1080 dmr squelch setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star56

Premium Subscriber
Folks,

I am using the 1080 to listen to DMR sites. I have read the threads regarding the S display and I am a bit confused on how to set the squelch for DMR. Should it simply be set wide open or a bit dialed up (25%?)

Thanks!

T

TAbirdman

try it with the squelch at the normal 9:00 position and if your not getting much traffic, then make it wide open. It all depends on your location.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
If you are monitoring trunked systems only, leave the squelch all the way down/open. That provides the most consistent control channel data decode. Otherwise, with the squelch up, the radio continually starts and stops the signal to the DSP (or at least something along those lines).

If you're scanning conventional traffic too, the squelch open trick won't work.

By the way, due to how Whistler did DMR, a conventional DMR channel actually counts as a trunked system, so leave the squelch open.

It's pretty easy to see how this works, as you raise the squelch you will see less of the "T".

Star56

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Guys! Been playing around this afternoon and wide open with DMR seems to work best. I am impressed with how nice local DMR systems sound. This has opened up a whole new window of scanning. I am hearing stuff that I would not have dreamed of ever hearing.

Tom

DonS

Set the squelch so that when a voice channel is active, squelch opens (non-inverted 'S' icon at extreme top left of LCD).

Setting the squelch so that it's open all the time has no benefit on the Whistler scanners. It only slows things down.

• You'll only see the inverted 'T' icon when there is an active DMR signal on the frequency and the scanner is decoding data.
  • You only want to see the non-inverted 'S' icon (to the left of the signal bars) when there is an active DMR signal
  • You want to minimize the time you see the inverted 'S' icon. Turning the squelch knob fully counterclockwise will maximize this time; that's bad - it slows things down.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Setting the squelch so that it's open all the time has no benefit on the Whistler scanners. It only slows things down.

• You want to minimize the time you see the inverted 'S' icon. Turning the squelch knob fully counterclockwise will maximize this time; that's bad - it slows things down.

This has not been my experience.

With squelch all the way down, I have the greatest percentage of "T" time. With the squelch all the way down, I have greatest percentage of T:S time, compared with higher squelch levels. With the squelch all the way down, I catch the beginnings of calls and have the best chance at consistent voice decode. With the squelch all the way down, the scanner generally works better, even while scanning multiple trunked systems.

I'd be interested in more developed reasoning why my experience might be invalid.

DonS

The inverted 'S' icon means that RF squelch opened, the scanner is expecting data, but no data has been received. It applies to DMR and LTR systems. It was intended to tell the user that he needs to adjust the squelch; you want to minimize the time you see the inverted 'S' icon.

In the case of DMR:
  • Tune to frequency
  • Wait for RF squelch
  • Turn on inverted 'S' icon
  • Wait for DMR sync. If timeout, start over with new frequency.
  • Wait for DMR data. If timeout, start over with new frequency
  • Turn on inverted 'T' icon
  • Decode DMR data until 1) interesting voice traffic found, 2) DMR sync lost, or 3) dwell time expires. If (2) or (3), start over with new frequency.
The time in "Wait for DMR sync" is non-zero. If the scanner is waiting for DMR sync merely because the user turned the squelch knob fully counterclockwise (and not because it's actually an active DMR frequency), the scanner is spending time waiting for something that will never appear - time that could be spent checking other frequencies.

If you have 10 frequencies programmed, the scanner is currently on #2, and interesting voice traffic appears on #1, you have to wait for the scanner to go through the timeouts on frequencies #2-#10 before it will get back around to #1.

If you only have one frequency programmed in a DMR system and that system is the only thing you're scanning, then turning the squelch knob fully counterclockwise (so that you always see the inverted 'S' icon) is benign. It may actually help, since the scanner will be "camped" on that one frequency for a larger percentage of the time.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Glad to know that my guess at the new addition was spot on.

I see what you mean now: for conventional DMR, the squelch open slows things down. Of course, that's why I initially mentioned that the squelch open won't work for conventional traffic.

For trunked systems, however, the squelch open helps substantially. I can send you some videos to document this if you want.

adcockfred

Ok now I see now what Aggie conn was getting troubled about. My cap+ system aka mattress mac. Ran so go I didn't have a problem. Just 2 frequencie. My con+ system with more voice frequencies really only carries most of its voice traffic on alternate cc and one voice channel. I really don't have any problem and voice is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.