WS1095: WS 1095 scanning Bucks County PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

chetp

Premium Subscriber
Where I live in Bucks county, receiving Bucks Phase II simulcast is horrible. I tried all of the hints and tips, but it's still not good at all. Anyone having any luck?

W3DMV

Every receiver I have has been ruff on multi tower sites.
Don't know how close you are to the nearest tower and what you are
using for a antenna but I use a paper clip for my antenna and that works
real well. Try a very small antenna and see if you still show "T" on the display. Small
antennas reduce signals from sites further away and help reduce the problem.

Good luck..

radio3353

Join the crowd.

Can you give us some more details? What radio? Are you using it base or mobile? What is your antenna setup? (may need a yagi for base) What is your location? (important to understand your location relative to the towers since this is a simulcast system) Have you tried different locations in your home? (don't laugh, this has been the solution for some people)

It really is all about your location relative to the system's towers. Some people have no problems, others will never receive it reliably.

There is a long thread in the Pennsylvania forum regarding the Bucks system if you can find it. Good reading and good luck.

chetp

Premium Subscriber
Radios are BCD996PA and WS 1095. Located 5 miles West of West Rockhill tower, 5 miles SW of Milford tower, and 6 miles S of Haycock tower in Bucks county) Tried indoor antennas (even short piece of wire) Yagi outside with rotor) not good either (antenna has too many side lobes) If I stand on one foot on the third step in my foyer....I can receive 10-20%. Even that requires morning threshold or DSP adapt change from evening.
It's not at all what I expected. Been scanning and ham radio for many years.

radio3353

Looks like you have covered many of the variables. You are in a tough spot - equidistant from 3 towers. Probably the worst scenario. The only solution may be a commercial radio if you are up for it. Sorry.

DickH

... Yagi outside with rotor) not good either (antenna has too many side lobes) ....

Try standing on your other foot. :) Just kidding.
Seriously, if the Yagi is cut for the right freq., adding more elements might help.

kb8rvp

WS1095: WS 1095 scanning Bucks County PA

Simulcast has also been the hardest thing for many to find good reception. If you're real close to just one tower any scanner will do but if you're in the middle of a few towers it can be a disaster for reception... I tried every scanner and antenna combination on the market for my mobile setup and found that when the Uniden BCD436 and 536HP came out it solved my simulcast issues. You just have to keep trying and if you have a scanner group in your area or read the RR state forum to see what others are using for the same system. Scanners aren't cheep but just keep trying and buying and selling scanners until you find the best setup. I use the 436HP with the Radio Shack 800MHz rubber duck antenna in the car with the scanner in the cup holder and it works great with no outside antenna. I have also use the 536HP in the car with a low profile 800MHz mag mount antenna with very good results on my local simulcast system.

Good luck.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Sometimes less is more. There are nine towers on the P25 Phase 1 simulcast system here in Macomb County, Michigan. I know it's Phase 1, not 2, but that shouldn't matter. I tried yagi antennas, corner reflector antennas, you name it. What I found worked best was the tiny Comet CH-32 - Mini Miracle Baby! Because of it's small size, and less efficiency, It had a slight nulling effect on some of the other more distant towers, and wasn't so overwhelmed by multipath signals.

Or, you could just try a paper clip!

Comet CH-32 - Mini Miracle Baby
Comet CH-32 - Mini Miracle Baby Ham Radio HT Antenna - 2M 440 900 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.