 ppm. However it's not always the case. Is there something I can use to help zero in the proper setting and can you explain if I'm doing the tuner profile correctly?

As for my location, I am monitoring from the area of Roberts Rd and I-270. I am tuning to both the Columbus City MARCS site and the Columbus MARCS site. The first is maybe a mile or two away. The second is maybe 4 miles. When I open SDR# and tune the control channels, I do see that 55 ppm centers on the control channel frequency. I do have these set up also as simulcast.

Thank you.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:07 PM

If you have confirmed 55 ppm using sdr# use it in the tuner setup of sdrtrunk for that dongle. Select that dongle from the list and enter 55 in the ppm box - hit enter to have it accepted. Make sur your dongles have different serial numbers or there will be a problem
Old 05-14-2018, 12:24 PM

You're not doing yourself any favors by using old drifty dongles. Also, you need to park the dongles on a control channel for at least five minutes and let them warm up, then dial in the PPM adjustment.
Old 05-15-2018, 3:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcferrin90 View Post
In the tuners section is one profile. It seems quirky to get the profile where I can edit it. Click a tuner, click another tuner, click the first tuner oh now I can edit profile. I realize it's beta. So I really struggle with the PPM and gain settings.
Do each of your tuner's have a different name/label? The software remembers the tuner configuration settings for each tuner by name.

You can use the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in/out on the spectral display. Zoom in on the channel that you're trying to decode and align the signal to the expected frequency value on the display using the +/- PPM settings. As slicerwizard stated, let your dongle's warm up before you make your final corrections.