1098 First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Guess What? Yep, got one of those 1098's also. If you saw my first impression for the 1088 then you won't be surprised to know that I purchased the Ws 1098 also.

Ilike it. It has the same feature set as the Ws 1095 only with the keypad ability to drill down into the database and allow you to make changes to the objects you have in memory or add to the existing scanlist. A much better option to the 1095, IMHO. Just get the 1098 and let Whistler retire the 1095 is my idea.

Sounds and works the same as my Ws 1095 with the exception to the keypad abilities.

Hopefully we will see some additional features added in the near future, Whistler?!? :roll:

Best remote head scanner available. And the only remote head scanner besides the WS 1095. In it's class, the best.

Reception is equal to the BC596HP and Ws 1095. Decode for P25 equal, conventional reception about equal in all bands.

Sadly, about the same as the previous model with only a new keypad. :evil:

Merry Christmas, and happy holiday scanning to all!

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
The reception on the 536 is not all that great so giving it a equal to is not saying a lot. On a 700 or 800 MHz system the PSR-600 is far better than the 536. I would hope for a equal to or better than the 600.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The reception on the 536 is not all that great so giving it a equal to is not saying a lot. On a 700 or 800 MHz system the PSR-600 is far better than the 536. I would hope for a equal to or better than the 600.

Understood. My PSR-600 is also hot. My BC780XLT is really hot, my BC536HP is equal to my WS1098 on my local conventional and trunked P25 systems. As in equal reception, and equal decode, IMHO. :wink:

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
I own 436 536 996p2 668 106 197 18 and my x36s out hear my gre built whistler built scanners

I own all of the same. On the portables what antenna do you use for 700/800 MHz systems? I run the RS800. The 436 doesn't hear anywhere near as good as the 500. The 1088 is slightly better than the 436. All my comparisons are done on with the RS800 from the same location on my desk on multiple 700/800 systems.

The 436 is better built, nicer screen, better sound (not considering decode, just audio quality), nicer keypad, more software options, more trunking options...... But it does not hear as well as the 500 ot 1088.

As with anything your mileage may vary.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
RS 800 seems to be the best, as I've pointed out many a time, and I also use it on the BC436HP as well.

It is equal to the 1088 and less than the 500 here. I just want the P25 version of the 500... sigh...

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Any information on how this news scanner performs scanning a P25 Phase II simulcast system?

Ed6698

Any information on how this news scanner performs scanning a P25 Phase II simulcast system?

I would think it would be no different then the 1095. If someone has a 1095 that works good in a area, the 1098 will probably be exactly the same. My 1095 works fantastic on a 700mhz P25 Phase II simulcast, if I got a 1098 it most likely would be the same.

zzzhopperzzz

I'm, also, anxiously, awaiting comparison results.. 536hp or ws1098? I live in a "P25 II" area... I have been watching and waiting for over a year, now.. I've been a loyal Uniden fan most of my life of 50+ years, but have been cautious on my next/upcoming purchase because of the quality issues with the 536... Is the pro-voice addition to Uniden coming at a "convenient" time?? And will it be a standard feature on the later 536 radios?.. I hope the quality control on the Uniden line is not becoming a habit.. You can make excuses for a lot of things, quality is NOT one of them...

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I own all of the same. On the portables what antenna do you use for 700/800 MHz systems? I run the RS800. The 436 doesn't hear anywhere near as good as the 500. The 1088 is slightly better than the 436. All my comparisons are done on with the RS800 from the same location on my desk on multiple 700/800 systems.

The 436 is better built, nicer screen, better sound (not considering decode, just audio quality), nicer keypad, more software options, more trunking options...... But it does not hear as well as the 500 ot 1088.

As with anything your mileage may vary.

Handheld RS800 when not in the car
Mobile Maxscan B1000's when in the car
Base ST2 and or a Discone on a 8 port combiner

SCPD

QRT
I'm, also, anxiously, awaiting comparison results.. 536hp or ws1098? I live in a "P25 II" area... I have been watching and waiting for over a year, now.. I've been a loyal Uniden fan most of my life of 50+ years, but have been cautious on my next/upcoming purchase because of the quality issues with the 536... Is the pro-voice addition to Uniden coming at a "convenient" time?? And will it be a standard feature on the later 536 radios?.. I hope the quality control on the Uniden line is not becoming a habit.. You can make excuses for a lot of things, quality is NOT one of them...

I don't know why you are waiting .... it is the same radio internally as the 1095. So .. there is your answer.

The only difference of the 1088 and 1098 is the keyboard (and subsequent options that allows you now), the internal parts .. identical. This was confirmed a while ago.

So .. really you have to determine if the issues of these scanners will be an issue for you or not. And that mostly means testing how your older radios (ie 1095 / 1080) perform in your location.

zzzhopperzzz

25 PII reception,,,, in general...

It seems that Uniden and Whistler are not always totally "predictable".... The recent addition of Pro-Voice, which "is" used just South of me, throws another wrench in the spokes of the decision.. I'm hesitant to throw money at a low-quality unit though.... In your honest opinion, which unit receives P25 PII best? I live "in" the city limits.. Which has the better software? I have two towers, so I'm not concerned with antenna choices.. I'm split...

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
It seems that Uniden and Whistler are not always totally "predictable".... The recent addition of Pro-Voice, which "is" used just South of me, throws another wrench in the spokes of the decision.. I'm hesitant to throw money at a low-quality unit though.... In your honest opinion, which unit receives P25 PII best? I live "in" the city limits.. Which has the better software? I have two towers, so I'm not concerned with antenna choices.. I'm split...

For me the 1088 works better on a P2 system than a 436. I've come to that conclusion doing side by sides over the last 4 days. That may change as I experiment with other systems.

As for software, I am a Butel junkie. Not having it with the 1088/98 is a draw back. I don't really care for the Whisler flavor of software but also don't have the time in it that I do Butel. My first Butel software purchase was about 15+ years ago when I got my first 8200.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
For me the 1088 works better on a P2 system than a 436. I've come to that conclusion doing side by sides over the last 4 days. That may change as I experiment with other systems.

Are you monitoring a P25 Phase II simulcast system?

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Really stupid question here, guys... Would the 1098 be able to take an upgrade later to hear NXDN digtial modulation? I listen to a little public service but I'm very interested in the remote mount control head and the ability to eventually hear the NXDN modulation the railroads will eventually move to...

zzzhopperzzz

As for software, I am a Butel junkie. Not having it with the 1088/98 is a draw back. I don't really care for the Whisler flavor of software but also don't have the time in it that I do Butel. My first Butel software purchase was about 15+ years ago when I got my first 8200.
Thanks, freqhunter! I had made my mind up to purchase the 1098,, then Uniden, conveniently, added the Pro-Voice option, at a price I might add... Strange how that "provoice" option popped up right before the Whistler release... lol . I was hopeful that the new Whistler units might have a bit more advanced circuitry chips, being they are "recent".. We all know how fast the electronics world advances... Usually the later stuff, comparing 1095 vrs 1098, will have circuits that perform a little better/faster.. (like computers)... The keypad feature is, surely, a step up... I'm wondering if Whistler could add pro-voice to their software? Soon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.