Testing DSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemfm

I live in a small town where there are infrequent P25 transmissions from the local fire service. After some trial and error DSD is now running well under FreeBSD, which I have tested several times with a wav file recording of a P25 tranmission download from the Net. To test my discriminator tap with DSD, I transmit the P25 recording with a small FM transmitter which gives me a signal on my discrimator tap, however, DSD does not detect/decode the signal.

I may have to buy a used P25 radio off eBay for testing, obviously expecting that I could transmit a wav file of perhaps average quality with a cheap FM transmitter was being a little too optimistic. All suggestions are welcome.

woodpecker

I live in a small town where there are infrequent P25 transmissions from the local fire service. After some trial and error DSD is now running well under FreeBSD, which I have tested several times with a wav file recording of a P25 tranmission download from the Net. To test my discriminator tap with DSD, I transmit the P25 recording with a small FM transmitter which gives me a signal on my discrimator tap, however, DSD does not detect/decode the signal.

I may have to buy a used P25 radio off eBay for testing, obviously expecting that I could transmit a wav file of perhaps average quality with a cheap FM transmitter was being a little too optimistic. All suggestions are welcome.

Playing it back into an FM transmitter is not the same as a P25 radio with C4FM modulation, you need to buy a P25 radio to test it properly.

clemfm

So I’m now in the market for a cheap P25 radio, preferably a handheld unit.

What makes/models of radio would be suitable for my needs i.e. VHF P25 and simply being able to keyup and see if my scanner and DSD setup is reliable and optimally setup?

Whilst not essential, I would prefer to be able to update the radios firmware and program frequencies and features etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.