RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 2:46 PM

The cops were just doing their job for the most part and obviously had no clue what the TRX-1 was. I like that it doesn't say "Police Scanner" anywhere on the unit. For most of my walk I was searching the amateur bands and had that ready to show them in case they asked more about the radio. If I had said its a police scanner and I can hear everything you say, it would have held me up longer for sure.

The police said there was a report of someone carrying a suspicious object on the street I'm staying on and I was on a different street when they pulled up, so some busy body neighbor of my daughter must have called. If I knew who it was I would parade back and forth in front of their house just to make a point. Maybe the neighbor recognized the TRX-1 and they are a Uniden fan, who knows?

BTW the town where I was hasseled is Tewkesbury, MA. Tomorrow its off to the Dallas area and I'll see what we can pick up there.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp-100 View Post
Sounds like bordering on harassment. A report of carrying "something" suspicious? Carrying a book these days is almost suspicious, who reads those anymore? I don't understand why you thought telling them it was a Ham radio was a good idea and any less 'suspicious' than a scanner. I'd say you behaved suspiciously, but not enough to be hauled in. This all sounds suspicious as does the need to remove one's shoes at the airport... the world needs help.

Last edited by prcguy; 07-16-2016 at 2:51 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2016, 3:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Mike: Maybe the person who called police is looking for a TRX-1, its on back order, they figure you might get locked up, then they ask for the scanner. Have a good road trip. We are keeping TRX-1 busy here in LA while you're away.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by trido View Post
What state?
QUOTE=prcguy;2609926]I went for a walk with my TRX-1 while on travel and got detained by 2 cop cars for about 20min. They kept asking what I was carrying and I said it was my ham radio while turning down the volume so they could not hear themselves running my info.

They said someone called in about about a person carrying something suspicous. Funny, I passed several other people on my walk with cell phones and earbuds and they didn't get hassled. Next time I'll keep it in my pocket and use earphones.
prcguy
[/QUOTE]

Mile is in Boston!
Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddrousa View Post
Yes by make the area smaller and by turning off services you do not want to hear.
Selecting the services you want or do not want, merely deletes or not deletes the Data bases included or not. I was wanting to reduce the mileage outside the ZIP code that the radio uses to input channels.

Skip
Old 07-16-2016, 11:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
Im learning a bit more about the TRX-1 and I nuked the memory and loaded in only the items I wanted from the memory card library. Much better now! It will load all the freqs for a particular PD, FD, etc you want, then you simply edit the list and lock out the ones your not interested in.

The menu structure takes a little getting used to and its frustrating at first. I will browse the library for the US, then state, then county/city, then you have a choice of agencies, categories or systems. If you pick one and its not what you wanted, there is a back button from the menu but it doesn't get you back to select what you really wanted and you have to start all over again. I do not have the update from a few days ago, does anyone know if the back button goes back further with the latest update?

Otherwise analog FM, P25 and DMR are sounding great a little north of Boston on my travels this week.
prcguy

Edit:
I found the back arrow will back out of the menu I selected by accident and get things going the right direction.
Mike how did you nuke the memory? I assume that you are referring to the SD card in the TRX 1. Are you using the stock one or one you put in?

Skip
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshermanmd View Post
Like TRX-1 but battery life seems poor. Running LCD only at lowest level with record off and only maybe 4 hours on 2500 ma Eneloops. Seems to eat batteries like crazy. I am using an external power pack now while away from home. Any other comments about battery life? Am I missing something. My WS1080 seems to have much better battery life with similar settings. Otherwise, I like this scanner. Great P25 and DMR audio.
I will second that the PowerEx batteries are far better! The eneloops come in several different varieties and some of them are pretty weak.

You want to pay attention to the milliamp hour rating (also listed as mAh). The higher the better. The PowerEx's I bought are rated at 2600 mAh which is about the best you can get from a AA battery (currently). You can get them at amazon pretty cheap.

If allowed, here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-16-2016, 11:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I went for a walk with my TRX-1 while on travel and got detained by 2 cop cars for about 20min....
I'm refraining so hard from saying more than I should and off-topic, but that sounds ridiculous from whatever "concerned" citizen reported the "suspicious" activity. So nobody in that area ever seen an FRS/MURS/GMRS or ANY kind of radio as prevalent as they are nowadays?

Is specially ridiculous and embarrassing when the same type of "concerned" citizens call 911 reporting somebody with a gun walking down the street and they don't know that their State/City has always been legal to open-carry. Wastes everybody's time and violates other citizen's rights when you're detained/questioned/almost arrested for not doing anything wrong/illegal.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:01 AM
Founders Curmudgen
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Stop it now, this has absolutely nothing in the real time world for the TRX series radios!!!
MARC ID:3126326
The BEST scanner or receiver is the one you using right now.
Old 07-17-2016, 7:51 AM

In the menu under set location it has an option to clear channels. I did and it seemed to clear out everything I had programmed before the trip so I could add the stuff where I'm staying. I have not been successful adding new areas to specific scan lists from the keypad and keeping the older stuff, need to do more reading and experimenting.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandbiker1 View Post
Mike how did you nuke the memory? I assume that you are referring to the SD card in the TRX 1. Are you using the stock one or one you put in?

Skip
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2016, 10:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
In the menu under set location it has an option to clear channels. I did and it seemed to clear out everything I had programmed before the trip so I could add the stuff where I'm staying. I have not been successful adding new areas to specific scan lists from the keypad and keeping the older stuff, need to do more reading and experimenting.
prcguy
Okay Mike:

I am supposed to get my TRX 1 from Jeff on Wednesday. I will see what u have been talking about. Based on ur experience, is there a procedure I should follow when I get it?

Skip
Old 07-18-2016, 8:01 AM

I'm still learning and I have a lot of programming questions. Maybe we should meet with sshermanmd at the local SCMA meeting and have a programming party.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandbiker1 View Post
Okay Mike:

I am supposed to get my TRX 1 from Jeff on Wednesday. I will see what u have been talking about. Based on ur experience, is there a procedure I should follow when I get it?

Skip
Old 07-18-2016, 9:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

We can meet at SCMA or anywhere and have a programming party.
Old 08-07-2016, 6:02 PM

Default New TRX-1

I just received mine yesterday and found it very simple to operate. I was very concerned as I am not a techy at all and had peppered Whistler , ScannerMaster & Zipscanners with many questions and concerns before deciding if this was the right radio for me. They were all very helpful and once I opened the package, just followed the directions in the booklet using Zip Codes, and now have everything I need programmed into it. Ultimately, I bought from Zipscanners and found them to be extremely helpful and efficient In getting the radio out as promised at a decent price. There's no doubt I will be visiting this site often as I try to fine tune the programming, so thanks to everyone for sharing!!
Old 08-31-2016, 5:04 PM

Default TRX-2 Car Mount?

Hello all,

Does anyone have a good car mount option for the TRX-2? Also, good external antenna for Digital P25?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 6:21 AM

Mount for the CONTROL HEAD or the whole radio?

Paul
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 AM

That's a great question.... I am getting it today. Do you have a recomendation?
Old 09-03-2016, 7:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile TRX-1/2 custom programmed?

Can the TRX series be custom programmed instead of using the location based scanning?
Old 09-03-2016, 8:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, it can be easily done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtittle84 View Post
Can the TRX series be custom programmed instead of using the location based scanning?

Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew...
Old 09-03-2016, 8:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtittle84 View Post
Yes
Old 09-04-2016, 1:47 PM

want to buy theTRX 1.I am hearing lots of problems with Windows 10 downloading EZscan
an.It was suggested by one owner to download it fromWhistler.
I tried and it said Windows 10 could not find it.
I have a laptop with Windows 10 and the new update.
Question, can you use the radio without downloading theEZscan