Help with the 2 dongle + UniTrunker direct mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

Just need some help here, I have 2 dongles set up & calibrated. The first one providing the signal is working swimmingly. How to I get the second dongle to link to the first to provide the voice?

I have VAC going & DSD+ (trying this on the NJICS P25 system). I'm NOT using SDR#, the latest Unitrunker is seeing both dongles just fine directly...

Thanks!

EDIT - Wow, it just started working by itself. Not sure what changed, as I didn't change anything! If anyone can just confirm the proper setting I should be using on the voice receiver, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Just a guess that the second RTL stick needed some warm-up time. Glad it's working for you.

LynchburgCSI

I'm using the same setup. Sometimes I just need to replug-in the receivers to get them to work correctly. An occasional restart of my computer seems to help to. Glad it's working for you.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I still would like to know what the optimal settings are for the voice dongle (and they were both warmed-up already).

I've seen people mention using baseband AGC, but I was not getting as clean of a decode on digital until I turned that off & used 'Auto Gain'. Also, the voice dongle feeds anywhere from 92-97% level into DSD+. I thought that was way too high for DSD+? Any way to knock that down?

joeuser

The Wretched
They need to warm up, after a long power outage - I sometimes wait ~15 minutes. As for settings, for me, default worked best but I did go through changing one setting at a time to see how it would effect my listening. That way I wouldn't have an issue reverting it back

LynchburgCSI

I still would like to know what the optimal settings are for the voice dongle (and they were both warmed-up already).

I've seen people mention using baseband AGC, but I was not getting as clean of a decode on digital until I turned that off & used 'Auto Gain'. Also, the voice dongle feeds anywhere from 92-97% level into DSD+. I thought that was way too high for DSD+? Any way to knock that down?
I can't advise on DSD+. I'm trying to get DSD+ working with my setup as well, without any luck so far.

I have AGC disabled. Auto gain I turned on which helped quite a bit. I hope that helps you somewhat.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, if you're using some type of virtual audio cable to feed the audio into DSD+, just knock down the volume level in your computer's Recording/Playback devices controls.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
After much more reading of rtl and unitrunker, I have a question? I'm monitoring a fleetnet system with analog and digital. I can hear/see that unitrunk is passing the analog to my pc speakers. To hear the digital part of the program...do I need to run dsd also or does unitrunk pass the digital by it's self? Just havn't been able to hear digital trans yet!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
To hear the digital part of the program...do I need to run DSD also or does unitrunker pass the digital by itself?
The program does not decode voice channels. You can pipe the discriminator audio from the voice receiver to a third-party decoding program like DSD or DSD+.

For an RTL based receiver, use the digital output to select a VAC or VB cable input. Run your third party program with the corresponding output of the VAC or VB cable select as the program's input.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Just for clarification, even with 2 dongles, I won't be able to get that setup to pass analog audio?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk 4

SCPD

QRT
Hi W2SJW;

For any voice role receiver that passes discriminator audio - the program can forward speech filtered audio to the speakers (or any audio device of your choosing) for listening to analog calls and also forward raw, unfiltered discriminator audio to yet another device.

That includes the RTL2832U based USB sticks.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I have the voice dongle set to output analog audio to my speakers, but I am hearing nothing. The dongle is stopping on valid traffic...

SCPD

QRT
Easy things to check ...

Is the receiver muted?

Are your computer speakers muted?

What's your squelch setting?

Do you hear anything when the voice receiver is parked?

W2SJW

Database Admin
Dongle & speakers not muted, as it passed digital just fine to DSD+. Squelch I think is 0, and I have not tried to park the voice dongle.

I will check the squelch & do a park test after work tomorrow.

nlurker

the voice dongle feeds anywhere from 92-97% level into DSD+. I thought that was way too high for DSD+? Any way to knock that down?

Yes, it is way too high, and I am unable to get a clear DSD+ voice decode because of it. Until Unitrunker has a way to lower that volume, I am still using SDR# which gives me an excellent DSD+ voice decode.

BM82557

Change the level using the audio mixer - first screenshot
Double click on your virtual cable - second screenshot
Click on the Levels tab and adjust the sliders - third screenshot

Last edited:

nlurker

Change the level using the audio mixer - first screenshot
Double click on your virtual cable - second screenshot
Click on the Levels tab and adjust the sliders - third screenshot

I have tried this, and the Levels sliders have no effect on the volume. Do they work for you?

nlurker

Yes, works for me. During active decodes the level is between 39 and 43%, when nothing is going on the level is 100%.

I wonder what the difference could be. I am using VB-Audio Cable version 1.0.3.2. I can move the level sliders up and down and even press mute, and nothing changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.