JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Time to update our WS1080 scanners
There's a new update for the EZScan application itself AND Firmware 2.8
Release notes:
Whistler EZ SCAN Digital
Handheld Trunking Scanner
Version 2.04 - June 3, 2015
Corrected issue where the DSP DAC Gain value was not being stored correctly.
Adjusted the DSP DAC Gain range to match the latest CPU firmware with a range of -10db to +2db. Values will be adjusted to the default value of -4db the first time the file is loaded into the PC Application or the scanner.
Corrected an issue where updates could not be completed when using a Verizon HotSpot for Internet connectivity.
Removed an error message (No Sites Selected) that appeared when a trunked system was selected during an import but no talkgroups or transmitter sites were selected for import.
CPU Firmware
Release Notes
Version 2.8 - June 3, 2015
DAC gain changes for digital "too loud" problem
EDACS ESK detection fixes
Fixes for password / alarm functions. Changes were not always preserved on power-down.

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
New Updates for WS1080 scanner

Sure thing. Saw it today when checking updates. I like that they gave us the option of
-10 to +2 for the DSP DAC Gain range for the "too loud" thing. Haven't had any Phase 2
D2* TDMA transmissions to test it yet though. Fire-grounds around me all have it so I'll be able to check as soon as there's a call tomorrow by the Fire depts.

Chris45

OK, I really like the Whistler 1080, especially after the Uniden nightmare I went through. Part of my concern is that firmware and other updates are generally not reversible, meaning you are stuck with them, for better or worse. I have also found that some scanners perform better without the upgrades.
I have never updated my 1080 and it is still performing great. Should I go for the updates or forget about them? Remember - If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Thanks!

SOFA_KING

Why, oh why couldn't they have added a column for NAC on the Recorded Audio Index section?

You want to communicate with these companies and request these needed feateres, but it is like they don't want to hear from you. They are unavailable by e-mail, and even turn off PM on these forums. Your only recourse is to try and get through to them here, but you get almost no acknowledgement, so you don't know if they see your suggestions or not.

This would have been an easy add, as the information is displayed on the screen during recording. It couldn't be that hard to capture it in the header and add a NAC column.

And for with is was worth, I did send Whistler my suggestions to the only e-mail address that was published. I received NO RESPONSE.

Great communication, guys (not!).

Phil

TAbirdman

And for with is was worth, I did send Whistler my suggestions to the only e-mail address that was published. I received NO RESPONSE.

Great communication, guys (not!).

Phil

When did you send it? Remember their a M-F 8-5pm company

3mary2

Help

Sure thing. Saw it today when checking updates. I like that they gave us the option of
-10 to +2 for the DSP DAC Gain range for the "too loud" thing. Haven't had any Phase 2
D2* TDMA transmissions to test it yet though. Fire-grounds around me all have it so I'll be able to check as soon as there's a call tomorrow by the Fire depts.

So what exactly will happen if I change the DSP Gain? I have a P25 Phase 2 system in my default selection which out blasts everything else. Tried everything to bring all the systems to the same volume level without success. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

TAbirdman

So what exactly will happen if I change the DSP Gain? I have a P25 Phase 2 system in my default selection which out blasts everything else. Tried everything to bring all the systems to the same volume level without success. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Lowering the gain will lower the volume of the digital signals - getting it close to the analog level. Just have to play with the settings.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Updates for WS1080 scanner 6/3/15

I'm sorry 3Mary2, I never saw your question back then, but they answered it. The problem with the TDMA BLASTS has been mostly fixed. I just turn mine to -9 and 0 or close to it to keep those surprise BLASTS down. The Whistler scanner/PSR-800 and Pro668's have a problem. Conventional frequency volumes are WAY too low for the most part on the handhelds. The ABst function in the EZScan software for each "object" doesn't do squat from what I hear. So to even out all the volume I feed my WS1080 into an old Sports Sync radio from Scanner Master. It has an AUX input and more than doubles the volume for conventional frequencies. Then, I need only lower my WS1080 volume at 15 or so and fix the DSP DAC gain at -8 or -9 and ADC gain at 0 and the sound is pretty close to the same as my conventional objects which are amplified now. TDMA broadcasts are still "different" louder... but not nearly as shocking. THIS is all at HOME where I do this. In the car I just turn everything to +2 for both DAC and ADC. I saw marine hm asked if you had fixed things yesterday on 9/7/2015... I was wondering too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.