RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software

Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software - For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats and trunking control channels. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 3:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrygb View Post
user@ubuntu:~/osmo-tetra-sq5bpf/src$ ./receiver1 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "demod/python/simdemod2.py", line 18, in <module>
import osmosdr
ImportError: No module named osmosdr

Any idea to fix it?
look like you didn't install osmosdr (this is installed during the gnuradio installation). are you sure that build-gnuradio went without problems?
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2014, 3:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit_t_f View Post
After trying to install gnuradio in Kali 32 bit and Lubuntu, I gave Debian 7.7 a try. It took really a while, but it works with my rtlsdr and delivers clear audio.
yes, there is something about ubuntu that attempts to surprise the user in unexpected ways (not allways positive) i have no idea why it works for some, and doesn't for others, probably some combination of packages. also most sound stuttering problems are reported on ubuntu. don't know about kali - this is modified debian, so should work, but apparently people have problems with it too.

debian 7 seems to work every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit_t_f View Post
Tuning in the top block gui isn''t as easy as in the original osmotetra, but it works and that's the main point for me.
Thanks for this great work!
thanks!

i will make a simpler 1-channel receiver bacause many people are having a problem with understanding how it works, basically i will remove the option to specify the offset and hardcode it to 500kHz. a few aother people asked for this too. you can also use the original osmotetra receiver, but only for one channel, and remember to set the environment variables as in receiver1
Old 12-07-2014, 4:22 AM

the problems I experienced weren't from your code, they occured while doing the gnuradio script. At the first attempts, it seemed that it even had some connection problems.

With Debian, it worked without problems, even in vmware.
Old 12-07-2014, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq5bpf View Post
enable mutessi. also it may be that these networks with encryption turned on carry only encrypted traffic, and you will never hear anything on them

i'm happy to hear that you have perfect audio on unencrypted ones.

this is not tetrapol. tetrapol is to tetra like DMR to NXDN (not much in common). this is most probably encrypted tetra, some services additionally use end-to-end encryption
I re-read the pdf proveto to abilitre mutessi, only result I get, and the audio I disappears completely. Whether or understood from the document, translated into my language, with mutessi you make a conversion of audio and launching a new terminal with ./tetrad should be made the conversion from wav to ogg.
in the receive window, known unlike other frequencies that only appears the inscription ok and not the numbers of selective.
How do I send a screenshot?
Old 12-07-2014, 9:00 AM

Quote:
look like you didn't install osmosdr (this is installed during the gnuradio installation). are you sure that build-gnuradio went without problems?
I did it again, fresh ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32bit, Nooelec USB RTL, this time first install RTL drivers, used rtl_test, and install the drivers, Installing GNU Radio lot hours again, but now work. I can see the square signal, after unload DVB-T drivers, sudo rmmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu. But no data scrolling yet. Keep testing. While downloading Debian 7.7 to try with it too.
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannit View Post
I re-read the pdf proveto to abilitre mutessi, only result I get, and the audio I disappears completely. Whether or understood from the document, translated into my language, with mutessi you make a conversion of audio and launching a new terminal with ./tetrad should be made the conversion from wav to ogg.
in the receive window, known unlike other frequencies that only appears the inscription ok and not the numbers of selective.
How do I send a screenshot?
giannit, i'd like to help you, but i'm afraid i don't understand everything you wrote. the documentation might not be 100% correct when translated via google translate.

please do this:

- run the software, including tetrad
- enable mutessi
- enable record
- enable logging
- if you want enable mute
- wait at least a few hours (even better a few days)
- play the ogg files in /tetra/out , see if any contain speech
- look at telive.log

maybe your network is 100% encrypted and you will not hear anything or see much in the logs
Old 12-07-2014, 11:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've updated the documentation with solutions for a few common problems that people have
Old 12-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I did it again, fresh ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32bit, Nooelec USB RTL, this time first install RTL drivers, used rtl_test, and install the drivers, Installing GNU Radio lot hours again, but now work. I can see the square signal, after unload DVB-T drivers, sudo rmmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu. But no data scrolling yet. Keep testing. While downloading Debian 7.7 to try with it too.
I had this problem mate...Dont run rtl_test...just run the sudo rmmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu command doing it this way worked for me
Old 12-07-2014, 4:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i've added a new 1-channel receiver: telive_1ch_simple.grc

this shows full band spectrum, has click-to-tune capability and is tuned to 391MHz (so should be in the middle of the tetra emergency band, and have some signals), and lets hope that it will be more user-friendly.

btw. most of the signals around 390-395MHz will be encrypted (since this is used by emergency services), so don't expect to hear audio, but you will at least see the MNC, MCC, ColourCode values and uplink/downlink frequencies.

the list of frequencies where one may find tetra signals is in the documentation, which has also been updated (at the end in the FAQ section)
Old 12-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Useful grc. Thanx Jacek !
Old 12-08-2014, 4:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i've updated telive again:

added an ACELP codec test vector. this can be used to check if the codecs and sound system in general work correctly. also added some documentation fixes
Old 12-08-2014, 4:12 PM

It work now, and sound great!!

I'm using:

Windows8, Vmware, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32bit, Nooelec RTL.

Still reading and reading, but so happy finnally decoding tetra

Thanks for your support.
Old 12-08-2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
i've added a new 1-channel receiver: telive_1ch_simple.grc

this shows full band spectrum, has click-to-tune capability and is tuned to 391MHz (so should be in the middle of the tetra emergency band, and have some signals), and lets hope that it will be more user-friendly.

btw. most of the signals around 390-395MHz will be encrypted (since this is used by emergency services), so don't expect to hear audio, but you will at least see the MNC, MCC, ColourCode values and uplink/downlink frequencies.

the list of frequencies where one may find tetra signals is in the documentation, which has also been updated (at the end in the FAQ section)
Excellent!.. Seriously, awesome job!
Old 12-08-2014, 4:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
It work now, and sound great!!
I'm using:
Windows8, Vmware, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32bit, Nooelec RTL.
Still reading and reading, but so happy finnally decoding tetra
Thanks for your support.
congratulations!

most people which have problems are using ubuntu, were there some additional steps that you had to do, which were not in the documentation? your answer might help a lot of people
Old 12-08-2014, 4:46 PM

Question How to switch to a different number.

Is there any way if I am listening to something on say 21, and I see something on 30, can I jump to that to listen ?
Old 12-08-2014, 4:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahampaull View Post
Is there any way if I am listening to something on say 21, and I see something on 30, can I jump to that to listen ?
press s (skip)

btw the best way is to record the audio, and playback later. this way you will get all audio on all usage ids (even ones that were transmitting at the same time), and it also saves some time

Last edited by sq5bpf; 12-08-2014 at 5:22 PM..
Old 12-08-2014, 4:57 PM

Excellent!... This gets even better!...Cheers.
Old 12-08-2014, 4:58 PM

On mines, S is Stop Play... Am I using an old version ?
Old 12-08-2014, 5:24 PM

Default Encryption?

Is this encryption

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRo-...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-08-2014, 5:28 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy3418 View Post
Is this encryption
It sound like all the encryption I have hear.

Tags
tetra decode