Seattle police Going P 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBMTS

The PSERN website still references 2020. However I was speaking to the comm folks of one of the local cities and they mentioned that it might be later by a year or two due to project delays. Don't know if that meant for them or for the entire system. Time will tell.

superfreak

Any word on Seattle police going P 25 digital with encryption

They have the capability today to talk P25 encrypted.

PSERN will replace the radio system countywide with P25 phase 2 sometime in the future.

Today Seattle primarily uses analog, but they have a P25 phase 1 Simulcast cell that is up and running.

Stavro35

They have the capability today to talk P25 encrypted.

PSERN will replace the radio system countywide with P25 phase 2 sometime in the future.

Today Seattle primarily uses analog, but they have a P25 phase 1 Simulcast cell that is up and running.

When you say Up and running” . Would you please elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
I posted this elsewhere a few years ago, but it still feels true to me:

Coworker from 0600 today: "You know, I'd never park my car under that bridge."

Me: "Huh? Why?"

Him: "Well, those guys park under the bridge to protect their cars from the sun and rain and all the industrial fallout in the air. It's pretty stupid if you think about it. Seattle's due for a 9 point earthquake...Your car would be crushed and you would be stuck here."

Me: "Duuuuuuuddddde...In a magnitude 9 earthquake, you wouldn't have to worry about your car, because 30 seconds later, you'd find yourself in a long line at the Pearly Gates, trying to think of excuses."

The analog system did well during the last quake (aside from the idiots keying up to ask if we'd just had an earthquake, causing it to crash and thereby engendering internet hysteria that still surfaces today); I don't foresee PSERN failing, especially after being built to higher standards.

But I still have a satphone, because I'm not an idiot.

WApolicescanboy

Premium Subscriber
When it comes to the new system being built the only information I have heard it that they want a 700mhz digital trunking system.

there was no mention of going all encrypted. I am sure the usual channels will be; SWAT, investigations etc etc.

Only time will tell what the system will do.

sucks to hear about the delays but kind of figured it would happen

im800mhz

When it comes to the new system being built the only information I have heard it that they want a 700mhz digital trunking system.

there was no mention of going all encrypted. I am sure the usual channels will be; SWAT, investigations etc etc.

All in plain view. www.psern.org You also might want try using a search engine. It's remarkable what you can find

superfreak

You heard wrong about 700MHz

3King

Premium Subscriber
Any word on Seattle police going P 25 digital with encryption

I happen to have contacts about the p25 system. And my sources have told me and others that Seattle PD has No intention of encrypting Main dispatch channels but will have the typical swat and Tac encryption. They will do the same as Tacoma PD and Pierce county sheriff. These agencies have already put out announcements that they do not intend to encrypt main dispatch channels.

kinglou0

(Snip.....)
They will do the same as Tacoma PD and Pierce county sheriff. These agencies have already put out announcements that they do not intend to encrypt main dispatch channels.

Given where SS911 and Pierce County are now moving towards, that's not encouraging.

I've logged 12 encrypted law enforcement talkgroups in use on both the SS911 & SCWCS systems. Anyone who has listened to the systems recently will attest that more & more traffic is being shifted to these encrypted talkgroups. Some of it is to free up the main dispatch channels but some of it boils down to why not? While policies might make dispatch channels remain in the clear, nothing else has to be.

An officer here in my town admitted that they immediately try to shift anything beyond basic traffic stops to one of the Pierce County TAC channels just because so many people out here have the scanner apps on their phone. He's not the only one I've heard that from.

Pierce County, the City of Tacoma, and SS911 are also beginning to explore the possibility of using ESChat.

We might not be there at this moment but I could see in the next few years, unencrypted dispatch talkgroups becoming pointless.

3King

Premium Subscriber
Given where SS911 and Pierce County are now moving towards, that's not encouraging.

I've logged 12 encrypted law enforcement talkgroups in use on both the SS911 & SCWCS systems. Anyone who has listened to the systems recently will attest that more & more traffic is being shifted to these encrypted talkgroups. Some of it is to free up the main dispatch channels but some of it boils down to why not? While policies might make dispatch channels remain in the clear, nothing else has to be.

An officer here in my town admitted that they immediately try to shift anything beyond basic traffic stops to one of the Pierce County TAC channels just because so many people out here have the scanner apps on their phone. He's not the only one I've heard that from.

Pierce County, the City of Tacoma, and SS911 are also beginning to explore the possibility of using ESChat.

We might not be there at this moment but I could see in the next few years, unencrypted dispatch talkgroups becoming pointless.

Yes I realize they have TGs that are encrypted,for that specific reason if they have stuff that goes beyond a certain point. Which is Perfectly fine. however. Main dispatch and channels like car to car for your normal traffic will remain open.

RBMTS

There is still two years to go for PSERN to become fully operational. Influencers and decision makers will change over that time. Who knows what the encryption climate will be when 2020 rolls around. So don't go counting your chickens just yet.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
There is still two years to go for PSERN to become fully operational. Influencers and decision makers will change over that time. Who knows what the encryption climate will be when 2020 rolls around. So don't go counting your chickens just yet.

The Earth is going to end before 2020 anyway. The internet said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.