WSPDOT P25 and US DOJ IWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinsu

Has anybody noticed the WSPDOT system and US DOJ IWN have the same system ID and the WSP talkgroups are the same on both systems?

The only difference appears to be that the WSP system is using 700 mhz and USDOJ is using VHF Federal freqs.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
They are the same system. The DOJ system sites are RFSS 1 and the WSPDOT sites are RFSS 2. For some reason the DB admin has them as 2 different systems in the DB but they are the same system ID and WACN.

im800mhz

DOT is not part of the IWN system. They have their own aging Multinet that's about to be replaced by a mostly 700 MHz P25 system. I really wish the admins here would update the documentation to reflect that. It's been misquoted some many times, the community is starting to believe it.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
DOT is not part of the IWN system. They have their own aging Multinet that's about to be replaced by a mostly 700 MHz P25 system. I really wish the admins here would update the documentation to reflect that. It's been misquoted some many times, the community is starting to believe it.

I know I've called attention to it in the past, but one of the data admins here claims to have seen a document referring to a "WSPDOT system" and refuses to change the entry.

Cinsu- you'll also find the same TGIDs for WSP on the Pierce County CCN. They port across systems (least technical way I could think of to put that).

jparks29

John McClane
They are the same system. The DOJ system sites are RFSS 1 and the WSPDOT sites are RFSS 2. For some reason the DB admin has them as 2 different systems in the DB but they are the same system ID and WACN.

They share a system ID, making it easier to integrate 2 bands and multiple configurations.

A 700 system can issue a channel grant on VHF, or vice versa, although rare,but not if it's a different system (System ID)

Might wanna find out who controls/manages infrastructure before you label it 'the same system'.

im800mhz

If we want to get really technical, a 700 site cannot issue a channel grant on a vhf site. A 700 site can broadcast an adjacent site that is vhf. The channel grant would be issued from the zone controller via the vhf control channel.

Weren't you in the trunking class that I gave to Wil and INW?

jparks29

John McClane
If we want to get really technical, a 700 site cannot issue a channel grant on a vhf site. A 700 site can broadcast an adjacent site that is vhf. The channel grant would be issued from the zone controller via the vhf control channel.

Weren't you in the trunking class that I gave to Wil and INW?

Nope.

I have seen a 700 control channel issue a channel grant for a VHF freq.... I even had an XTS5000 Fail 001 when it happened, too....(A later F/W upgrade fixed that issue).

I've been out of the game on a professional level for some years, so I can only tell you what I see.

jparks29

John McClane
Are the VHF then a simulcast of the 700 system? I the audio quality seems to be that of a phase II system.

VHF area channel, VHF IWN and 700 WSP are supposed to be simulcast, but plenty of times they're not, Ie it's on IWN but not 700, or on VHF area but not IWN.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The state of Washington (WSPDOT), currently has numerous FCC license applications pending, for additional 700 MHz trunking sites across the state. Looks like they plan on expanding coverage to many new locations in 2018. The emission designators listed are for P25 Phase I and II modulation.

73's

Ron

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
What is a WSPDOT? I live here and never heard the two on the same system other than the WSP 700 MHz trunk (WSDOT Incident Command vehicles only)which can be multicast several ways. As others have pointed out, WSDOT has an aging, legacy LTR system soon to be replaced with their own freq allocations.

im800mhz

The state of Washington (WSPDOT), currently has numerous FCC license applications pending, for additional 700 MHz trunking sites across the state. Looks like they plan on expanding coverage to many new locations in 2018. The emission designators listed are for P25 Phase I and II modulation.

73's

Ron

The State Department of Transportation absolutely does have pending applications as well as an RFP for a new P25 Phase II system. If you look at he Region 43 website, you can clearly see that WSP and WSDOT are not the same system. Look at the contact information on their 601's. Bad info here leads to bad info in the future.

nr158

heres the info for the new wa dot system

Description

WSDOT LMR system is end of life and is no longer supported by the manufacture. The system replacement is critical to the agency’s ability to safely maintain and operate the states highway system. Our current vendor terminated support of the core infrastructure as of June 30, 2016. Support for all mobile and portable radios will be terminated November 25, 2019. Per RCW 43.105.331(3)(c)(iii) “any new system or equipment purchases shall be, at a minimum, upgradable to project-25”. This project will replace and add radio system equipment that is compliant and supportable.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have changed the name to WA State Patrol.
I am not going to migrate the 700 stuff to the IWN page because the DOJ stuff is owned by the feds and the 700 side is owned by the Washington State Patrol as mentioned before they are linked together with ISSI.

Sorry for the confusion.

JParks29 nice signature line LMAO <=

Status
Not open for further replies.