Using a BCD996XT with Pro96com

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiphall

I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but when I try to use Pro96Com with my BCD996XT, I get nothing.
I program my scanner using FreeScan with the RR databases, and I want to try using Pro96Com to gather affiliate information on a new P25 system in my area.
I have gone through the setup menus in Pro96Com several times, trying different settings and such, but as I said, I get nothing.
One obvious setting issue to me, is that the "Decoding Scanner" pulldown list on the Decoding Configuration setup tab does NOT contain a BCD998XT.
Did I download the wrong version of Pro96com or what?
I am connected to the front jack on the BCD996XT with the Uniden cable, going to COM3 port via USB on my laptop.
I have turned on the CC Output via Front and such.
I saw a thread that suggested I needed to have my scanner locked on a control channel or something, but I'm not sure I know how to do that. (I'm a bit new to trunking scanners... ) I'm not even sure I actually have the control channel loaded, although I can't imagine that I'd be hearing any traffic at all from that system, which I am.
Anyway, I'd appreciate any expertise anyone might be able to offer. Thanks!
Skip

skiphall

Thanks, Voyager.
I presume then, that I need to go into FreeScan, and identify the system's control channel and insure it is written to a specific location in the scanner's programming (where I can actually go to find it! :). Then I can go back to the scanner, hold the scan, and dial up the control channel. At that point, clicking on the "start decode" button should cause the progress meter to react, and any radio traffic I hear from the scanner should show up on the system activity tab, and the IDs should be collected on the affiliations tab?
Is that about the jist of it? Or is there a magic trick involving crystals and chicken bones I need to know to get this to work. :)
And can I assume that the rest of my previous message makes it appear that I'm otherwise on the right track? No glaring errors or red flags that you can see? (I always assume that anything to do with my scanner not working is caused by me doing something wrong. As I have said, I've found the learning curve related to trunking systems to be somewhat daunting. :)
Thanks!

Voyager

Just hold on the System while scanning, and if there are no active TGs it should be monitoring the control channel.

cpetraglia

You also mentioned there is no 996XT in the dropdown. Use 396XT as it has mostly all the same protocals. Also make sure the baud rate matches your com port and the scanner. I was a little slow getting mine to work, but got through all the settings and no problem since. Remember if the scanner switches to recieve a TG, Pro96Com will stop decoding till the scanner switches back to a CC.

skiphall

Thanks, folks.
I somehow managed to accidentally get it working! I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but it's working okay now.
Now... if I can just figure out what to do with the information I am gathering, I'll really be onto something!
Any suggestions? :)

Thanks again!
Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.