WS1088 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheld18

Feed Provider
Good evening all

I'm on the fence of purchasing a WS1088 scanner. I currently have a PSR-500. Besides the phase 2 capabilities, the USB connection, and the additional scan lists, are there any more added benefits to the WS1088?

Thanks,

Craig

W3DMV

I have 2-1088's and have had no problems. I use them on a P25, phase-2 system and
they work well.
Some guys complain about them being older technology but the design has worked well.
I also have an old PSR-800 with a zillion hours of air time and it has never caused me
any problems. The 1088 has a full key pad but after having both models, I really
find very limited use for the key pad on the newer models. There is so many functions
and other items to program now days, it is a chore not using a computer to enter
the information....
I don't think anything has been added to the scanner. Just a working basic unit
that does not have a load of bells and whistles but does receive signals !
Good luck with your decision.....

Ed6698

I myself went from a using a PSR500 all the time to a WS1080, I held off on getting 1080 right away, got it several months before the changeover, as my area did not have a Phase II system at the time. Now I use my 1080 and 1095 all the time, they work excellent in my location with P25 Phase II. If you want a radio for listening to, and really no bells and whistles, the WS1080 and 1095 are good radios. Never really used the location DB much, I have my scanner programed the way I want them. I want a scanner for listening to and that's all, don't need bells and whistles. If you want to listen to P25 Phase II the 1080, 1088,1095 or 1098 would be needed. Also depends if you want a scanner with a keypad or not. I like not having the traditional keypad on a scanner like the 1080 and 1095.

Last edited:

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I have a question about the 1088. When you toggle scanlists in and out using the keypad, does it happen quickly/instantly like the PSR500 or do you have to wait for it to consult the SD card and stall you like the PSR800?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
There is a posting a couple threads down on this major thread that says the "audio" is very poor on the 1080 H/H would you say this is true....TY

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I have a question about the 1088. When you toggle scanlists in and out using the keypad, does it happen quickly/instantly like the PSR500 or do you have to wait for it to consult the SD card and stall you like the PSR800?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

I have the 1098. When you disable scan lists via the keypad, there is a pause while the radio "prepares" the scan lists. Still much better than doing it via the menu IMHO.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, I've deleted a few posts that didn't have much to do with this thread.

Carry on...

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I agree...MUCH better than the menu system. I do a lot of searching with my 500's and 600 clones, and have hoped that the 1088/1098 might be made similarly nimble.

Another question. Does the EZscan software for the newer radios still omit the frequency when you view the contents of the scanlists?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

mrkim

Premium Subscriber
I'm not happy with the 1088. The speaker is not loud enough and I can't hardly see the display even at max. contrast. Other than that the radio itself works great..........

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I'm not happy with the 1088. The speaker is not loud enough and I can't hardly see the display even at max. contrast. Other than that the radio itself works great..........

Sell it and buy a BCx36HP model or purchase a amplified speaker. :twisted:

trunker

Good evening all

I'm on the fence of purchasing a WS1088 scanner. I currently have a PSR-500. Besides the phase 2 capabilities, the USB connection, and the additional scan lists, are there any more added benefits to the WS1088?

Thanks,

Craig
The 500 still has the Multi-site Roam and Stat settings if you do a lot of site tracking. Hit counts, Analyze, Tune, and better Expert settings but the 1088 has more memory, scan sets, recording, whole database on the card, and location based scanning i.e zip code entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.