WS-1080 P25 Phase 2 no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpm3

My 1080 sometimes (in some cases frequently) will stop on talkgroups on local (Seattle-Tacoma) P25 Phase II systems without any audio. These silent "pauses" will typically last from 5 to 7 seconds and in some cases noticeably longer. The LED "alert" that I have programmed will illuminate and the radio display shows the talkgroup, system and site info; but no audio, not even "open carrier". Every once in awhile, the radio will produce some audio after such a prolonged pause and before beginning scanning once more; but typically it simply returns to scanning and regular reception returns - until the next time this happens. This issue doesn't appear to occur on the other local trunked systems (Motorola Type II - e.g. King County). The settings on the radio are basically out-of-the-box. I doubt this is an issue with encryption as I understand the radio won't even stop on encrypted transmissions and these are talkgroups are typically not encrypted (e.g. Fire Dispatch). If someone has suggestions on what settings might resolve the issue, I welcome their being shared.

Ed6698

The WS1080 will stop on encrypted transmissions, and if it set to silence you will not hear anything. This may or may not be the issue you are encountering though.

N8IAA

My 1080 sometimes (in some cases frequently) will stop on talkgroups on local (Seattle-Tacoma) P25 Phase II systems without any audio. These silent "pauses" will typically last from 5 to 7 seconds and in some cases noticeably longer. The LED "alert" that I have programmed will illuminate and the radio display shows the talkgroup, system and site info; but no audio, not even "open carrier". Every once in awhile, the radio will produce some audio after such a prolonged pause and before beginning scanning once more; but typically it simply returns to scanning and regular reception returns - until the next time this happens. This issue doesn't appear to occur on the other local trunked systems (Motorola Type II - e.g. King County). The settings on the radio are basically out-of-the-box. I doubt this is an issue with encryption as I understand the radio won't even stop on encrypted transmissions and these are talkgroups are typically not encrypted (e.g. Fire Dispatch). If someone has suggestions on what settings might resolve the issue, I welcome their being shared.

Did you just program the radio straight out of the box without doing any data base, DSP, and Firmware updates? That could be the root of your problem. The database in the radio from the factory will not be updated. Neither will the DSP and firmware.
Load the software, and check for updates.
Larry

lsh1885

I get that too sometimes though not as often as you describe and I am not scanning any encrypted talkgroups and everything has been updated, I'll also hear a bump, bump in the background like the scanner is trying to decode but is having some difficulties doing so.I will say though that the problem you speak of as well as Simulcast distortion (garbled audio) has decreased tremendously on my scanner since the recent firmware update I believe it went from 2.7 to 2.8 if my memory serves me correct.

troymail

Silent Key
I get that too sometimes though not as often as you describe and I am not scanning any encrypted talkgroups and everything has been updated, I'll also hear a bump, bump in the background like the scanner is trying to decode but is having some difficulties doing so.I will say though that the problem you speak of as well as Simulcast distortion (garbled audio) has decreased tremendously on my scanner since the recent firmware update I believe it went from 2.7 to 2.8 if my memory serves me correct.

For my area, I've found a combination of things help reception:

- consider programming ONLY the control channel frequency for the system (or for each site for a given system)

- if the system has multiple sites, put each site into a separate scanlist so you can enable/disable whatever sites you want to try to receive.

- most important: put the radio into talkgroup hold on a lightly used or invalid talkgroup ID; slowly move the radio around looking for a set of stable full bars reception and a reasonably solid and stable pattern of the blinking "T" ; keep the radio in the position and put it back into scan mode....

None of these are optimal but they can make a big difference.

I have two radios monitoring two different sites on my State system and they each have their own "sweet spot" for reception.

iamretirednev

RS Pro668 no sound also

I just got this radio in tweaking it I lost the sound when P25 Phase 2 stopped while scanning alert on and no sound, I pressed the sel/pause button and sound came on. So then i let it scan again it stiopped again on a p25 transmision and i hit the select pause button and no sound again. i googled and searched and found same complaint after the user set the record functions on. I shut off the record features and it seems to be working right?

SCPD

QRT
1080/pro668

I have this radio and it will not work with the NJ PSIC 700 mhz West orange Site with the control channel only.Record is Off.Tried all ideas like varying the DSP levels,even contacted Whistler.No ENC talkgroups,I locked those out!

N8IAA

It's been three weeks since the OP has been on. Don't you just love when one tries to help, and no response from the OP?
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.