RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 3:57 PM
darunimal

TRX-1 - The RadioReference Wiki
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2016, 11:16 AM

Default EZScan port #

Hi Whistler folks,

Could you please change the port # the EZ Scan uses for updates to port 80?

I use the software in several different locations and one of the ISP's blocks all ports except 80, thus I can't download updates or the RR DB.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:43 AM

Nevermind, you are using port 80, but you are using godaddy domain. My ISP blocks less than desirable web hosting sites (like godaddy).

Request:
http://scanner-update.com/TRX-1/public/versions.php
Old 07-09-2016, 6:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So where is the software? Is it some super secret that only owners can use?

I'm not buying one till I can see what the software is like.
Old 07-09-2016, 6:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbigcount View Post

On the Whistler web site?

TRX-1 Downloads

WS-1080 PSR-500 BCD436HP BCD396XT BCD396T FRG-100 PRO-43 PRO-90 PRO-2050 FT-857 FT-90 VX-170 VX-3
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2016, 6:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbigcount View Post

No secret at all....

Just download it from the Whistler site.

https://www.whistlergroup.com/usa/updates/

Old 07-11-2016, 12:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W6KRU View Post
On the Whistler web site?

TRX-1 Downloads

It wasn't when i posted that, nothing but an error,
Old 07-14-2016, 3:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by darunimal View Post
Does anyone know if the TRX 1 or TRX 2 have a narrow band filter in it when selecting NFM signals, similar to the 436 HP? 5 KHz Deviation versus 2.5 KHz Deviation? UHF or VHF narrowband channels?

Skip
Old 07-15-2016, 4:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

One other question:

I got an email from prcguy and he is using his TRX 1 on a trip. He used the zipcode function for inputting systems in his area. He commented the TRX 1 put in hundreds of channels. He assumed that this was due to the mileage circle around the zip code location. Is there a way to determine the size of the area around a zipcode to determine how large a group of channels to import?

Skip
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2016, 4:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes by make the area smaller and by turning off services you do not want to hear.
Old 07-15-2016, 4:28 PM

Im learning a bit more about the TRX-1 and I nuked the memory and loaded in only the items I wanted from the memory card library. Much better now! It will load all the freqs for a particular PD, FD, etc you want, then you simply edit the list and lock out the ones your not interested in.

The menu structure takes a little getting used to and its frustrating at first. I will browse the library for the US, then state, then county/city, then you have a choice of agencies, categories or systems. If you pick one and its not what you wanted, there is a back button from the menu but it doesn't get you back to select what you really wanted and you have to start all over again. I do not have the update from a few days ago, does anyone know if the back button goes back further with the latest update?

Otherwise analog FM, P25 and DMR are sounding great a little north of Boston on my travels this week.
prcguy

Edit:
I found the back arrow will back out of the menu I selected by accident and get things going the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandbiker1 View Post
One other question:

I got an email from prcguy and he is using his TRX 1 on a trip. He used the zipcode function for inputting systems in his area. He commented the TRX 1 put in hundreds of channels. He assumed that this was due to the mileage circle around the zip code location. Is there a way to determine the size of the area around a zipcode to determine how large a group of channels to import?

Skip

Last edited by prcguy; 07-15-2016 at 4:44 PM..
Old 07-15-2016, 7:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Like TRX-1 but battery life seems poor. Running LCD only at lowest level with record off and only maybe 4 hours on 2500 ma Eneloops. Seems to eat batteries like crazy. I am using an external power pack now while away from home. Any other comments about battery life? Am I missing something. My WS1080 seems to have much better battery life with similar settings. Otherwise, I like this scanner. Great P25 and DMR audio.
Old 07-15-2016, 7:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshermanmd View Post
Like TRX-1 but battery life seems poor. Running LCD only at lowest level with record off and only maybe 4 hours on 2500 ma Eneloops. Seems to eat batteries like crazy. I am using an external power pack now while away from home. Any other comments about battery life? Am I missing something. My WS1080 seems to have much better battery life with similar settings. Otherwise, I like this scanner. Great P25 and DMR audio.
I got some fairly new PowerEx batteries on mine and they usually last me all day or about 8 hours average.
Old 07-15-2016, 8:25 PM

I'm getting about 4hrs at the most from Eneloops but I'm also charging them inside the radio. I think they lasted longer charging them outside in a dedicated charger. I usually leave them charging in the radio overnight but don't get any indication of a completed charge on the TRX-1 display.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshermanmd View Post
Old 07-16-2016, 1:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Been charging mine outside in dedicated Maha charger. May try some PowerEx batteries. Meanwhile, the Power Pack thing works out well. That is one reason why I know prefer scanners that use a USB power source rather than traditional wall wart like for the PRO-106 or BCD-396XT. Allows me to use these Power Packs and run the handhelds for a lot longer. If using while walking, then just use the battery.
Thanks for responses.
Steve AA6IO
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2016, 9:11 AM

I went for a walk with my TRX-1 while on travel and got detained by 2 cop cars for about 20min. They kept asking what I was carrying and I said it was my ham radio while turning down the volume so they could not hear themselves running my info.

They said someone called in about about a person carrying something suspicous. Funny, I passed several other people on my walk with cell phones and earbuds and they didn't get hassled. Next time I'll keep it in my pocket and use earphones.
prcguy
Old 07-16-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
I went for a walk with my TRX-1 while on travel and got detained by 2 cop cars for about 20min. They kept asking what I was carrying and I said it was my ham radio while turning down the volume so they could not hear themselves running my info.

They said someone called in about about a person carrying something suspicous. Funny, I passed several other people on my walk with cell phones and earbuds and they didn't get hassled. Next time I'll keep it in my pocket and use earphones.
prcguy
Given the current events of the past few weeks, I am not surprised you looked suspicious to somebody. Scanners and cell phones do not look alike. Everybody knows what a cell phone looks like. Not so for a device the size of a scanner with an antenna sticking out of it. Use common sense (and don't lie to the police. Once they catch you in a lie, you are done.)
Old 07-16-2016, 1:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What state?
QUOTE=prcguy;2609926]I went for a walk with my TRX-1 while on travel and got detained by 2 cop cars for about 20min. They kept asking what I was carrying and I said it was my ham radio while turning down the volume so they could not hear themselves running my info.

prcguy[/QUOTE]
Old 07-16-2016, 1:52 PM

Sounds like bordering on harassment. A report of carrying "something" suspicious? Carrying a book these days is almost suspicious, who reads those anymore? I don't understand why you thought telling them it was a Ham radio was a good idea and any less 'suspicious' than a scanner. I'd say you behaved suspiciously, but not enough to be hauled in. This all sounds suspicious as does the need to remove one's shoes at the airport... the world needs help.
Old 07-16-2016, 1:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Example here in INDIANA state law against mobile scanner or carry scanner UNLESS ham radio lic among other exemptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp-100 View Post
Sounds like bordering on harassment. A report of carrying "something" suspicious? Carrying a book these days is almost suspicious, who reads those anymore? I don't understand why you thought telling them it was a Ham radio was a good idea and any less 'suspicious' than a scanner. I'd say you behaved suspiciously, but not enough to be hauled in. This all sounds suspicious as does the need to remove one's shoes at the airport... the world needs help.