RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software

Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software - For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats and trunking control channels. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 11:26 AM

Just to be clear, if I can tune into say a local FM radio station with SDR#, I should be able to tune into the same station with UniTrunker, right?

Because right now that's not happening. I have inputted my correction factor (in this case 138) and it doesn't seem to matter what I do with the Gain and Squelch values, I can't tune into the same station that comes in perfectly clear in SDR#.

(I still can't get the weather radio station, 162.4 to come in at all in SDR#, but I think perhaps the little stick antenna that came with the tuner might be to blame). The waterfall graph shows it a bit offset from the red line, but it lines up perfectly when tuning into the control channel after landing on my correction factor of 138.

PS, sorry if this isn't the right thread
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2014, 12:12 PM

delete the 800 entries again and see if they come back.
Old 09-02-2014, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envoys View Post
delete the 800 entries again and see if they come back.
Done. That seems to have stopped the 800 entries from showing up.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the voice receiver to pick up anything beyond strong local FM radio stations in SDR#, and how to even get those in UniTrunker.
Old 09-02-2014, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
Done. That seems to have stopped the 800 entries from showing up.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the voice receiver to pick up anything beyond strong local FM radio stations in SDR#, and how to even get those in UniTrunker.
Well, on the voice channel, do you see at the bottom that it is changing frequencies etc?

Did you enable "listen" on the main unitrunker settings screen?

Did you enable on the voice channel P25 decoding?

Post a screen shot of your voice receiver window.
Old 09-02-2014, 1:29 PM

Ah! Suddenly it's working and I'm hearing a little bit of chatter through DSD+.

Not entirely sure what I'm hearing yet but it's more than I had yesterday.

I now see the frequencies on the voice channel change when a call shows on the signal channel, but so far it's just silent. The background hiss stops while a call is taking place, then when the call ends the hiss comes back.

I did enable "listen".
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2014, 1:37 PM

This is odd. I decided to set "Digital Output" to "Speakers" in the voice channel, and now DSD is decoding a bunch of stuff and outputting it to the speakers.

I guess my other question now is if it is possible to lock onto specific talkgroups of if that's beyond the scope of what UniTrunker can do.
Old 09-02-2014, 1:50 PM

You set digital output to speakers and you can now hear the talking etc that's going on? strange....

As for locking onto a specific talkgroup, it is possible with the "hold" button.

I believe it used to be broken but was fixed in the latest release.
Old 09-02-2014, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envoys View Post
You set digital output to speakers and you can now hear the talking etc that's going on? strange....

As for locking onto a specific talkgroup, it is possible with the "hold" button.

I believe it used to be broken but was fixed in the latest release.
I thought it was strange, but after stopping and re-starting the voice receiver, it wouldn't work and I had to set it back to the virtual loopback cable for it to work.

As for the talkgroups, I take it I can only lock to a specific one once the scanner has locked onto it and a call is in progress? I can't "tune" to a specific one? All the talkgroup info is here

I was hoping that perhaps the online stream of our system was limited in what it was scanning and that I could pick up a little more with this setup.
Old 09-02-2014, 4:41 PM

I make heavy use of priority and lockout on groups. Love this program. Remember priority goes starting at 1 so anything at 1 will be highest priority.
Old 09-02-2014, 5:05 PM

If you want to use priority numbers greater than 50, be aware that all talkgroups and users default to priority 50, so you must first change those defaults to a higher number.
Old 09-02-2014, 5:39 PM

Another slightly OT question:

The frequencies now listed on the on the signal/control receiver match the ones displayed here under site 3 (Camosack)

Capital Region Emergency Services Telecom (CREST) Trunking System, Victoria, British Columbia - Scanner Frequencies

That's the control channel I'm connected. Do all the sites carry the same radio transmissions or would I be receiving different talkgroups based on which control channel I'm scanning on?

I ask because I can't really try it, the other sites are too far away for my little antenna to pick up. Camosack is about 400M away.
Old 09-02-2014, 7:11 PM
Seņor Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
I take it I can only lock to a specific one once the scanner has locked onto it and a call is in progress? I can't "tune" to a specific one?
You can "hold" onto the current call, press skip to get off the call and resume scanning calls (it may come right back). You can temporarily set the listening priority of a specific talkgroup to 1 and - assuming no other groups are also ranked at 1 and active, that's what you'll hear.

Quote:
I was hoping that perhaps the online stream of our system was limited in what it was scanning and that I could pick up a little more with this setup.
You'll have much more control. You can also add additional receivers to monitor more sites.

Quote:
Do all the sites carry the same radio transmissions?
No. If the radios registered with a site are not listening to a group, you won't hear that group at that site.
Old 09-02-2014, 8:20 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitrunker
Please read the very first post in this thread.

http://forums.radioreference.com/tru...ml#post2224665
Dear Unitrunker,

Yes, thank you. I read that the day you posted it - in fact - I replied to it as the third post. So, what changes would make this latest version not work when the previous one does. I think I'm missing a setting change? I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Sincerely,
Me

Last edited by Unitrunker; 09-03-2014 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: formatting
Old 09-02-2014, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitrunker View Post
You can "hold" onto the current call, press skip to get off the call and resume scanning calls (it may come right back). You can temporarily set the listening priority of a specific talkgroup to 1 and - assuming no other groups are also ranked at 1 and active, that's what you'll hear.

You'll have much more control. You can also add additional receivers to monitor more sites.

No. If the radios registered with a site are not listening to a group, you won't hear that group at that site.
Thanks. So I suppose I could load up a USB hub with a few receivers, assign a couple of them to the control channels for the various sites I want to monitor and associate a voice receiver with each control channel and I could be scanning several sites?

There are clearly some talkgroups that I'm not getting, so I guess I need to add a couple more receivers for additional sites.

My only concern is receiving the signal. My current little antennas are only picking up the one site 400M or so from me. Can you recommend some better antennas? I also live in an apartment so I have no roof-top access for mounting them, nor do I have line of sight to the sites North, North East or North West.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Seņor Member
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuser
I read that the day you posted it - in fact - I replied to it as the third post. So, what changes would make this latest version not work when the previous one does. I think I'm missing a setting change? I can't figure out what I'm missing.
What is your current setup? How is the signal receiver configured? How is the voice following receiver set up? What system are you monitoring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech
I could load up a USB hub with a few receivers, assign a couple of them to the control channels for the various sites I want to monitor and associate a voice receiver with each control channel and I could be scanning several sites?
You only need one voice receiver unless you can stand listening to multiple conversations at once.

Last edited by Unitrunker; 09-03-2014 at 3:16 AM.. Reason: too soon
Old 09-03-2014, 12:59 AM

Of course, that makes sense!

Thanks for a great piece of software, this is pretty fun to play with
Old 09-03-2014, 1:34 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
What is your current setup? How is the signal receiver configured? How is the voice following receiver set up? What system are you monitoring?
Old 09-03-2014, 3:01 AM
Seņor Member
Database Admin

That's two out of three. What system? Wait ... nevermind. I see the system ID from your earlier post. You're monitoring a P25 system and ... apparently ... using DSD or DSD+ for voice decoding.

Side note ... the signal receiver isn't muted. It that intentional?

Here's a quote from the opening post to this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitrunker
The two most notable features are a working Hold button and ability to support analog and digital calls from a single discriminator tapped voice following receiver.

New Features

Separate audio paths for analog vs. digital voice calls. Allows you to pipe digital voice to a third-party decoder like DSD or DSD+. Gating for analog vs. digital voice. Digital path muted during analog call. Analog path muted during digital call.
A little further down in post 16 I describe how this is set up.

Last edited by Unitrunker; 09-03-2014 at 3:25 AM..
Old 09-03-2014, 7:09 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
That's two out of three. What system? Wait ... nevermind. I see the system ID from your earlier post. You're monitoring a P25 system and ... apparently ... using DSD or DSD+ for voice decoding.

Side note ... the signal receiver isn't muted. It that intentional?

Here's a quote from the opening post to this thread:

A little further down in post 16 I describe how this is set up.

So this is a matter of assigning the digital a path to DSD+ & the analog path to where? I guess this is where I get lost, DSD+ only has one input right?

It was not muted, I don't know why. I wasn't hearing anything other than the radio traffic. I muted it & don't notice any changes, so I left it muted.
Old 09-03-2014, 8:34 AM
Seņor Member
Database Admin

Quote:
So this is a matter of assigning the digital a path to DSD+ & the analog path to where?
Set the analog path to your speakers.

If you ever monitor an analog trunking system or a system with mixed analog and voice, the analog calls can be heard. The analog output is also used when the receiver is parked.
Closed Thread