Who has the WS-1095?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Now that the 1095 is out I was just curious on who picked one up? Except for a few power users and those with IBS I haven't seen many folks speak up about getting one. I figured it may be due to the high price or users waiting for more reviews in it. I know that when they were announced everyone was excited but there are only a few reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Dan
I am wondering the same thing. Within a week of the 536HP hitting the streets, there seemed to be pages of reviews. With all the hoopla about the 1095, I figured we would see a lot more reviews and comparisons,
I am not jumping on this one. I know some rave about the 1080, but it seems to have the worse decoding of all the newer scanners I own on LAPD, which I do monitor quite often. Perhaps user error on my part. But I want to see more comparisons before I consider the 1095.

wise871

Database Admin
Steve
I agree what you posted. Everyone couldn't wait for the WS1095 but now that it's out the reviews and videos are scarce compared to other scanner releases. This scanner has been in high demand since the original PSR-900 announcement. I've watched all the video Doug (K4DPS) released and read some of the quick comments here in the forums. I even tried out Doug's scanner since he is local to me.

Even though I hate the program software I still have the WS1095 on my must have list if it performs well on more than one Phase 2 system.

marksmith

Radios like the 536 might have people gun-shy about pulling the pin on a brand new radio. I got burned on the 536.

Just received my 1095 yesterday. It's s little smaller than the Uniden base type radios, and actually quite cute.

Nice clear top-firing speaker is the next thing you notice. Installed software and drivers and pumped one of my psr-800 setups into it, and off she goes.

Nice BRIGHT readable display. Seems to have excellent sensitivity across vhf thru 800 mz bands. Don't listen to much on vhf lo.

It's size makes installation as it is a good probability since it's a small unit.
Clipped the ether net cable (supplied) between unit and head.

The head weighs literally nothing. Everything operates from the head. Very nice. Will have to scope out potential installations in the vehicles.

Decodes p1 and p2 very clearly, same as my psr-800, but I think the top firing speaker improves on the 800 clarity.

Going to enjoy this radio.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PRO652

SCPD

QRT
The reason you do not see a lot of people here with the 1095 is cause they work. There is nothing that is done poorly .. or with features that do not work. Sure it does not have all the bells and whistles of the 536, but who cares. What it does .. it does very very well. And best of all .. I do not have to remember a single code to make it work flawlessly.

I think that Mark is right, due to the mess that is the Uniden models, a lot of people are shy to pull the trigger on this one. But as a 1095 owner, if you have a PSR800 or 1080 and like them, then this is a radio for you.

I had my 1095 working perfectly in less than a minute when I got it. It was as simple as sticking in the SD card (pre-programmed with my PSR800 data) and pressing the power button. Doesn't get any better than that.

As far as the software .. the one thing, it is very important to go to the Advanced menu and select the items there. The software is much better if all the tabs on the bottom are there. The software is a bit awkward without doing that.

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
The reason you do not see a lot of people here with the 1095 is cause they work. There is nothing that is done poorly .. or with features that do not work.

Your comment makes no since. If it's such a great scanner there should be tons of chatter and video on the forums telling everyone to go out and get one. I'm sure it works great and thats why I'm eyeing one for my collection.

I agree with Marks statement and I'm sure will see more reviews down the road. I'm sure your signature doesn't make you biased in why it's such an AWESOME scanner, :lol::lol:

I'm sure it didn't take long to get running since you probably used the same file as your PSR-800. What I hate most about the software is the fact you can't move channels up or down in sort order like you can with Win500.

SCPD

QRT
My comment makes perfect sense .. the reason that you are not seeing a ton of threads here re the 1095 is cause there are no problems with the scanner. Besides compared to Uniden .. there is nothing wrong with being under the radar.

Unlike the 436/536, there is just no need to post about things that are not working. That is why there is the lack of threads. (I used to own a 436HP but sold it .. it had poor build quality and I could not accept how poorly its user interface was designed. I dumped it fast).

As a result .. I will probably never buy another Uniden until they really get back to the old days when they made a quality product.

Re the videos .. myself I couldn't care less about making videos or making comparisons. There is a enough information on this scanner in this forum. You just have to do some reading .. it is all here.

It is a very simple radio to understand .. it is a base / mobile of the 1080. Nothing more nothing less.

wise871

Database Admin
Your right, it's perfect. No need to talk about it. It's not like new users are interested in purchasing one and we're trying to find out as much information before we shell out $500.

On another note I do agree about your remarks on quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
I paid over $800 for mine here in Canada, so for me it was a much bigger investment. I had much more to lose .. as I could not easily return mine if I did not like it.

I can make a video or try to compare til I am blue, but honestly there is absolutely nothing that could possibly be said that has not already been said before. If someone looking to buy one wants to know more .. it is all here.

There are several excellent threads on this radio already. The nice thing is that all the information is all in one forum .. you do not have to run around looking for it.

DJ11DLN

I would guess that relatively few 1095's have been sold so far. The market has to be saturated in the wake of the RS mess and fire sale, a situation that is ultimately temporary. So probably not all that many folks yet to comment on how well or poorly it works, what its relatively strong and weak points are, etc. Except those here who have done so and continue to comment. And if it works as well as it seems to so far, then I agree, the un-squeaky wheel gathers no grease...people tend to have less to say about stuff that does work than stuff that causes trouble.

I've vacillated back and forth between an HP-2 and a 1095 for the top spot on my wish list, and based on various comments around here I think it is going to be a 1095. Just as soon as the piggy bank gets recharged.:wink:

marksmith

I am the proud owner of a couple HP-2E radios and now a 1095.
You can't go wrong with either radio.

Have owned other GRE radios and expect a top performing radio out of the 1095. It is a 1080 that plugs into the wall as a base, or its a mobile with something smaller than your TV remote you can put on your dashboard. It's a hot front end radio with good reception.

The HP-2E is a Uniden radio that unlike the x36 radios, have not required a single firmware fix in its life yet.

The HP-2 and 1095/1080 radios appear to be the most solid radios on the market utilizing an SD card for an on-board updating database.

You can't go wrong with whatever you choose and I would buy another of these with little hesitation.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PRO652

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly, Edmscan has mostly analog in his area. I have to agree that my 1080 sounds great on analog, and it does sound great on "strong" digital stations. The operative word here is "strong."
For example, we have the entire LAPD system (P25 conventional) with about 100 channels. Some are much farther from me than others.
The 1080 sounds great on stronger stations, but on weaker stations, it "Donald Ducks" out where as my 436HP still decodes very well. There are times the 1080 breaks squelch on a weak digital station when the 436HP does not, but in those cases, it is all the "Donald Duck" sound.
Edmscan, correct me if I am wrong about your analog/digital situation. Mark in MD, how does the 1095 do on digital, if you have a lot of such channels in your area?
I still "sort of like" the 436HP/536HP, but I have to admit that the muffled sound and the dimming screen, especially, on the 536HP, don't exactly make long periods of listening all that enjoyable.

eddie8965

Just ordered my 1095 this mornin ! Ive been scanning with my 668 for a couple of months here in southern illinois,im about 18 miles from the nearest P25 site,p1 and p2 are perfect with a five bar signal meter. I`m using a 800-900mhz yagi about 15-18 feet in the air,and the starcom21 is busy all day...just wanted the 1095 for my desk,and use the 668 for mobile,on my way to work every day,i pass the district19 illinois state police tower,its probably 200 yards from the highway

SCPD

QRT
Yes .. we have an Edacs system here that is to be replaced with a province wide P25 system next year. I have used the 1095 on P25 here and it was very very good, better than the 436HP I used to have in the past (I sold it cause it was such a POC).

I consider myself lucky that I do not have to worry about terrible audio issues like many on P25 systems. I am not looking forward to the move in the least.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... had my 1095 the day they were available... always liked GRE sound on digital over Bearcat and got really burned on the x36's with muffled digital and dim displays... 1095 head is small and light and mounted on the steering column with mounting tape... the flat cable cancels well and the radio tucks away sideways behind the external speaker in the center console where I can reach the data card easily... it performs well and sounds clear and crisp on p-1 and p-2... wish it had a keyboard to change scan lists when driving but the display is bold and bright and it serves me well... all the "features" of the x36's don't mean anything to me if I can't understand what's being said and can't see who saying it... Bob...

wise871

Database Admin
I still "sort of like" the 436HP/536HP, but I have to admit that the muffled sound and the dimming screen, especially, on the 536HP, don't exactly make long periods of listening all that enjoyable.

So Steve, when are you going to get the WS1095? You still have room on your signature. :D

nyscan

... had my 1095 the day they were available... always liked GRE sound on digital over Bearcat and got really burned on the x36's with muffled digital and dim displays... 1095 head is small and light and mounted on the steering column with mounting tape... the flat cable cancels well and the radio tucks away sideways behind the external speaker in the center console where I can reach the data card easily... it performs well and sounds clear and crisp on p-1 and p-2... wish it had a keyboard to change scan lists when driving but the display is bold and bright and it serves me well... all the "features" of the x36's don't mean anything to me if I can't understand what's being said and can't see who saying it... Bob...
What do you use for an antenna?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... I have a nmo mount and have various antennas collected over the years... my default antenna is a Larson 150/450/800 tri band (not the expensive one with the spring and the large base, but the center loaded 17 in whip without the spring)... my area is mostly UHF, T band and 700/800 but there are a few very important agencies I monitor on VHF high band otherwise I would use a 1/4 wave 5 in whip (UHF/T) or a 3 in whip (800)... in fringe areas on P-1/ P-2 where the signal is weak you will get the robotic sound but I think that's with any "scanner" as opposed to professional radio equipment... I don't have that problem as the signals are strong in my area... as I said it would be nice to have a keyboard and the volume offset feature on the 1095 but the bottom line is I need performance and dependability to do my job...

DJ11DLN

... in fringe areas on P-1/ P-2 where the signal is weak you will get the robotic sound but I think that's with any "scanner" as opposed to professional radio equipment.

Got news for you, commercial gear does it too if there's insufficient signal...except for some that just mutes if the signal is below minimums for clean decode and you don't even know that someone is trying to TX. One of the things I hate about digital over analog, but that's another topic. Just sayin', just because gear is commercial, doesn't mean it's perfect!:wink:

All 3 of my scanners have equal or better audio quality on decode than any of the admittedly-a-few-years-old EFJ or Moto gear I've been around, and 2 of them are closely related to the 1095, making me hope that it performs just as well (just so I don't get flamed for going totally off-topic).

Status
Not open for further replies.