Ws-1080 In stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
Should be interesting to see how these Whistler built radios compare to the GRE built models. I have a bad feeling that inferior components as well as cost cutting shortcuts will prove them being less than the originals. When I heard that the sales team and not the engineers were employed by Whistler it sent a message to me which I believe we will see in the coming months. Someone needs to improve on the poorly designed front end of the GRE's and I do not see whistler having the talent or desire to do so. I guess it was kind of nifty to see them pick up the line, but I would advise extreme caution to anyone who expects to find GRE quality in these builds.

payj

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Does this have any stand out features over the psr-800 or the BCD436?? Or are they all about the same and it comes down to personal preference? Thank you

scannerbuff999

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
they are just re-band no r and d money that way they did not to put any money out it is just a PSR-800 clone

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I noticed on the Ham Station web site the radio is shown with a yellow display instead of a blue display.

What is the correct color ?

Boatanchor

Will be very interesting to see the inevitable YouTube side by side comparisons of the WS1080 and the BCD436. I hope Whistler fixed the dodgy front panel paint on these. It is a shame that the 'high end' Whistler scanner employs the dumb iPod shuffle style user interface. If the WS1080 had a full keypad, I might even buy one.

cmf944

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 just delivered

My Whisler WS1080 was just delivered by Fedex at 11:30am EST. Big thanks to Jeff (Trido) at the Ham Station for such quick service.

Attachments

• ws1080.jpg
    ws1080.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 13,423

trunker

My Whisler WS1080 was just delivered by Fedex at 11:30am EST. Big thanks to Jeff (Trido) at the Ham Station for such quick service.

Gotta tell us if there is anything new or different from the PSR800 that Whistler sneaked in (although I doubt there is any change) .

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Thanks cmf944, thanks for the feed on phone minutes ago and it is working great near Indy.
Also he reports there is a firmware upgrade so everyone will want to do that.

looks like we will have no gre face plate issues.

The case on the WS1080 is glossy.

Last edited:

cmf944

Premium Subscriber
Display and other info

The display is a blue color (see picture). The audio is FANTASTIC. So clear and legible. As Jeff mentioned from the Ham Station the case is glossy. There is no coating to wear off like the early PSR800's. Yes there was a firmware update from ver 2.3 to ver 2.4, although i did not take the time to read the updates (to excited). I also had to update the database. From unboxing, loading the EZ Scan software was very simple, updating the firmware was a piece of cake as well as updating the database. And what I really like is the fact that I built my first system on the WS1080 right from the keyboard in a matter of a couple of minutes. I did not have to hook it up to a computer and build it like the new Unidens (436/536). This is a big deal to me that I do not have to carry a laptop with me to program the WS1080 while traveling like you do with the Uniden scanners, and no the zip code method is not my cup of tea. Yes I have manually built groups with the new Unidens and that was absolutely no fun at all and took a long frustrating time - no thank you. Maybe Uniden will come out with extreme upgrades for them similar to the HP-1. I have recently sold my 436 and will be shipping out my 536 soon in anticipation of the WS1095.

Ill post more updates as I go, but so far the WS1080 is a winner......

Attachments

• display.jpg
    display.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 13,255

minasha

Does anyone know if that firmware update 2.4 on the 1080 is compatible with the GRE psr-800 ?

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if that firmware update 2.4 on the 1080 is compatible with the GRE psr-800 ?

That is a very interesting question.

If I remember correctly the last firmware version for the psr-800 was 1.8

Have they done something since then in firmware to be up to version 2.4

or have they started a new numbering system for updates ?

jamesa53

You do remember correctly.

Latest PSR 800:

UP Appl Version: 1.8
DSP Appl Version: 1.3
DSP Voc Ver: 1.6 (this version supports the Phase II P 25)

BTW what is being paid for these WS 1080 scanners?

and yes I bought my PSR 800 from trido. Great guy and business.

Looks like the base of the antenna is encased in plastic, other than that and the name Whistler it looks like the same scanner.

Last edited:

minasha

If the 1080 is a "clone" of the psr-800 then the firmware updates should work on the psr-800's.
However if they did any changes with the micro chips the 800 might become fried if anyone tries it.
First we would need a website to get the update 2.4 for the 1080.
Has anyone bought a 1080 and updated it? If so please post the site for the update. I'll try it
I'm feeling brave!

Status
Not open for further replies.