DSDplus and audio input failure - please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkk

So, I'm trying to decode trunked radio, but I'm getting the error "audio input device open failed" when starting DSDplus in SDR#, so I could really use some help.

First of all, let me tell you about my setup.
I'm running Windows 10.
My speakers are plugged into the back of my pc, in the onboard soundcard.
I've installed the latest version of VB-Audio Virtual Cable.
My radio dongle is the NooElec NESDR XTR+
I'm running the latest version of SDR# (rev 1666).
I'm using the latest version of DSDPlus as well (1.101) with the DLL files installed, and I have set it up with SDR#.

I've followed several guides online, all saying the same, so it should work.

In my windows sound properties, I've changed VB-Audio to be the standard device under playback. In Recording I've done the same, but in the properties for the VB-Audio, I've checked "Listen to this device" and I've chosen my speakers (High Definition Audio) under "playback through this device" because if I select VB-Audio, I get no sound. I suspect that could be the problem, but I don't know.

Now, I've tried it on my laptop running windows 7 and it works fine.

Any suggestions on how to make it work?

DRL-XM43

So, I'm trying to decode trunked radio, but I'm getting the error "audio input device open failed" when starting DSDplus in SDR#, so I could really use some help.

First of all, let me tell you about my setup.
I'm running Windows 10.
My speakers are plugged into the back of my pc, in the onboard soundcard.
I've installed the latest version of VB-Audio Virtual Cable.
My radio dongle is the NooElec NESDR XTR+
I'm running the latest version of SDR# (rev 1666).
I'm using the latest version of DSDPlus as well (1.101) with the DLL files installed, and I have set it up with SDR#.

I've followed several guides online, all saying the same, so it should work.

In my windows sound properties, I've changed VB-Audio to be the standard device under playback. In Recording I've done the same, but in the properties for the VB-Audio, I've checked "Listen to this device" and I've chosen my speakers (High Definition Audio) under "playback through this device" because if I select VB-Audio, I get no sound. I suspect that could be the problem, but I don't know.

Now, I've tried it on my laptop running windows 7 and it works fine.

Any suggestions on how to make it work?

Normally vbcable would only be the default in the recording section, your speakers would be deafualt in playback.

DSD+ would pick those for input and output.

slicerwizard

Seems to me that if you set up VB Cable as the default recording and playback devices and then just run DSD+ with no command line parameters, DSD+ will be listening to itself, as any audio it creates will be fed back to it, no?

Personally, I think that guides that tell you to make the virtual cable the default (for input and/or output) are stupid - it just causes problems.

IMO, the default input should be your microphone and the default output should be your speakers. To use VB Cable, you tell SDR# to use it for audio output and you tell DSD+ to use it for audio input. Really not complicated.

sparkk

Slicerwizard, I can't use the microphone, it's grayed out because I've not attached one. So I can't make the microphone the default input.

Status
Not open for further replies.