Frederick County MD reception issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvtheravens

Premium Subscriber
Thanks in advance if anyone can help. So I have gotten a new Whistler WS1080 and really enjoy it in the general Frederick city area. I live north in Thurmont and as soon as I get about to Resthaven on 15 I loose all reception. Now doing my research I seem to understand that the cell tower in my neighborhood is causing the too much signal for the radio to handle but I don't understand the rest of the ride. Does anyone have this same issue or have a way to correct it. I read that I might need a band filter but not ready to spend the $50.00 dollars if it wont help. Thanks in advance.

SCPD

QRT
This is a common issue when you get those radios near cell sites .. quick (and free) fix, turn on your attenuation when you are near by them. That should likely fix the problem, but of course you want to turn it off when you are more than a short distance from it.

You will see the 'A' on the display when it is turned on.

wmbio

Fred county is a multi site LSM system! All scanners have trouble receiving this type system. Nothing new. It has been well discussed in the MD forums.

Enjoy
Wmbio

luvtheravens

Premium Subscriber
Thanks...the attenuation does not work..tried months ago. The LSM issue is noted and understood. I get it real good inThe city but not outside and hoped a FM trap would help and asked what others thought. I appreciate the responses.

troymail

Silent Key
Best things to try (from my experience):

- unless you need it, lock out the Brunswick site
- alternatively, program the simulcast/main site as one system and the Brunswick site as a separate system
- in either case, lock out or remove all but the control channel frequency for each site

After that - you'll want to try and find a spot to "park" your radio where you get good reception. This can be frustrating but it will pay off. The way I do it is to PAUSE on a talkgroup that isn't active and look at the signal bars and flashing 'T. SLOWLY move the radio around to different locations looking for 5 bars of reception and a more or less solid 'T'. When you find that location, try scanning and see what happens. You may need to try this several times until you find a good spot. Adjustments in fining that spot could be as little as sliding the radio in any direction by an inch or two.

luvtheravens

Premium Subscriber
troymail
Thank you so much for the help. I did not sleep much last night as i was able to locate one small area in my room that can pick up the signal. the trick with getting solid bars worked great. Of course there was some garbled messages i was actually to get alot and since I had nothing before I was thrilled. Still sucks on drive up 15 but that is a short period. Any other hints willbe appreciated..I owe you a beer at least.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.