DSD+ Fast Lane TCP setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Since DSD+ 1.090 now supports TCP, how do you set up TCP in Windows 7 to work with FMP? I have never had a need to fiddle with TCP before now.

RonnieUSA

Since DSD+ 1.090 now supports TCP, how do you set up TCP in Windows 7 to work with FMP? I have never had a need to fiddle with TCP before now.

You have to enter it into both bat files, and with trunking there is more, it's explained in the notes.txt file.
I used -i10000 in my dsd+ bat, and the same # for my fmp bat.

FMP.exe 10000 1 67

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
You have to enter it into both bat files, and with trunking there is more, it's explained in the notes.txt file.
I used -i10000 in my dsd+ bat, and the same # for my fmp bat.

FMP.exe 10000 1 67

There were already values (20001 and 20002) in the 1.090 bat files. How do I check in Windows to see if these values have been set up or are valid? Or do I need to?

UPDATE: Disregard; it's now working!

Last edited:

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Ok
I'm still not getting any CC data. I'm using the same sample .bat files for CC that came with the new version. I changed the frequency, but when i open FMP-CC.bat I do not see any scroll or cc activity. What am I doing wrong?

vince48

vince48

Premium Subscriber
how or do you need to set the TCP value in windows? is the sample 20001 for CC or dongle #1 right? How do you find out?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
how or do you need to set the TCP value in windows? is the sample 20001 for CC or dongle #1 right? How do you find out?

I don't know. My bat files came with default values already entered; 20001 for cc.bat and fmp-cc.bat; and 20002 for vc.bat and fmp-vc.bat. I just left them this way, and I didn't do anything in Windows to set or activate them. But it does work for me as it is.

Good question; I would like to know how these values are set or changed in Windows. How does the bat file know that 20001 refers to a TCP value and not something else?

thegriff

Premium Subscriber
Good question; I would like to know how these values are set or changed in Windows. How does the bat file know that 20001 refers to a TCP value and not something else?

The values are controlled by the bat files alone, there's nothing in windows controlling the port assignment other than the bat files themselves. I do wonder however if a stringent firewall setup may be getting in the way for vince48.

While not common it is possible for Windows firewall to block listening on a port. As a test one could try disabling the firewall prior to launching the bat files to see if that clears the issue. There is also the concept of public vs. private networks in Windows so you might want to check that you are setup on a private network within the network settings.

KA2ZEY

When I start up VC (DSDPlus), I get this error:

Connecting to TCP port 20002...
TCP connect error = 10061
(no connection could be made because the target refused it)

D

DaveNF2G

I get a similar message - target actively refused the connection.

slicerwizard

When I start up VC (DSDPlus), I get this error:

Connecting to TCP port 20002...
TCP connect error = 10061
(no connection could be made because the target refused it)
Is FMP running and listening on port 20002? It should tell you in the FMP console window.

Is FMP unblocked in the Windows firewall? Start / Control Panel / Windows Firewall (on XP at least); FMP has to be in the exceptions list and it has to have a checkmark ("allowed") next to its name.

KA2ZEY

Is FMP running and listening on port 20002? It should tell you in the FMP console window.

Is FMP unblocked in the Windows firewall? Start / Control Panel / Windows Firewall (on XP at least); FMP has to be in the exceptions list and it has to have a checkmark ("allowed") next to its name.

FMP and DSD+ (VC) don't even show up in the list for Firewall allowances. I've also turned off firewall.

I'm starting these apps from 'Windows Batch File' types (VC and FMP). I'm doing this because when I try to run the CMD execution file labeled 'FMP', it shuts down saying 'parameters were not set'

BTW, when I start the 'Windows Batch File' version of FMP, it does say port 20002.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
They show up in my list

this is my control channel sequence
1. DSDPLUS.EXE
2. CC.bat
3. FMP-CC.bat

When the control channel display is visible (after opening FMP-CC.bat) i adjust the correction by using the "arrow keys". You will know when you have the correct value because you will see the DSDPLUS window show CC activity.
I hope this help others getting started. I'm don;t know why this same sequence shouldn't work for FMP-VC.
Now for the strange part, after doing the above for CC, I have not opened FMP-VC yet. But I'm getting voice traffic!

vince48

D

DaveNF2G

Why would the firewall be involved in moving data from one USB port to another?

SCPD

QRT
Dave - the two programs are using TCP. The TCP layer sits on top of the Windows IP stack. Windows Firewall sites between the IP stack and the physical interfaces.

If the communication is between two programs on the same PC host, they can use the "loopback" address 127.0.0.1 to talk to each other. At one time, Windows Firewall did not block traffic on this address. I don't know if that is still true.

D

DaveNF2G

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I will explore my firewall settings before I try out the program again.

In the meantime, this seems like another good argument for using UDP instead of TCP for intracomputer communication between programs.

SCPD

QRT
In the meantime, this seems like another good argument for using UDP instead of TCP for intracomputer communication between programs.
Not really. UDP also sits on top of the Windows IP stack so the same firewall concerns apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.