WS1080: Formating a new SD Card for 1088

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearken

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody know why a SD Card would not be recognize by the Whistler program but would be recognize by Windows 10? I am trying to use a 16GB SD card so it could be formatted but I want to use on the new WS1088 I received the other day, but the Whistler program does not see it, but Windows 10 sees it. I record a lot of conversation but I hate to use the 4gb card they supply. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

n5ims

There are several formats that Windows will recognize on an SD card, but only a few recognized by the scanner. You must pick the correct one so both the computer and the scanner will recognize it. If you read the first line on the window it clearly states that a specific data format must be used. If you use the scanner software's format function, it will only allow you to format the SD card using a compatible format. If you format it using Windows, it's up to you to select the correct one.

This is especially important with the larger capacity cards. The valid formats are FAT (for smaller cards) and FAT32 (for larger cards).

DJ11DLN

There's a known issue with the formatting utility in the EZScan software, and simply using Windows to format the cards doesn't always work for some reason. A lot of people have gotten a lot of issues fixed by using the SD Formatter utility, you might want to give it a try. FAT32 should be the correct format for your 16 GB card.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Ed6698

There's a known issue with the formatting utility in the EZScan software, and simply using Windows to format the cards doesn't always work for some reason. A lot of people have gotten a lot of issues fixed by using the SD Formatter utility, you might want to give it a try. FAT32 should be the correct format for your 16 GB card.

I have been using EZScan for over a year and don't recall ever having encountered any issue with the programs or SD cards. I have used 2GB SD cards all the way up to 32GB, several different kinds also, currently using a new 8GB in both scanners. I think most people are causing the issues to themselves one way or another. Not properly plugging and/or unplugging it. I still test my radios every so often without a SD card reader and hooking directly to computer via USB to format and update.

Ed6698

Does anybody know why a SD Card would not be recognize by the Whistler program but would be recognize by Windows 10? I am trying to use a 16GB SD card so it could be formatted but I want to use on the new WS1088 I received the other day, but the Whistler program does not see it, but Windows 10 sees it. I record a lot of conversation but I hate to use the 4gb card they supply. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Look at this.

http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/317662-whistler-scanners-windows-10-a.html

mikey60

That issue is actually in Windows. There are cases where Windows will not properly format a SD card.

The EZScan software just calls the format command with the correct settings for the size card you are using. It doesn't do the actual formatting of the card itself.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.