RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of West Virginia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 4:08 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDeadOne View Post
Just read in the local classifieds(fayette tribune)that there may be a 400ft telecommunications tower to be built at Thurmond,wonder if this will be just a cell tower or maybe IRP(or added on to the tower?)
Bert,

Could be. I know the WVIRP registered a proposed tower at the Glen Jean armory that according to FCC docs would be about 320 feet tall. But the site you are referring to has coordinates that place it about 4-5 mi NE of the Glen Jean armory. The FCC info doesn't claim that the Glen Jean tower has been built yet, so maybe they are going to use the tower you are referencing that's listed in the Fayette Tribune, instead of the one they previous filed with the FCC.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2011, 8:58 PM
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

National Park Service had some sites at one time proposed. It could be them. I talk to a National Park Law Enforcement just a week or 2 ago and he said they were almost ready to go with that system. He wasn't sure when the actual date was.

On another note, I wonder if the Beckley Water Tank site is for Beckley City police.... I remember the main site was going to be at RGH, and that was after it was moved from Harper Hts. Rd area. The Water Tank site is mainly used for Beckley City and any thing else EOC could not hit a tower would run thru this site and relay over to the other towers.
Old 12-18-2011, 1:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Glen Jean Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
Bert,

Could be. I know the WVIRP registered a proposed tower at the Glen Jean armory that according to FCC docs would be about 320 feet tall. But the site you are referring to has coordinates that place it about 4-5 mi NE of the Glen Jean armory. The FCC info doesn't claim that the Glen Jean tower has been built yet, so maybe they are going to use the tower you are referencing that's listed in the Fayette Tribune, instead of the one they previous filed with the FCC.

Mike
Hey guys I haven't heard much on this but it would sure be beneficial to have it there. When I travel through that area on rt. 19 it is somewhat of a "dead zone" since the coverage area is weak between the Pax and Ansted sites. A mobile radio would probably be able to use either site but at least having this site online would give adequate coverage to the areas (such as Mt Hope) that are not very well covered from the Ansted or Pax Sites.

73s

Chad
Old 12-18-2011, 1:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Beckley SIRN Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvscanner View Post
National Park Service had some sites at one time proposed. It could be them. I talk to a National Park Law Enforcement just a week or 2 ago and he said they were almost ready to go with that system. He wasn't sure when the actual date was.

On another note, I wonder if the Beckley Water Tank site is for Beckley City police.... I remember the main site was going to be at RGH, and that was after it was moved from Harper Hts. Rd area. The Water Tank site is mainly used for Beckley City and any thing else EOC could not hit a tower would run thru this site and relay over to the other towers.
Hey Jeff when did you say you heard that the Beckley Site would be operational? Of course I would think that more than two freqs would be needed to run that site. lol

73s

Chad
Old 12-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Chad, I'm not sure on the Water Tank tower WQOP400. I don't understand why its only 2 freq. unless they are going to use it as a repeater in the new system like it is currently is. The original plans that I remember was a tower going up around the Harper Hts area then it was moved over the Raleigh General Hospital. This site was discussed back around Sept. and had plans to start work or go online in March.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:14 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvscanner View Post
Chad, I'm not sure on the Water Tank tower WQOP400. I don't understand why its only 2 freq. unless they are going to use it as a repeater in the new system like it is currently is. The original plans that I remember was a tower going up around the Harper Hts area then it was moved over the Raleigh General Hospital. This site was discussed back around Sept. and had plans to start work or go online in March.
I think the two-frequency thing is simply a case of getting approval for more based upon frequencies already in use in the surrounding area. It's my guess is that they'll submit for more later [most sites have six licensed frequencies] but they wanted at least a minimum of frequencies licensed as quick as possible to facilitate turnup of the new sites.

In some areas there aren't enough available public service pool freqs and so they have to request using business band freqss, and that always takes significantly longer. There are probably no more 400 mhz PS frequencies available for them to use within the area that the new site covers.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks guys for shedding some light on that. I have heard that rumor in this area as well in reference to the very slim availability of freqs that could be used. Can't wait for the Beckley Site to make it online as well.

73s all and Merry Christmas

Chad
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No action on these frequencies...Checked last night.
New to the forum, Merry Christmas to all
Harry
Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default WQOT582 - Panther, WV (McDowell Co)

A new license:

Panther, WV (McDowell Co)

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0005045990 - WEST VIRGINIA STATE INTEROPERABILITY RADIO NETWORK (WVSIRN) (PANTHER IGELL)

Historically they usually issue 6 freqs per site. But oftentimes when submitting licenses for a new site they submit just enough frequencies to get a license and be able to run a minimally functional site. Then later on they attempt to get the additional freqs. 400 Mhz public safety freqs are hard to come by in WV, so they go for what's easy first.

Anyway, yet another new site that may end up coming online sometime in this quarter.

Mike

Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default WQOV362 - Glenville, WV (Gilmer Co)

A new license:

Glenville, WV (Gilmer Co)

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WQOV362 - WEST VIRGINIA STATE INTEROPERABILITY RADIO NETWORK (WVSIRN)(GILMER)

The tower for this site is already reported to have been constructed recently. Keep an ear out for this site to come online. If you do monitor it, please get as much relevant info as possible and submit your findings to the DB / the WVIRP forum thread.

Thanks

Mike

Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Does anyone know what Mineral County WV are?
Old 03-09-2012, 3:21 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGrimes View Post
Does anyone know what Mineral County WV are?
Can you rephrase?

Mike

Old 03-09-2012, 4:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I know Sumerco is working but I have not heard anything on Ferrelsburg
Old 03-09-2012, 7:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Park Service friend of mine says major cell phone infrastructure for boy scouts.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 AM

I bought a Pro197 Can someone talk me through how to program this scanner? I seem to be picking up Hampshire County and i'm hearing Mineral county on the same Freq. I need a little help setting this up. Thank you
Old 03-10-2012, 2:06 PM

Default Figured it out

I think I got this scanner figured out put all the freq. in for keyser then I put the talk grp ID in and it is working, I think I'm going need a better Antenna though picks up great outside my house but once I move it in not so much.