Bad Fire at 1704 R St. SE DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastieboy101

Multiple Fire Units on scene of abandoned house fire. OPS are on DCFD FG 3

Currently an exterior operation.
Evacuation tones sounded at around 1015

1022 - Firefighter with broken leg at front door.
1025 - Heavy smoke/fire still being reported
1033 - Requesting hooks to open up the structure
1040 - Command going through checking units on scene. Sounds like the fire is out for now. Units keep repeating that the firewalls held up well.
1142 - Just heard a Dispatch on MPD Citywide for some units to respond to the scene (1704 R St. SE DC) for a suspicious death.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/241725/158/2-Die-In-R-Street-SE-Fire-In-DC

Last edited:

DickH

Multiple Fire Units on scene of abandoned house fire. OPS are on DCFD FG 3

Currently an exterior operation.
Evacuation tones sounded at around 1015

1022 - Firefighter with broken leg at front door.
1025 - Heavy smoke/fire still being reported
1033 - Requesting hooks to open up the structure
1040 - Command going through checking units on scene. Sounds like the fire is out for now. Units keep repeating that the firewalls held up well.
1142 - Just heard a Dispatch on MPD Citywide for some units to respond to the scene (1704 R St. SE DC) for a suspicious death.

2 Die In DC Vacant Building Fire | wusa9.com

It's not a good idea to publish all those details.What if a firefighter's wife is listening and it could be her husband that was injured? She might be needlessly upset.

There is also a federal law against repeating what you hear on the radio, although it is seldom enforced.

gesucks

It's not a good idea to publish all those details.What if a firefighter's wife is listening and it could be her husband that was injured? She might be needlessly upset.

There is also a federal law against repeating what you hear on the radio, although it is seldom enforced.

1 he posted the info 4 hours after the fire. It was already cover by multiple news outlets

2 name the law and section of CFR! No such law applies to what he posted

No harm no foul no law broke

DickH

1 he posted the info 4 hours after the fire. It was already cover by multiple news outlets

2 name the law and section of CFR! No such law applies to what he posted

No harm no foul no law broke

It is the Communications Act of 1934. It says, in part, and I don't recall the exact wording, no one shall repeat to a third party (other than the sender and receiver) what is heard ... No time line is stated.
As I said, it is seldom enforced. My objection to publishing those things is most police hate to see it and it promotes encryption which hurts all of us who like to monitor.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Dick H,

If that were the case then this entire website would be illeagal as well as any posts or any submissions you have ever made to support the website, as all the data you retrieve from your scanner and post onto this website would be illegal as you would be repeating what your scanner says.

Nate

gesucks

It is the Communications Act of 1934. It says, in part, and I don't recall the exact wording, no one shall repeat to a third party (other than the sender and receiver) what is heard ... No time line is stated.
As I said, it is seldom enforced. My objection to publishing those things is most police hate to see it and it promotes encryption which hurts all of us who like to monitor.

So I assume you are refuring to Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter VI, Paragraph 605, Section (a)

If you bother to read all of it, you will see that subsection (6) states:

"This section shall not apply to the receiving, divulging, publishing, or utilizing the contents of any radio communication which is transmitted by any station for the use of the general public, which relates to ships, aircraft, vehicles, or persons in distress, or which is transmitted by an amateur radio station operator or by a citizens band"

Further more, there is numerous case law that further backs that up.

Confuzzled

^ I don't see how any of that applies to public safety radio. Police, fire and medical dispatches are clearly not *intended* for the general public. "Persons in distress" I'm sure refers to Mayday type calls over frequencies intended for public use.

DickH

Dick H,

If that were the case then this entire website would be illeagal as well as any posts or any submissions you have ever made to support the website, as all the data you retrieve from your scanner and post onto this website would be illegal as you would be repeating what your scanner says.

Nate

The Act covers the content of messages sent from one person to another, not data or info. as posted on RR.

Status
Not open for further replies.