Whistler Scanners and Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Although there is a debate as whether this is even required .. here are instructions on how to install the USB Driver for your Whistler WS-1080 and WS-1095 scanners should you have problems in Windows 10. Many of the steps are similar to the procedure in Windows 8.

NOTE ... this has NO impact re the EZScan software working under Windows 10. There are no problems there. The software has been seen to work fine under Windows 10.

This is only for USB driver installation if you have problems "connecting to your scanner" while using the USB cable.

You can test if this is needed by trying to update the time on the scanner by selecting "Set Real Time Clock to Computer Time" under the Scanner SD Card menu in the EZScan software. If it does not work .. this should fix that problem.

This has been tested in the Windows 10 Public Release of July 29/2015.

1. Go to Start Menu
2. Hold down Shift key and press Restart under Power menu item.
3. Under Choose an Option .. select 'Troubleshoot'
4. Select 'Advanced Options'
5. Select 'Startup Settings'
Press Restart
Press F7 for Unsigned Drivers.

Once restarted .. login as normal.

6. Go To Device Manager in Control Panel
7. Select Ports (Com + LPT)
8. You should see .. "USB Serial Device (ComX)" when your Whistler scanner is connected.

You can now install the USB driver.

9. Right click on 'Update Driver Software' under that Com Port above.
10. Select Browse My Computer for Driver Software.

At the bottom, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
11. Highlight Whistler WS-1080 or WS-1095 Serial Device as applicable.
12. Click Next
13. You will see "Windows cannot verify the publisher of this driver software'
14. Select "Install this driver software anyways"
15. Click Close

The driver will now be installed as "Whistler WS-1080 or WS-1095 Serial Device (ComX) as applicable"

You can now use your scanner for USB communications that require it .. programming / firmware updates and time updates for example. I personally recommend using a SD card reader where applicable as it is so much faster than USB.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCPD

QRT
#9 above should say .. Right click on the USB Serial Device (ComX) item above and select 'Update Driver Software.."

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Ditto. I decided to put Windows 10 on and it didn't see the USB link on my scanner.
Tried the instructions above and it worked perfectly on my WS1080. Thanks here too.

k3ygc

win 10

i also had problems after downloading windows 10, communicating with my ws 1080.the only problem i had was my ports were hidden on my devices screen on my pc. once i located them, the above instructions did the trick. again, thanks! ... mike.

ddsbstrb

Thanks so much for the great assistance, edmscan! I was another 1080 owner who installed the Windows 10 update this week and the scanner's USB connection did not work.

Spent some time trying to figure out where control panel and device manager were in Windows 10; but, survived the challenge and the USB port is working fine with the Whistler 1080, again.

I, also, prefer to use my card reader when working with the library and setting up scan lists. It works so much faster, as several have stated.

My, I hadn't been around, lately and see Whistler has their own topic area. I am glad to see it finally spun off from GRE. I am also a GRE-user with using a PSR-600. Both are great scanners.

victorspecial

Premium Subscriber
Although there is a debate as whether this is even required .. here are instructions on how to install the USB Driver for your Whistler WS-1080 and WS-1095 scanners should you have problems in Windows 10. Many of the steps are similar to the procedure in Windows 8.

NOTE ... this has NO impact re the EZScan software working under Windows 10. There are no problems there. The software has been seen to work fine under Windows 10.

This is only for USB driver installation if you have problems "connecting to your scanner" while using the USB cable.

You can test if this is needed by trying to update the time on the scanner by selecting "Set Real Time Clock to Computer Time" under the Scanner SD Card menu in the EZScan software. If it does not work .. this should fix that problem.

This has been tested in the Windows 10 Public Release of July 29/2015.

1. Go to Start Menu
2. Hold down Shift key and press Restart under Power menu item.
3. Under Choose an Option .. select 'Troubleshoot'
4. Select 'Advanced Options'
5. Select 'Startup Settings'
Press Restart
Press 7 for Unsigned Drivers.

Once restarted .. login as normal.

6. Go To Device Manager in Control Panel
7. Select Ports (Com + LPT)
8. You should see .. "USB Serial Device (ComX)" when your Whistler scanner is connected.

You can now install the USB driver.

9. Right click on 'Update Driver Software' under that Com Port above.
10. Select Browse My Computer for Driver Software.

At the bottom, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
11. Highlight Whistler WS-1080 or WS-1095 Serial Device as applicable.
12. Click Next
13. You will see "Windows cannot verify the publisher of this driver software'
14. Select "Install this driver software anyways"
15. Click Close

The driver will now be installed as "Whistler WS-1080 or WS-1095 Serial Device (ComX) as applicable"

You can now use your scanner for USB communications that require it .. programming / firmware updates and time updates for example. I personally recommend using a SD card reader where applicable as it is so much faster than USB.

Thanks, it worked.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I noticed that when I connect my 1095 it will appear under the COM ports in Device Manager but withing the EZ Scan software it would say it could not find the scanner. Is this the fix or do I have another issue since it is showing under COM ports?

I know I could just try it but it is installed in my mobile and not a quick grab to try it out. It wouldn't let me update the firmware or DSP the other night but it's reinstalled right now. Guess I'm being lazy but I appreciate the answer.

SCPD

QRT
I noticed that when I connect my 1095 it will appear under the COM ports in Device Manager but withing the EZ Scan software it would say it could not find the scanner. Is this the fix or do I have another issue since it is showing under COM ports?

I know I could just try it but it is installed in my mobile and not a quick grab to try it out. It wouldn't let me update the firmware or DSP the other night but it's reinstalled right now. Guess I'm being lazy but I appreciate the answer.

The process above is what you need to do .. and to test it, try setting the time on your scanner using the 'Set Real Time Clock to Computer Time' menu item in the software.

That will tell you if you can communicate with the scanner by USB.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The process above is what you need to do .. and to test it, try setting the time on your scanner using the 'Set Real Time Clock to Computer Time' menu item in the software.

That will tell you if you can communicate with the scanner by USB.

Had some time so I pulled it again and gave it a shot. Worked like a charm and I got it updated. Thanks for the tip!

SCPD

QRT
Sorry but a sticky would be a much better idea than a Wiki item.

There needs to be 2 stickies .. one for USB connection issues, ie the data in this thread, and one for the 'waiting for main unit' error including SD card error code information.

That should cover 95% of all issues that people will have with a Whistler scanner.

Last edited:

QDP2012

Sorry but a sticky would be a much better idea than a Wiki item.

As always the Whistler people are treated like 2nd class citizens.

There needs to be 2 stickies .. one for USB connection issues, ie the data in this thread, and one for the 'waiting for main unit' error including SD card error code information.

That should cover 95% of all issues that people will have with a Whistler scanner.

To get this thread stuck, you probably will need to click the little red triangle and use the reporting form to submit your request to the moderators.

Hope this helps,

SCPD

QRT
To get this thread stuck, you probably will need to click the little red triangle and use the reporting form to submit your request to the moderators.

Hope this helps,

This is now done .. hope that we can help a few more people this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.