Pipeliners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otis413

The pipeliners are setting up to do their thing here in Pocahontas Co., with a base of operations in Greenbank, from what I hear they'll be here for a year or so.
So far I'v not been able to find out much about them except for what's on their FCC license.

U S PIPELINE INC
950 ECHO LANE SUITE 100
HOUSTON, TX 77024

WQBN281
FRN: 0011357092

043.040 MHz Mobile - Itinerant (100 units)
451.080 MHz Mobile - Itinerant (60 units)
451.080 MHz Mobile Relay - Itinerant (2 units)
456.800 MHz Mobile - Itinerant (60 units)

If you know anything more, or have a correction, please post it!

Otis
KD8VBV

dr400

Also check

You might want to check the itinerant frequencies. Here in eastern Ohio drillers and related trucking can be found on the 4xx MHz and 15x MHz frequencies.

Sorry I don't have the list but they're the common itinerant ones. Who knows you might even stumble on a Wal-Mart while listening to the frequency groups.

DaleR

Otis413

You might want to check the itinerant frequencies. Here in eastern Ohio drillers and related trucking can be found on the 4xx MHz and 15x MHz frequencies.

Sorry I don't have the list but they're the common itinerant ones. Who knows you might even stumble on a Wal-Mart while listening to the frequency groups.

DaleR

My local(ish) Wallymart uses 154.570 (MURS) with a digital PL tone, and a few other business use the FRS/GMRS bands for their coms. It wouldn't surprise me any to hear the piprliners on those bands as well.

Otis413

I'v been hearing chatter and a morse code id on 464.500 (Brown dot) just recently, talking about loading trucks and giving directions.
Also, I'v been told by reliable sources that the NRAO has been blocking US Pipe from using their radios (One of their bases of operation is in Greenbank, a few miles from where I live) so maybe they're using another channel licensed under another name?

phask

Premium Subscriber
I'll bet they get shut down and stay shut down in GB. I forget how far out the rado free zone extends.

I'v been hearing chatter and a morse code id on 464.500 (Brown dot) just recently, talking about loading trucks and giving directions.
Also, I'v been told by reliable sources that the NRAO has been blocking US Pipe from using their radios (One of their bases of operation is in Greenbank, a few miles from where I live) so maybe they're using another channel licensed under another name?

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I'll bet they get shut down and stay shut down in GB. I forget how far out the rado free zone extends.

This prompts an observation and begs a question. I've never had any luck finding any SIRN anywhere near Green Bank, and it appears to me that Pocahontas, Pendleton and Randolph counties are generally staying below UHF. Is this actually true, and does this mean the SIRN can't happen within a certain radius of Green Bank? Even in Elkins, the only SIRN I generally hear is for the counties immediately west.

Also, it might be productive to check for the pipeline folks on 151.505, 158.400, maybe even 151.625 if NRAO has decided that the 450's are too high in frequency to tolerate.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Otis413

The quiet zone includes Randolph Co., it's not quite so strict as it is in Pocahontas, Greenbank people cant have WiFi or microwave ovens. No SIRN or digital (that I know of) in Pocahontas Co., the Sheriff dept., fire/ems, dept homeland security and the state police (as well as the Power company and the telephone line crews) all use VHF NFM and VHF lo band FM. (No cell phone service in this area at all) The NRAO has also blocked trunked systems from being used in Pocahontas and Pendelton Co's.
Anyway, it is the US Pipeline people using 464.5, I was listening to them today. Same Morris code ID as their 451.8 channel. I'm adding MURS and some other business band channels to my scan list.
Otis
KD8VBV
Eight Rivers Amateur Radio Club N8RV

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
The quiet zone includes Randolph Co., it's not quite so strict as it is in Pocahontas, Greenbank people cant have WiFi or microwave ovens. No SIRN or digital (that I know of) in Pocahontas Co., the Sheriff dept., fire/ems, dept homeland security and the state police (as well as the Power company and the telephone line crews) all use VHF NFM and VHF lo band FM. (No cell phone service in this area at all) The NRAO has also blocked trunked systems from being used in Pocahontas and Pendelton Co's.
Anyway, it is the US Pipeline people using 464.5, I was listening to them today. Same Morris code ID as their 451.8 channel. I'm adding MURS and some other business band channels to my scan list.
Otis
KD8VBV
Eight Rivers Amateur Radio Club N8RV

Thanks. I generally cover these and other eastern counties in the WV QSO Party. When I first went in 2015, I emailed the manager at NRAO describing my intentions, equipment, and my anticipated locations but got no reply. After hearing some pretty strong CB signals in Pendleton County, I concluded that NRAO must not care much about HF.

I generally don't get any closer than Mace or Bartow, and by time I'm at Bartow I'm generally on my way home. (Richmond, VA) I usually catch Pendleton at the county line just north of 250 before climbing the mountain back home. Have noticed that Sugar Grove still has dishes and have heard their 380 MHz ELMR in the last couple years. Are they still a Quiet Zone concern?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.