RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software

Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software - For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats and trunking control channels. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2016, 2:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was able to get it working a little bit then the laptop overheated and shutdown

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2016, 6:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8usk View Post
Is there a tool to convert system information from the RR database into the proper config / channels, etc for SDRTrunk?
Not yet, but it's planned for the next release (0.3.0)
Old 08-16-2016, 11:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

This is fantastic. Awesome work.

I can't quite figure out how to make aliases work yet - but once you build the jmbe jar, listening to the local p25 system "just works".

RR database download & a web interface like Trunking Recorder and this would be all anyone needs!

JMBE decode is _solid_.
Old 08-17-2016, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8usk View Post
This is fantastic. Awesome work.

I can't quite figure out how to make aliases work yet - but once you build the jmbe jar, listening to the local p25 system "just works".

RR database download & a web interface like Trunking Recorder and this would be all anyone needs!

JMBE decode is _solid_.

Hear hear!
Also, it doesn't have that robo-bandpass-filtered sound that DSD unfortunately has. SDRTrunk's results are SO nice compared to the other setups I've tried... and even some high end, name brand scanners too...
Old 09-15-2016, 2:14 PM

Does this have any way to send audio in a network?
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2016, 12:59 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshg46 View Post
Does this have any way to send audio in a network?
I'm working on the streaming capability right now. Is there a protocol you have in mind?
Old 09-16-2016, 9:59 AM

Thanks to Denny for this program, and all of you who explained how to get the java working correctly with it. I've got it running now, and it sounds great on the statewide P25 system here. There is NO WAY that I could have got it running on my own, as I just didn't understand how to get JAVA_HOME and the rest of that part set up.

The initial download and running of SDRTRUNK was easy enough, and was decoding the control channel pretty much instantly, but getting the audio out was what kept tripping me up.

Again, many thanks to all who helped with your posts.
Old 09-16-2016, 3:26 PM

Nope, just as long as I can connect via Ip address.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:21 PM

Hi Denny, Im having some issues getting SDR to decode p25 for more than half an hour at a time.

Im running a rtlsdr and looking to decode up to 4 channels.

I have just installed on linux mint.

When it is operational, the decode is good, but will stop producing audio but still show the channel is operational.

Is there an option to blanket lock out any protected p25 systems?
Old 11-30-2016, 5:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSheirer View Post
sdtrunk doesn't yet decode Moto Type II systems.

There is a quick start guide at: https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk...GettingStarted
Is there any plan to support Smartnet/Type II systems?

I was so hopeful when I stumbled across this project today, and after installing it I was sad to see no Type II support.

This seems like such a great program that, if it was capable of decoding Type II, would solve my problems with my clumsy Trunk88/DSD+ setup.
Old 11-30-2016, 5:18 PM

I'm curious... is it's possible (with the right config file setup) to run sdrtrunk totally headless, without the CPU overhead needed for the waterfall/etc?
Old 12-01-2016, 6:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I only show heavy CPU usage when actually decoding a voice channel. On CC only I sat at 1-2 %. When voice kicks in it goes to 13-14 and higher if you set it to decode two voice channels at a time.
Old 12-03-2016, 3:03 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterodyne View Post
Is there any plan to support Smartnet/Type II systems?

I was so hopeful when I stumbled across this project today, and after installing it I was sad to see no Type II support.

This seems like such a great program that, if it was capable of decoding Type II, would solve my problems with my clumsy Trunk88/DSD+ setup.
It's planned but I don't have a timeline for it yet.

https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/issues/2
Old 12-03-2016, 3:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudgoo View Post
I'm curious... is it's possible (with the right config file setup) to run sdrtrunk totally headless, without the CPU overhead needed for the waterfall/etc?
No. Do you want it totally headless (ie no GUI) or simply the option to disable the spectral display/waterfall?

Denny
Old 12-06-2016, 4:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Just tried to download sdrtrunk_0.2.0.zip from https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/releases
however google chrome and windows defender is poping up :
Chrome : Failed - Virus detected

Windows Defender :
Trojan:win32/detplock trojan
Trojan:win32/Repjexi

is seems to be triggering on :
file:C:\Users\(myusername)\Desktop\sdrtrunk_0.2.0. zip->sdrtrunk/libs/libusb4java-1.2.0-windows-x86.jar->org/usb4java/windows-x86/libusb4java.dll

Last edited by j0atm0n; 12-06-2016 at 5:02 PM..
Old 12-06-2016, 7:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0atm0n View Post
Just tried to download sdrtrunk_0.2.0.zip from https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/releases
however google chrome and windows defender is poping up :
Chrome : Failed - Virus detected

Windows Defender :
Trojan:win32/detplock trojan
Trojan:win32/Repjexi

is seems to be triggering on :
file:C:\Users\(myusername)\Desktop\sdrtrunk_0.2.0. zip->sdrtrunk/libs/libusb4java-1.2.0-windows-x86.jar->org/usb4java/windows-x86/libusb4java.dll
If you download and submit the downloaded files to virustotal.com, it indicates no virus detected. That release has been posted on github for 10 months with over 2000 downloads. I wonder if something might going on with your browser gettting redirected?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:34 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Not sure , I've had no problem before , I had to format my computer and reinstall everything , and went to download sdrtrunk to reinstall it and been hitting this brick wall.

I've tried downloading with chrome and edge both say virus detected,
presumably by windows defender ( on win 10 - 64 pro)

I didn't want to seem like a alarmist but i figured maybe i might not be the only one having he same issue
since it seems windows defender is popping out the false positives while trying to download it.
-------------------added edit--------------------
I just did a full system scan with windows defender / reason core defender / avast / spybot and it found nothing.
Now it lets me download and run it just fine.
You might be right , could have been some sort of redirect bug thing.

Last edited by j0atm0n; 12-06-2016 at 10:46 PM..
Old 12-07-2016, 11:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question P25 on 0.3.0 alpha

I used the previous Mac instructions to compile the new 0.3.0 alpha and copied it over to a new directory on my Win machine. I have a 0.2.0 copy working with a P25 setup and decoding messages and audio just fine. But when I fire up the new 0.3.0 copy I can see the tuner and config and everything appears as it should I can see the waterfall and signals key up when there is a transmission but I am not getting any messages or events decoding for some reason not apparent to me. Any ideas?

PS - LOVE the program! Saved me when my local law went to P25 MARCS in Ohio.
Old 12-07-2016, 7:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiedj View Post
I used the previous Mac instructions to compile the new 0.3.0 alpha and copied it over to a new directory on my Win machine. I have a 0.2.0 copy working with a P25 setup and decoding messages and audio just fine. But when I fire up the new 0.3.0 copy I can see the tuner and config and everything appears as it should I can see the waterfall and signals key up when there is a transmission but I am not getting any messages or events decoding for some reason not apparent to me. Any ideas?

PS - LOVE the program! Saved me when my local law went to P25 MARCS in Ohio.
Is the channel panel showing up on the lower left side of the screen ... and turning orange to indicates that it's decoding the control channel?
Old 12-08-2016, 10:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSheirer View Post
Is the channel panel showing up on the lower left side of the screen ... and turning orange to indicates that it's decoding the control channel?
No, the Channel widow DOES show the active channels, but I'm not seeing any decoding or activity with the P25 decoder selected on either the control or traffic channels. Tuners working, I can see the RF, P25 just doesn't seem to be doing its thing.

In version 0.2.0 I can see all the activity on either control or traffic channels and I just listen to the two local traffic channels off my nearest tower because I only have 1 tuner and the control and two traff chans are 100mhz apart.

After further examination, if I change the decoder to AM and disable/enable the channel I can hear the rf of the control channel, and if I switch back to P25 and hit save it clicks, but I can still hear the AM noise.