Mason County

Status
Not open for further replies.

co_riff

Premium Subscriber
New here,just signed up.The sheriff dept. has the Mototrbo system.Some of the EMS has the P25 radios.My ? is when will all of Mason Co. go to P25?
Is the RS197 a good radio to get? I have an outside ST2 antenna allready set up.I know I won't be able to get the Sheriff's dept.

Thanks Curtis

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
New here,just signed up.The sheriff dept. has the Mototrbo system.Some of the EMS has the P25 radios.My ? is when will all of Mason Co. go to P25?
Is the RS197 a good radio to get? I have an outside ST2 antenna allready set up.I know I won't be able to get the Sheriff's dept.

Thanks Curtis

Don't give up that easily. You can use DSD and a tapped analog scanner to listen to the sheriff's office if they are not running encryption. I just spend about 3 days in Staunton VA and monitored their PD on MotoTRBO without any issues.

fredva

Feed Provider
The Sheriff's Dept. has dumped the Motortrbo system. In Sept., they began using P25 along with EMS. A PRO-197 would be a good choice, but so might be a couple of other models.

co_riff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys for the info, if Sheriff's Dept. is using P25 that makes it better.They have been using it alot.A Radio Shack in Ohio will program the Pro-197 for me. After they get it done I'll report back.
Again thanks for the help.

co_riff

Premium Subscriber
P25 #'s

Got the Pro-197, the numbers from RR didn't have Mason Co P25 in them. So I'm using the Search to pick up their #'s-
The Sheriff and EMS are using these.Now I have to figure out how to store them in radio.I know their is to much reading in the new scanners to learn.

Curtis

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Got the Pro-197, the numbers from RR didn't have Mason Co P25 in them. So I'm using the Search to pick up their #'s-
The Sheriff and EMS are using these.Now I have to figure out how to store them in radio.I know their is to much reading in the new scanners to learn.

Curtis

Hi Curtis,

What you are hearing are the Point Pleasant WVSIRN sites. Those frequencies listed above are part of Point Pleasant North and Point Pleasant South sites. If the Sheriff and EMS are using those frequencies you posted above, then they are on WVSIRN.

Program in those trunked sites (2-010 and 2-011) in the database, with appropriate group wildcards, and then make note of the actual new talkgroups that you hear mason co on. Let us know how it goes. If you discover any new talkgroups not listed in the DB, please post them.

Thanks

Mike

co_riff

Premium Subscriber
Mike, I'm new at this,so I don't know how to but it in the database.I haven't been able to get the numbers in the scanner, yet.
State Police are also using these numbers.

Curtis

fredva

Feed Provider
Manual

Curtis,
If your PRO-197 manual matches mine, instructions on programming a system like this begin on Page 30. Look under "Trunking Talkgroup Objects (TGRP)" in the "Creating Scannable Objects" section of the manual. When you get to setting the Type of system (steps 6 and 7 in my manual), choose P25 Auto. When you get to adding channel frequencies (steps 9-12), enter 453.66250, 460.33750, 453.26250, and 460.46250. Those are the control channels used by the towers that are north and south of Pt. Pleasant (at Lakin and Henderson, to be more specific). There are more frequencies that are used by the system, but your scanner only needs the control channel frequencies.

When you get to adding talkgroups, you can use a wildcard talkgroup for now. That will allow you to listen to every state and local agency that is using those radio towers. Later on, you can enter specific talkgroup ids to focus on just what you want to listen to and filter out anything you don't care about.

The info about the P-25 system you want to listen to is on this page: West Virginia Statewide Interoperability Radio Network (SIRN) Trunking System, Statewide, West Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

I know this is more complicated than the old days, when you could just enter a frequency for an agency and you were done. That's because modern radio systems themselves are more complicated. But don't give up; with a little time and patience you can get it.

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
To limit confusion - don't be concerned about the fact that the control channel frequencies I gave you don't match the frequencies you found in your search. If the scanner has the control channel frequencies programmed in, it will find the voice frequencies being used.

co_riff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike for your help. I'm going to leave it on search for a couple weeks to see what else I can pick up. The fire deptments and local police havn't changed over yet.I haven't hooked it up to my outside antenna yet.
I could bring it to you to put in the new numbers!

Curtis

fredva

Feed Provider
Thanks Mike for your help. I'm going to leave it on search for a couple weeks to see what else I can pick up. The fire deptments and local police havn't changed over yet.I haven't hooked it up to my outside antenna yet.
I could bring it to you to put in the new numbers!

Curtis

Well, a couple of days ago I might have been able to do that, but I'm back home in Virginia now after visiting family in Mason County.

I'm a little surprised Pt. Pleasant police haven't switched to digital. Mason PD is using digital, along with the sheriff's dept. and state police. The digital system is more of a challenge for volunteer fire departments, in part because they can't use pagers with that system, so they may not switch anytime soon.

co_riff

Premium Subscriber
Up date. Point Pleasant police using P25.
Point Pleasant Fire using narrowband- 453.6375
Station 200, Apple Grove is using P25.
So most of Mason Co. going over to P25.

Curtis

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Up date. Point Pleasant police using P25.
Point Pleasant Fire using narrowband- 453.6375
Station 200, Apple Grove is using P25.
So most of Mason Co. going over to P25.

Curtis

Welcome c_riff to RR, I want to say Glad to have You, If You log any talk groups or new stuff make sure to submit them to the Data Base. We will be glad to add it.

co_riff

Premium Subscriber
They have been using what they call a private channel.
Bubba thanks,but I don't know how to put them in the data base.

Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.