WS1088 and WS1098 new feature requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I want to start a thread where we can request new features. Now that we have a direct line to Whistler (WhistlerWendy) Marketing Manager.

1. I would like to see monitoring and control software.
2. scanner off timer
3. more than one limit search .
4. keys assigned to record & signal stalker
5. program LED red for record

radio3353

It's probably too late to suggest features for the 1088 and 1098 since they are scheduled for a November release. The design is done and they are probably in production.

However, this is useful for future models. So, my main request is to design circuitry that will solve the LSM issue. This is fast becoming a big problem with the new simulcast systems going up. All the features in the world are useless if your radio doesn't perform.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I'd like to see Signal Stalker & Limit Search included in the scan cycles, but more like the PSR-500 series where they are scannable objects than Uniden's approach of Search w/ Scan and Close Call running in the background.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987

Looks like you will get your wish since these new models are supposed to include a keypad.

Although, we have yet to see pictures, soooooo, as the saying goes...if there are no pictures, it doesn't exist. Hell, even Uniden had pics of the 436HP/536HP models available a couple months before their physical release date.

:)

afdscan

It's no doubt too late to request any new features since these radios are due out in November, however it would be nice to have the knob on top of the WS 1088 to control the volume instead of the squelch. I seldom adjust the squelch, but I change to volume all the time. Oh well, maybe it might happen someday.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
It's no doubt too late to request any new features since these radios are due out in November, however it would be nice to have the knob on top of the WS 1088 to control the volume instead of the squelch. I seldom adjust the squelch, but I change to volume all the time. Oh well, maybe it might happen someday.

It's not too late . GRE updated the PSR-800 with several firmware updates that gave us Scan Set , Flex Step and lets not forget Project 25 Phase 2 TDMA !

Whistler updated the WS1080 with direct frequency entry, option to change the SKIP button function to LOCKOUT, and added a few squelch settings options.

Boatanchor

'Soft' power down (standby) function for the mobile, with a programmable 'off' timer.

In other words, a separate ignition sense input wire on the DC lead that permits the scanner to be shut down (after a predetermined time) and powered up via the ignition source, without risk of corrupting the SD memory/OS.

Uniden had rocks in their head when the designed the 536HP power supply. I hope Whistler doesn't make the same mistake.

Why this has not been implemented in modern, high end mobile scanners is beyond belief. But then again, scanner manufacturers often seem to have blinkers on when they design these things.

My 2c..

Last edited:

Boatanchor

This would not be difficult to do. A simple firmware update could default the control to volume instead of squelch.

Much the same could have been done to the Uniden 396xt. It is very frustrating when you have to go through a key sequence just to change the volume level.

DJ11DLN

How about putting the CC signal strength while scanning back on the display? I find this very useful on the 500-series scanners. Many times I've noticed a quiet scanner and note low CC signal strength. Move the scanner or antenna a tad, full bars come back, and the scanner starts talking again. The 800 series only seems to display CC signal strength when holding on an idle TG...at least I can't figure out any other way to make it display.:confused:

DonS

afdscan said:
it would be nice to have the knob on top of the WS 1088 to control the volume instead of the squelch
This would not be difficult to do. A simple firmware update could default the control to volume instead of squelch.

It would be exceptionally difficult to do this in firmware, given that "the knob on top of the WS1088", like on the WS1080, PSR-800, etc. is a pot hardwired into the squelch circuit.

That is, it's not an "encoder" like the WS1095 (which can be set by the user to default to either volume or squelch).

Bearcatman911

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Everyone can stop requesting features on these two radios that are already in production...too late!!!!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Everyone can stop requesting features on these two radios that are already in production...too late!!!!

Yet another nonsensical statement.

Lots of feature changes, additions and tweaks can be made with firmware upgrades.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yet another nonsensical statement.

Lots of feature changes, additions and tweaks can be made with firmware upgrades.

Exactly. Stop saying changes "can't" be made. Only the hardware is unchangeable in the current production run. We're looking for firmware features that have been available in previous models with a keypad, which is now a hardware reality. Whistler has already shown that they are listening, even if the can't comment on an unreleased product.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
The more I look at the new 1098 the more I like, especially the removable head. I would like to see GPS enabled scanning like the 536. If it had that, I think I would sell my Uniden for this.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
It's probably too late to suggest features for the 1088 and 1098 since they are scheduled for a November release. The design is done and they are probably in production.

However, this is useful for future models. So, my main request is to design circuitry that will solve the LSM issue. This is fast becoming a big problem with the new simulcast systems going up. All the features in the world are useless if your radio doesn't perform.

Amen to that, radio3353!

Thanks for bringing up the LSM issue.

-Johnnie

Status
Not open for further replies.