WS1065: bad reception out off box

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I just received a brand new WS1065 and programmed it up as I did with my previous GRE's. I set the scanner up on the same table as other scanners. Where the other scanners picked up local traffic perfectly, the WS1065 did not pick up any traffic. (Yes, I have the proper frequency and PL programmed and squelch set appropriately).

I took the scanner with me to work where we operate a 800 TRS P25 system and within eyesight of the tower, the scanner showed no signal strength (yes the proper control channels are programed) but as soon as I plug my other scanner into the antenna, it decodes fine.

I'm assuming I just received a bad unit out of the box. Has anyone else had any issues with reception/decoding right out of the box with any of these Whistler units?

R

retiredmich

Does it show any thing in the display window ? or do you have the radio INABLED ?

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
It shows all the banks it has enabled and shows scanning. If it ever did pick anything up it read on the screen all the proper information. What is this "inable" option you're talking about?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Sounds like the definition of a defective unit, especially if you're flooding it with RF and it's not showing any signs of life.

I don't specifically have the WS1065, but I have the related Pro-652 and it certainly does as well as my older Pro-106. Then again, I'm comparing it to a portable scanner so I could be missing something.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I have two of the GRE PSR-600's and a PSR-500 and they work fine.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
So, I sent the bad unit back and got another one and it's doing the exact same thing. I have it sitting with a group of scanners and have the same channels programmed in them. The other scanners are receiving channels at full strength, clear audio, but this scanner has a 2-5 second delay for even detecting traffic on the frequency and when it does detect it it's barely 1 bar or just the S showing and horrible audio (static). Am I missing something obvious? I went through the Easy to read scanner manual like I did with my other scanners and adjusted the settings (after I did a fresh programming) to see if it made a difference - nothing. I even upgraded the firmware - nothing.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I'm scanning conventional channels, a combination of PL'd and open carrier frequencies. The one P25 800 TRS system I am scanning is Centre County 800 TRS. I work at Centre County and have a PSR500 that scans the system without any issue, as soon as this scanner is hooked up to the same power supply and antenna, it doesn't even show the S for any signal. When you analyze the system (within eyeshot of the tower) it does not even decode the system or show any signal strength.

bigcam406

how did you program the 1065? did you clone it off of the 500 or did you program it by computer or by hand? make sure the trunk system type is set to "P25 AUTO".

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I did both. Cloned from previous and fresh programming. P25 auto was already there. Again, this isn't my first time with a GRE type scanner. I was just verifying whistler didn't change something when they took over from GRE.

cpetraglia

I have had mine for a few months now and it has always showed worse reception than both my PSR600s. This is when scanning a control channel. When it hits on a live frequency it seems to receive OK. I have always suspected something off about this scanner. I was a little disappointed as it should be identical to a PSR600.

bigcam406

i cant see it being 2 bad scanners in a row.maybe try a different antenna as,im thinking you might be suffering from front end overload.also make sure your attentuator setting is on global.im stumped as well.wish i could help you.if i think of anything else i'll post it here.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
It's not front end overload. The conventional systems in monitoring aren't within eyeshot. The other scanners pick them up crystal clear. I've done everything from turned attenuator on/off, adjusted the squelch, different antennas, used the antenna that came with it on another scanner, etc.

The antenna from the new scanner worked perfectly on other scanners so it's not the antenna.

The scanner didn't pick any traffic up unless the squelch was almost "frying". Same with the first one.

Nasby

Try some NOAA Weather channels and see what kind of reception you get as compared to the other scanners you have.

u2brent

OAMPT
Where did you purchase the radio from? It sounds like 2 duds in row to me..

You already mentioned Global ATT was off. What else could it be?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I'd be curious to know where you bought them, too. With all that antenna switching, reprogramming, and option changing, it sounds like two duds in a row to me. If so, that's a tad concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.