RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of West Virginia.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 7:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I caught an encrypted TG today while out and about. TG 9031. It was active on the Gauley & Pax Sites. I see it's not in the DB but wonder if it's State Police?

73s

Chad
Old 08-03-2012, 8:14 PM
Silent Key

Was this earlier today? If it was too bad for me since I was working That is a new one to me too and I'm sure that is state police.
Slow learner for wanting to play prog metal guitar....
Old 08-03-2012, 8:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Tg 9031

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDeadOne View Post
Was this earlier today? If it was too bad for me since I was working That is a new one to me too and I'm sure that is state police.
Yes it was about 2 pm when I caught it. First thought in may have been Beckley or S Chas but theirs was different. All traffic was encrypted (that was a bummer lol)

73s

Chad
Old 08-07-2012, 5:05 PM
Silent Key

Yay for me getting Charleston traffic back-FD,EMS and South Charleston FD(6136), and Jess I like you added that Boy Scout stuff,I'll be adding that to my scanner to see if I can pick up traffic..
Old 08-07-2012, 8:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Summit frequencies are nice addition. How did you find these?
Thanks,
Harry
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2012, 7:03 PM

Default Hardy County and SIRN

Interesting info from the Moorefield Examiner newspaper about the questioning of the Hardy County emergency management honcho by a member of the county board at their last meeting.

The topic was SIRN. The message is...Don't expect Hardy County on SIRN any time soon if the county bureaucracy can find more ways to delay it.

The county got more than 100 handheld and mobile SIRN-capable radios three years ago, totally funded by DHS grants. They appears to have done absolutely nothing with them and the batteries may now no longer hold a charge. Later in the meeting, the EM guy said that the radios still needed to be programmed. And later still he said that personnel would have to be trained (20 at a time) on how to use the radios. And they'd need to be tied in to the county's 911 Center. And figure out how the radios would work with the current towers. And...and...and.

"With everyone able to talk with each other, the tower repeaters may get blocked," the EM guy said. "The state didn't consider the number of people using the system and it would create too much traffic." Neither the reporter nor the county commissioner seems to have challenged him on any of this.

He admitted "I guess I've not been moving on this as fast as I should have, but this is a busy office and we have a system that works really well." He promised to schedule training classes for the end of this month, with 20 persons per class.

Hampshire County, adjacent to Hardy and to the north, is using SIRN and my extensive listening indicates it is working well. And Hampshire and Hardy have a joint 911 operation. The Moorefield and Ridge and Romney towers are operational and appear to serve Hardy fairly well, although holes don't usually appear until a lot of units are deployed.

Underlying some of this is that the current VHF system basically works and the volunteers have units in their POVs that let them monitor or even communicate on it. They would lose that capability with SIRN, since there would be no individual units provided. The volunteers are politically influential. Couple that with bureaucratic inertia...and don't expect much from Hardy.

Steve, N4TX
Old 08-08-2012, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skthomp View Post
Interesting info from the Moorefield Examiner newspaper about the questioning of the Hardy County emergency management honcho by a member of the county board at their last meeting.

The topic was SIRN. The message is...Don't expect Hardy County on SIRN any time soon if the county bureaucracy can find more ways to delay it.

The county got more than 100 handheld and mobile SIRN-capable radios three years ago, totally funded by DHS grants. They appears to have done absolutely nothing with them and the batteries may now no longer hold a charge. Later in the meeting, the EM guy said that the radios still needed to be programmed. And later still he said that personnel would have to be trained (20 at a time) on how to use the radios. And they'd need to be tied in to the county's 911 Center. And figure out how the radios would work with the current towers. And...and...and.

"With everyone able to talk with each other, the tower repeaters may get blocked," the EM guy said. "The state didn't consider the number of people using the system and it would create too much traffic." Neither the reporter nor the county commissioner seems to have challenged him on any of this.

He admitted "I guess I've not been moving on this as fast as I should have, but this is a busy office and we have a system that works really well." He promised to schedule training classes for the end of this month, with 20 persons per class.

Hampshire County, adjacent to Hardy and to the north, is using SIRN and my extensive listening indicates it is working well. And Hampshire and Hardy have a joint 911 operation. The Moorefield and Ridge and Romney towers are operational and appear to serve Hardy fairly well, although holes don't usually appear until a lot of units are deployed.

Underlying some of this is that the current VHF system basically works and the volunteers have units in their POVs that let them monitor or even communicate on it. They would lose that capability with SIRN, since there would be no individual units provided. The volunteers are politically influential. Couple that with bureaucratic inertia...and don't expect much from Hardy.

Steve, N4TX
Steve, you say Hardy and Hampshire County has a joint 911 operation. Can you please explain that since they both have their own 911 center and communications system?
Old 08-08-2012, 8:29 PM

Default Hampshire/Hardy

They definitely have separate comm systems and dispatching, but my understanding from some of the local first responders was that the call-taking end of things was combined.

Steve, N4TX
Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
They definitely have separate comm systems and dispatching, but my understanding from some of the local first responders was that the call-taking end of things was combined.

Steve, N4TX
I've haven't heard that before. I used to be affiliated with an EMS agency in Hardy County and as far as I know both communication centers handle their own call taking and dispatch operations. Didn't Hampshire County build a new 911 center a few years back in Romney? I guess I can't say for Hampshire, but as far as I recall, Hardy handles their own calls. Maybe someone on here can comment for sure on that?
On another note, I heard testing yesterday afternoon on talkgroup 1401 which is labeled Hardy Co fire dispatch.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hardy and Hampshire have 2 separate 911 centers that handle their own calls/dispatching. they did build a new center in the Romney area. did it say who the person making these statements was in the article?
Old 08-09-2012, 2:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
I can understand those concerns. There are other counties which are switching LE and EMS to digital but leaving VFDs on analog. There are practical considerations - the cost of equipping dozens or even hundreds of volunteers with expensive digital radios, the lack of paging with a digital system, safety of volunteers who may not get important updates when responding to calls, the benefits of having the first firefighter on the scene being able to communicate the situation to other responders, etc. For example, let's say an FD gets dispatched to a house fire. A few minutes later, the 911 center finds out the homeowner has set his own house on fire and is standing outside with a gun (this has happened). It's important to be able to communicate that info to a firefighter responding to the scene in his or her own vehicle.

Having said that, the problem I see is that the county applied for a grant when it wasn't committed to using SIRN. That's not a good deal for the taxpayers who paid for those radios.
Old 08-10-2012, 1:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default New TG

hearing tg 9591 today...sounds like national guard...loading equipment.
Old 08-10-2012, 7:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey KD

Is the Beckley SIRN Site at Raleigh General online yet? I see a couple freqs for it in the FCC records.

73s

Chad
Old 08-10-2012, 8:17 PM
Silent Key

Chad a new tower???
Old 08-10-2012, 8:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ive been scanning these freqs for a couple months...no signals, nothing heard
Harry
Old 08-10-2012, 8:25 PM
Silent Key

probably not turned on yet
Old 08-10-2012, 8:57 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default WVSIRN Pending Applications - 7/12/2012

There are two pending SIRN applications:

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0005306097 - WEST VIRGINIA STATE INTEROPERABILITY RADIO NETWORK (WVSIRN)(DIANA)

Diana (Webster)

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0005306099 - WEST VIRGINIA STATE INTEROPERABILITY RADIO NETWORK (WVSIRN)(FRANKLIN)

Franklin (Pendleton)

Mike

Last edited by mtindor; 08-10-2012 at 9:12 PM..
Old 08-10-2012, 9:03 PM
Silent Key

Keep'em coming Mike!.
Old 08-10-2012, 9:04 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default RE: WVSIRN - Need help from members

There are plenty of SIRN sites that have been licensed but not confirmed on. There are a few with pending applications which probably aren't online but will likely be going online. [They don't typically apply for licenses to sites they don't intend to build out]. There are sites for which tower construction has already been completed.

Please take a look at the link below for some licensed [or soon to be licensed] sites that haven't been confirmed online yet. If you live in the area of one of these sites, it would be nice if you could periodically check all of the frequencies for the existence of a new control channel.

Licensed SIRN sites that haven't been confirmed operational as of 8-10-2012

91xx sites are sites that will be in zone 1
92xx sites are sites that will be in zone 2
99xx sites are sites for which I am unsure which zone (1 or 2) they will be in

If you discover one of these sites to be online, please submit relevant information (zone, site ID, control channel, alternate control channel, site neighbors, etc) -- whatever you can get, to the DB via the following link:

Submit WV SIRN Data to RadioReference

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by mtindor; 08-10-2012 at 9:12 PM..
Old 08-10-2012, 9:11 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDeadOne View Post
Keep'em coming Mike!.
I"m tryin Bert Things have been slow lately as far as any FCC license happenings regarding SIRN.

-- Mike
Closed Thread