Motorola Type II Smartnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubular031

Can someone point me to something that can help me monitor a Motorola Type II Smartnet system?

The system I want to monitor is this one
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=15

I can not seem to figure out how to monitor it. I can hear the control channel fine with SDR# and uniturnker pops a site window when I point to the control channel but I can not hear anything. Its an analog system so shouldnt I hear it on unitrunker? I do have 2 rtl-sdr v3 dongles hooked up and unitrunker is set to use both of them, one as signal and one as voice.

I tried SDRTrunk and that did not seem to do anything. I am able to use SDRtrunk to hear and decode some p25 nontrunked frequencies around here and also a p25-1 system that I also decode with OP25.

I have OP25 running on ubuntu monitoring a p25-2 and also a p25-1 system. That was quite a battle to get working. For the noobs reading this from a google search, keep at it and take lots of breaks and you will get it working eventually....

In a perfect world op25 would monitor it but I dont think that is possible since this is not p25..

Thank you for your help.

slicerwizard

TRUNK88, Unitrunker, etc. should have no problem monitoring that system with a couple of dongles. You probably have to correctly set the bandplan though.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Tips

You sound skilled but perhaps not experienced with Unitrunker. If you have the control channel displayed, but
not other channels showing up, you will need to click the icon for the Wizard and try hitting the rebanded option for 800mhz. After you do that, if the system has activity, you should start to see all of the channels displayed in the monitor window.

If you still don't get voice then get back to us.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Little bit off topic but here in a bit my city is going encrypted so my XTS3000 will be useless, and their current system is a Motorola Type II Smartnet, so I could program it for you and give you it if this Unitrunker doesn't work out for you.

I'm trying to get a friend to flash it for P25 so I can monitor Balch Springs but the radio is having some issues with flashing. In the end if it ends up not being able to get flashed I can program it to the system to your specifications if you'd like. If it does work then you can pickup a 3000 on eBay for about 80ish bucks and I can program it and show you how to.

Hope you get it working!

tubular031

You sound skilled but perhaps not experienced with Unitrunker. If you have the control channel displayed, but
not other channels showing up, you will need to click the icon for the Wizard and try hitting the rebanded option for 800mhz. After you do that, if the system has activity, you should start to see all of the channels displayed in the monitor window.

If you still don't get voice then get back to us.

you are correct, I am not experienced with unitruner at all. When I was reading about trunking I knew I needed p25 1 and 2 and did not like having to use unitrunker, virtual cable, and dsd+. So I moved onto learning about other packages.

The re branding wizard seems to have brought it to life! I can now hear the audio on the calls. I am noticing that at the end of the transmission I hear a bunch of static for 1-2 seconds then it goes quiet. Is there a setting I can tweak to mute the stattic? Sometimes I also get a brief blast of static just before they start talking.

tubular031

Little bit off topic but here in a bit my city is going encrypted so my XTS3000 will be useless, and their current system is a Motorola Type II Smartnet, so I could program it for you and give you it if this Unitrunker doesn't work out for you.

I'm trying to get a friend to flash it for P25 so I can monitor Balch Springs but the radio is having some issues with flashing. In the end if it ends up not being able to get flashed I can program it to the system to your specifications if you'd like. If it does work then you can pickup a 3000 on eBay for about 80ish bucks and I can program it and show you how to.

Hope you get it working!

I was going to send you a PM or email about this but I guess my new account is still restricted. Can you PM me or email me from the RR contact page?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Be advised that this appears to be a simulcast system which are very hard to monitor

I monitor a system just like that , that has mixed analog and p25. Its simulcast and works fine in unitrunker. I believe they might be difficult if you're in between 2 sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.