DMR DCC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airdorn

Hey.

This is probably pretty basic but I'm returning to monitoring after being away for some years. DMR is all new to me and it's all over the place where I live!

What exactly *IS* DCC? I'm using the DSD+ program to decode.

I am using DCC as if it is some kind of system identifier, grouping frequencies together based on their DCC number. Is that wrong?

If that's wrong, is there an easy way based on this DCC number to make heads-or-tails of frequencies and how they organize into systems?

My scanner is a Uniden BCD996T and it doesn't track DMR of course. But I have had some success waiting for a key-up and then quickly moving to other frequencies to listen for the activity.

Any help on the DCC question is appreciated!

RayAir

Hey.

This is probably pretty basic but I'm returning to monitoring after being away for some years. DMR is all new to me and it's all over the place where I live!

What exactly *IS* DCC? I'm using the DSD+ program to decode.

I am using DCC as if it is some kind of system identifier, grouping frequencies together based on their DCC number. Is that wrong?

If that's wrong, is there an easy way based on this DCC number to make heads-or-tails of frequencies and how they organize into systems?

My scanner is a Uniden BCD996T and it doesn't track DMR of course. But I have had some success waiting for a key-up and then quickly moving to other frequencies to listen for the activity.

Any help on the DCC question is appreciated!

It's the color code. There are 16, 0-15.

Ex) DCC=2 would mean the channel is using color code 2.

Think of it as being like CTCSS or DCS for analog.
DMR uses color codes
NXDN calls it RAN
P25 calls it NAC

Airdorn

Oh, so it's like LTR area codes (0 and 1)? IE, so systems can overlap each other without causing chaos?

A unique identifier? Radios won't respond unless the activity has their assigned DCC code?

RayAir

Oh, so it's like LTR area codes (0 and 1)? IE, so systems can overlap each other without causing chaos?

A unique identifier? Radios won't respond unless the activity has their assigned DCC code?

Yep.
Not really an identifier though. Just a programming parameter.

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
I would say that "most" of the time, a system will use the same color code for all of their frequencies, but not always! I have one system here that uses Color Code 5 for the 1'st freq, 6 for the 2'nd, and 7 for the 3'rd. From what I understand, it's all up to the person setting up the system as to what codes they will use.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I would say that "most" of the time, a system will use the same color code for all of their frequencies, but not always! I have one system here that uses Color Code 5 for the 1'st freq, 6 for the 2'nd, and 7 for the 3'rd. From what I understand, it's all up to the person setting up the system as to what codes they will use.

Yeah, in my area there are several Cap+/ Con+ systems that use different CC's for different frequencies, it seems pretty random. Also keep in mind, if you live near big cities you may see multiple un-related DMR systems operating on the same frequency spread apart geographically.

Airdorn

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Yes, I've since been using DCC reported by DSD+ as a kind of basic grouping mechanism in a first step to organize frequencies into systems, but I now know that systems sometimes do have different DCC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.