WS1080: WS1080 - Global attenuation - Pls explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

hth999

The user manual of the WS1080 does not explain ( very well ) the different types of attenuation, at least in terms to a new scanner person. By pressing the ATT key the display can say GA or G. What is global attenuation? And what is G?
I am a newbie, and am having trouble receiving some signals. Overall I am happy with the unit P25 is receiving well for the 3 major police departments in my county.
However some P25 transmissions don't come in or are garbled. Might be multi site problems.

Anyway can someone explain GA and G that appear on the LCD screen. It would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hal

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Global Attenuation is a setting that will attenuate (weaken) everything incoming when the attenuator is turned on. G indicates that the Global Attenuation setting is turned on, but by itself does not mean anything is attenuated. A indicates that the scanner is actively attenuating the incoming signal. It is still possible to be attenuating objects individually when using the ATT button or in individual settings without the G, so you would end up seeing only an A for the object when receiving or when selected.

In short:
(Nothing) - Global Attenuation Off, Attenuator Off.
G - Global Attenuation On, Attenuator Off.
GA - Global Attenuation On, Attenuator On (Global).
A - Global Attenuation Off, Attenuator On (Individual).

hth999

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. The user manual is not the best on this, especially for someone new to the hobby. Now I understand why I have not seen an " A " My options are " G " or " GA
So what is the " G " for? Why have it if It doesn't attenuate anything? Why not just push the ATTN button and the only option is " GA "? If you have " G " displayed and no objects are attenuated, I assume all you need to do is press the ATTN button for GA, and then all objects are attenuated. I've been into HF radio for years, but can't use them anymore because of RFI in my condo, especially neighbors Plazma TV's!!

Hal

Spitfire8520

For certain people, it can be useful to not use Global Attenuation and being selective about what is being attenuated due to local conditions. Since scanners cover a large number of frequencies, attenuating everything at once can be overkill.

An example would be monitoring an 700/800 MHz trunked system when near a cell phone tower. You may want to attenuate the trunked system, but would still like to listen to a weaker VHF/UHF signal that isn't being overloaded by the cell site. Another example would be a noisy VHF environment. Attenuating just the VHF will still allow full signal strength for a more distant signals in another band rather than wiping out the signal entirely with the attenuator.

The G basically allows you to use the scanner how you see fit. If you want to be selective and know what's overloading the receiver, then turning off the G would be your choice. On the other hand, if you're mobile and can't be bothered to go to each specific object to adjust the attenuation setting, then having the G on would be beneficial.

hth999

Thanks again, I got it. I think my scanner is suffering at times from overload, but I don't know where and from what site. So it sounds like having the " G " on will help with all the objects I have programmed. This should improve performance as well. Similar to listening to a Ham radio, most cases backing off the gain a little bit will improve signal to noise ratio.

I hope I'm on the right track.
Hal

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Overload is what they should rename my town. I've had the WS1080 since Sep2014. I'm pretty good with the Software now. I don't mess with the "attn" button ON the scanner as it deadens everything, I don't want that, just to attenuate the problem.
I attenuate the Trunked System itself using the "per site" setting on EZScan software and "attn" the Trunked SITE too. It works well. I also have several different V-scanner set-ups some sites attenuated, some not for when I travel. We discussed this fun HERE on this link about the Pro668 my photos of the set-up are there.
http://forums.radioreference.com/ar...o-668-not-receiving-rwc-much.html#post2360940

I have since added an FM-notch filter and Yagi 700/800 mhz antenna at home. Fixed all simulcast and overload issues, even phase II TDMA conversations on our Fireground talk-groups are perfect, no garbled or missing bits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spitfire8520

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm hesitant to agree that using the Global Attenuator will improve performance for everything programmed. It really depends on what you have programmed.

On my Pro-106, I have left the Global Attenuator since I am mobile a lot and change the settings back and forth a bit. Currently, most of the public safety around me is in VHF and I occasionally get intermod issues with nearby transmitters. I also listen to a State 700/800 MHz trunking system that everyone else uses and is further away. I can say that using GA is pretty detrimental for receiving the State system, but improves the local public safety.

A great resource that I overlooked that may be helpful for you is the Easier to Read WS1080/1095 Digital Scanner and EZ-Scan Software Manual. I have found these to explain many of the features and settings better than the user manual provided.

hth999

Johnnydollar2,

I looked in the EZ scan software. I see what you mean. I have 6 sites in all I can attenuate. I can also attenuate the Trunked site as well. I can see where to do this by clicking on the tab labeled " Trunked Radio Systems"
I believe my scanner is missing or skipping over because of overload. I may be wrong, but it's worth a shot in the EZ scan software. I'll make the changes and then upload to the radio. I'll se if it improves. If it does not, I can always switch back the settings. Thanks for the tip, it may just work.

Hal

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 Global attenuation-Pls explain

Sure thing. Hope it can help. I have 12 different V-scanner folders with an individual Tower SITE for each county I drive through. If reception sucks with un-attenuated settings due to whatever? I scroll quickly to V-Scanner on the scanner itself and load the attenuated SITE version I have set up ahead of time. I do have ONE V-scanner setting with all open SITES from our state-wide trunked System just for fun.

hth999

Johnnydollar2,

First of all thanks for your response, and suggestions. Here's what I did last night. I went into the EZ software, and attenuated the " Trunked Radio Systems " using " Per Site ". Then went down to the " Site Details " page and atten all 6 sites.
I also tried the data thresholds to 90-99, per your suggestion, but finally settled on 88-99. Small change but seems to work better.
The Scanlist I want to use has Fire / EMS, plus Sunstar Ambulance, and a handful of small police departments. It's a very active scanlist when working.
Well bottom line is I have been scanning this list for about 3 hours. I am getting consistent audio. 98% of the time perfect audio. I'm really happy with this, so again thank you, and thanks for providing that link.....big help! I also have other Scanlists that did work perfectly before, but these settings have opened the door so to speak for this Scanlist. Even though the sites are attenuated, I still get strong signals, getting 5 bars on every object or " hit " I know it's only a small sample and just one day, but I am on the right track due to your suggestions. Have a great day.
Hal

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 -Global attenuation-Pls explain

Glad we could help even this much. The reason I thought attenuation of the SITE itself might work is past experience with interference and Cell tower problems with my trunked P25 system using my old Pro96. The only way I could get it consistently where I am was to attenuate the actual Control Channel itself *photo of old Pro96 on control channel* the little "A" shows what I mean. It's like coming IN under the interference. It worked. Since we have no way to get at the control channel for these new WS1080 scanners on the road I saw "per site" attn on EZscan and figured it was close to the same thing. It works well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.