Whistler DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Personally, I think the Whistler reception and decoding is outstanding... not only that, but it is also very easy to program a get things up and running - a combination of having programming software delivered with the firmware along with very simple programming.

I want to assume that there is less chatter in the forums because it's working, easier to program, and people have less to discuss and/or complain about ... but there are probably other reasons as well...

My (twice) upgraded 436 isn't even enabled for DMR at the moment -- it's not worth the trouble given the reception I'm getting on the 1088.

Ed6698

Works fine for me and the audio is fantastic. Granted I don't have much DMR in my location that I know of, so DMR is not really any importance to me.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler DMR?

I upgraded my WS1080 and already found 2 DMR systems nearby with the help of the RRef database. One school district about 10 miles away comes in really well with the Diamond RH77CA and the RS800mhz. Same for #2 system for United Airlines at O'hare Airport in Chicago. *#1 system is incomplete in the RRef database. They said only 4 freqs known for #1 so use #2 which comes in pretty well as I'm 14 miles NW of O'hare. Comes in even better at night. I have recordings of it but there are already several YOUTUBE videos under the WS1080/DMR heading search box. Those should give you a good idea what to expect. Thanks to Whistler for a free upgrade. Working fine.

VancouverScan

My 1080 update went flawlessly, DMR reception in my area is great. One thing though, after the update I now see an "S" in a black box, identical to the "T" while scanning, anyone know what that indicates.

mrkelso

I have several DMR in my area but all i am hear is data chirps and CW. These are amateur repeaters. What did i do wrong in programing?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I just used the "IMPORT" tab in EZScan using the County selection instead of STATE. My DMR systems were in there with frequencies in order and function properly after uploaded to the scanner/microsd card. Got em from the RRef database basically.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
My 1080 update went flawlessly, DMR reception in my area is great. One thing though, after the update I now see an "S" in a black box, identical to the "T" while scanning, anyone know what that indicates.

I suspect "S" is data signal. "T" trunked data as usual.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I have several DMR in my area but all i am hear is data chirps and CW. These are amateur repeaters. What did i do wrong in programing?

Are you using conventional programming or trunked? If conventional, make sure to set the digital flag for mode to avoid the chirps. If the repeater is active with a ham QSO, you should hear decoded voice. Did you program using EZScan or by hand?

VancouverScan

I suspect "S" is data signal. "T" trunked data as usual.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I have a new yagi antenna and don't know which way to point it, I was trying to use the "T" as steady as possible for guidance but now not sure if I should also consider the "S" as a priority over the T.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
This is my take on the new "S":

First off, I immediately noticed a white "S" along with the control channel "T". I am going to take a guess that the "S" means the control channel frequency broke the squelch, but there is not yet digital decode. I notice the "S" preempts the "T"; turn your squelch up some and you can see this better. Note: This is not the same S as the old squelch S. Does this sound right you you? I suppose the new icon would be useful for establishing if you found a control channel but either couldn't decode or you have the wrong system type.

AtlasFBG2

On my 1095 i am just using a wildcard to listen and record everything to figure out who they are.

Some things dont match the database in my area. All that is in my area is business and schools so far.

Voice and reception is great. The dmr update is working good for me.

mrkelso

Are you using conventional programming or trunked? If conventional, make sure to set the digital flag for mode to avoid the chirps. If the repeater is active with a ham QSO, you should hear decoded voice. Did you program using EZScan or by hand?

I programmed using EZscan i set the Digital flags and now i can hear the repeaters CW ID perfectly. I'll just have to wait for a QSO to know for sure.

gordonbrittas

i managed to program five Mototrbo channels so far and audio is 10/10.Admittedly i hooked up the scanner to the pc and got the TG details that way via DSDplus which was easier for me being new to using scanners.

One question is if i put in each individual radio number and add the frequency with this would that be more beneficial to me?Are the exact details better than a wildcard?

Also DSDplus says one frequency is encrypted which is the one with garbled voice but the scanner does not show E on the screen.Could it be Basic enhanced privacy rather than full encryption.

Last edited:

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I have heard both scanners already and the Whistler scanner has a lot better audio and tracks the Time Slots better than the Uniden scanners......

On the TRX-1 & 2 at Dayton or the current Ws-1080 firmware? I'm not seeing that here on my OFT or CAP plus sites.

Jimbo695

whister DMR Upgrade in a RS Pro-18 ??

Anyone have any idea if the Whistler DMR upgrade will work in a Radio Shack Pro 18? Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Pretty sure the answer is no. There is another thread in the RS forum about someone who has asked RS about DMR updates for their scanners - please post there, as asking about RS here is off topic

Thanks for your future cooperation...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.