DSD Plus Audio Error Message on Install ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4AIM

I am attempting to install "DSDPlus1p101" and keep receiving the following error message.

"Audio Input Device Open Failed" .... and it stops the installation there.

Any idea on what is going on?

Windows 10

RTL-SDR Blog brand R820T2 RTL2832U dongle

morfis

DSDPlus does not need to be 'installed' as such, just placed into a convenient directory.

Do you mean you get an error when you run your start up batch script?
The command window that opens should show some text:
The path to the batch file and the variable settings in the batch file
Program version and some lines about the settings and associated config files loaded
A list of audio input devices available
A list of audio output devices available

After that it should show the audio input device that was selected and I guess this is where you get the error shown.

what value have you given to variable i ("-i" in the batch file you are using)?

The error suggests the device number you have entered is not valid (doesn't exist or is already in use)

K4AIM

The following text is the pop-up screen I receive when running DSD Plus for the first time .....

"
DSD+ 1.101pt
DSDPlus -h for help summary

Appending synthesized audio to file 'DSDPlus.wav'
0 frequency records loaded
0 radiorecords loaded
0 group records loaded
0 network records loaded

audio output device #1 = 'Speakers (Realtek High Deiniti'
audio output device #2 = 'ASUS VE278-4 (NVIDIA High Defin'
audio output device #3 = 'Realtek Digital Output (Realtek'
audio output device #4 = 'Realtek Digital Output(Optical)'

audio input device open failed '

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I am a complete Greenhorn to these programs and have no idea ......

Thanks

thedrizzle

Hi K4,

I'm still pretty green myself on all this but I'm a little bit ahead and will help if I can. There's a few ways to get to the final step of having a voice stream to use DSD+ on, but it isn't clear which way you are coming from.

Working backwards from that, can infer you want to decode voice traffic with DSD+, requires that you pipe a signal over to DSD. In practice afaik this is done exclusively via two methods in Windows. Virtual Audio Cable which is free to make 1 virtual cable, and VB Cable which is also free, and cheaper maybe? to add additional cables (up to 3 max. VAC can make many more than that but costs more).

But once you settle on one of those two, you'll need something to send that signal over to it. There's a few ways here. I went with Unitrunker very similar to this guide: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-following-trunked-radio-unitrunker/ There is also another option to pipe the voice signal over via SDR# instead which isn't tooo painful, but itsn't very tenable with a trunking system, if that is your target. Also some other options, I've head of SDRTrunk or something like that which is used. So that is kind of the backward path, and what can give you a DSD+ signal to work with from my very novice understanding.

If you give a little more information on what type of system you want to rx can help you further, but there are other good tutorials on that rtl-sdr site and also an e-book all the way on right at the top navi bar on their site. Things are still being developed, its a very much active community, and you'll find the latest news (and friendly people) on these forums best I can tell.

Good luck.
-Dan

P.S. I found the forums dedicated to your specific state (if in the US) very helpful to read back on perhaps others that have walked the path you are trying to follow.

thedrizzle

also really once you get to the point where you want to fire up dsd+ you'll already have digital voice going into the VAC you created. When at that point, you'll want to open up a DOS window and "cd" in to the directory/folder with dsd+ in it. Then run the program, it will probably not choose the correct input and output devices, and will error out similar to your orig post, or fail in another way. In the output of that run attempt it will list the devices and the device number.

Using those tables you will want to craft arguments to dsd so the command will look like "dsdplus -i 3 -o 5 -other -arguments" per the dsdplus.txt file included. You'll want the input number to be the Virtual cable listed in the first run, and the output should be whatever number your speakers pulled in the output table.

Good luck.

slicerwizard

I am attempting to install "DSDPlus1p101" and keep receiving the following error message.

"Audio Input Device Open Failed" .... and it stops the installation there.

Any idea on what is going on?

Windows 10

RTL-SDR Blog brand R820T2 RTL2832U dongle
You need to choose which software is going to control your dongle. Either FMP or SDR# probably.

Then you need to install VB Cable to pass the dongle audio to DSD+.

kcow3

Hi, Eventually found that the problem was caused by a privacy setting that got enabled with a Windows 10 update.

Enabled the following: Settings-->Privacy-->Microphone-->Allow apps to access your microphone.

slicerwizard

Hi, Eventually found that the problem was caused by a privacy setting that got enabled with a Windows 10 update.

Enabled the following: Settings-->Privacy-->Microphone-->Allow apps to access your microphone.
Does DSD+ need access to your microphone? Are you using a tapped scanner?

kcow3

No, not at all, since the latest windows 10 update, my windows seems to block programs to route audio (input device emulation) if I don't allow that privacy setting.

slicerwizard

Guess MS figures any WaveIn device could be carrying sensitive traffic, so blocks them all.

Meanwhile, I have app access to the microphone blocked, yet DSD+ can hear it just fine. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.