Is NXDN a subset of DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
In their recent description of the TRX series Whistler scanners they list the various versions of DMR (like MOTOTURBO, etc) and they have NXDN in the middle of this group of DMR versions. I thought NXDN was a different format completely.

If not, then why does it require a separate firmware upgrade?

Curious minds need to know!

Last edited:

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber

Whistler, in their product description:

" The Whistler TRX-2 is multi-system adaptive digital trunking scanners with Motorola P25 Phase I, X2-TDMA, Phase II and DMR making it capable of monitoring the following unencrypted channels/systems: Conventional DMR (Entered as a DMR trunked system, NXDN™, Hytera XPT, MotoTRBO™ Capacity Plus, MotoTRBO™ Connect Plus, and MotoTRBO™ Linked Cap Plus systems. "

Got it stuck in the middle of the various forms of DMR. That's why I was curious.

Thanks, Troy.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Marketing speak.
Often the people writing the product descriptions have little understanding of how they work. Their job is just to sell product any way they can. Technical details are for the dweebs. Some companies/marketing folks are good about running any statements past some subject matter experts to check for accuracy. I'm guessing that person was out sick the day they wrote that.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
mmckenna is right. A substantial number scanner owners just want something to listen to the local police and may not even turn the scanner on until they hear sirens in their neighborhood. Some are also gadget freaks. None of these care about the specifics of DMR or NXDN or anything else nor do have any idea what UHF or VHF are. That's the target audience for the "marketing speak."

The old-timers do remember the new TV stations that came into existence back in the late 50s and they called them "UHF," but that's about it.

These marketing people are some of the same people who tell you your FRS radio will transmit 30 miles or that the cap on your medicine bottle is "child-proof."

troymail

Silent Key
Whistler, in their product description:

" The Whistler TRX-2 is multi-system adaptive digital trunking scanners with Motorola P25 Phase I, X2-TDMA, Phase II and DMR making it capable of monitoring the following unencrypted channels/systems: Conventional DMR (Entered as a DMR trunked system, NXDN™, Hytera XPT, MotoTRBO™ Capacity Plus, MotoTRBO™ Connect Plus, and MotoTRBO™ Linked Cap Plus systems. "

Got it stuck in the middle of the various forms of DMR. That's why I was curious.

Thanks, Troy.

Just looks like some editing was done of the description and the names of specific trademarked, etc. DMR system types were "tacked on" to the end of the sentence at a later time - and/or just a lack of understanding by whoever wrote the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.