RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 3:28 AM

ADC gain and DSP level adapt settings.

/Ubbe
Old 05-08-2017, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
ADC gain and DSP level adapt settings.

/Ubbe
Thanks. Still wondering what kind of settings (in dB's, DSP Level Adapt, etc) for Ideal reception, esp. on P25 systems....In NUMBERS, that is.

Last edited by lanemls; 05-08-2017 at 9:28 AM..
Old 05-08-2017, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemls View Post
Thanks. Still wondering what kind of settings (in dB's, DSP Level Adapt, etc) for Ideal reception, esp. on P25 systems.
For non-simulcast systems/sites, no adjustment should be necessary.

For simulcast systems/sites, if it helps making adjustments at all, there isn't going to be a "one size fits all". If there was, there would be no need to adjust.

Therefore, in this case,you just have to experiment.
Not a Radio Shack fan.....
Old 05-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
For non-simulcast systems/sites, no adjustment should be necessary.

For simulcast systems/sites, if it helps making adjustments at all, there isn't going to be a "one size fits all". If there was, there would be no need to adjust.

Therefore, in this case,you just have to experiment.
Thanks. By the way, do you remember the DSP default settings on the EZ Scan app?
Old 05-08-2017, 1:09 PM

DSP default looks like 64 (I've never changed it)
Not a Radio Shack fan.....
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2017, 2:45 PM

I'll try "50" for now, and "tweek it" if I need to. Thanks, again.
Old 05-10-2017, 8:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default novice

Wendy - I'm a novice, that's why I purchased the TRX2. But, it won't pick up anything on the newer Columbus Ga system. I see the new info on Radio Reference, but don't see the software on their list for the TRX2 to download directly.
From your previous posts, what am I downloading from to the SD card?
Help!

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 05-10-2017, 12:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by monfort1 View Post
Wendy - I'm a novice, that's why I purchased the TRX2. But, it won't pick up anything on the newer Columbus Ga system. I see the new info on Radio Reference, but don't see the software on their list for the TRX2 to download directly.
From your previous posts, what am I downloading from to the SD card?
Help!

Thanks
Jimmy
You use the EZScan software to update and add the system to the scanner (check for firmware and DSP updates for the scanner, too). The software comes on the SD card and is installed on your computer. It then will update from the RR db.
Old 05-23-2017, 8:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default I'm a Noob!

Just recieved my TRX-2 from HRO today. Saw one at the Hamvention. Had done a little research. Pulled the trigger yesterday. I have done all the updates. Including the database. Just perusing this forum I learned how to get it to quit updating the firmware. Have a lot to learn. It's scanning just fine. I just need narrow things a bit as it is scanning far more than I really need.

Ed KA9EES
Fithian IL
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2017, 8:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

[QUOTE=Swipesy;2719554]I would not recommend doing what 03msc suggested doing with Scan Set 1. I consider Scan Set 1 to be sacred and should be left as the master scan set for all ScanLists. Let's review here.
If you become a heavy ScanSet user as I am then you disable Scan Set -1; create Scan Sets 2-20 and enable/disable the Scan sets that you want to listen to.=QUOTE]

As a new user I find this a very good idea. No to learn how to manipulate things in EZscan! Also need to learn how to quote too!

KA9EES
Fithian IL
Old 06-22-2017, 8:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default trx charge current quite low.

My trx gets updated every week or two. I like the new features added to the software / firmware.
I have enabled charging in the trx1 but the measured charge current is only 50mA.
This means a 50 hour charge time for 2.5ah nimh batteries.
Can you comment on this? It seems very low but I deal with it by charging batteries outside the scanner, by taking off the back insert, pulling off the rubber cover, then sliding the battery cover off, and swapping to a fresh set of batteries. And if I can leave it plugged in all the time, so thats two days to top them off.
Thanks Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerWendy View Post
I know several of you have received your TRX or will be soon. When you receive it, please be sure to install the PC App that comes on the SD card rather than just using an older version of the app already installed on your PC.

The older app will not recognize the TRX and will not install any updates that may be available for the TRX since the time it shipped from our factory and we want to make sure you have the latest and greatest updates!

Not to worry, the new version of the app will not over write anything that you already have and may use for your 1095/98 or 1080/88.

Be sure to install the new app and then update the CPU and DSP as you would normally install and update.

Thanks!
WW
Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 PM

Get a Panasonic BQ-CC17 (110v model, different model for 220v) charger....cheap external charger, can charge each cell independently, shuts off each slot when the specific cell is done charging. :-)

Paul
Old 06-24-2017, 4:35 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2RCU View Post
I love my TRX-2 however.on MARCS-ip it cuts off transmissions after about one syllable. Anybody have similar experience? Are there some settings I need to adjust? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, assuming that you have the latest software (EX Scan), under the Advanced Features tab, go to the Receive PCIF Options tab, change the value of DSP Level Adapt to 90. Try it that way. You can experiment with the value up or down to see what works best for you. But for me, I settled on 90 for Ohio MARCS.

Whistler Wendy and the Whistler Engineer at the Dayton Hamvention told me the new software was coming right after Hamvention and that people had success with better Simulcast reception with a value in the 90s.

As soon as the new software was released, I started experimenting and yup, they were right. It has REALLY helped.

Give it a try.
Old 06-24-2017, 9:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheisner View Post
Just wondering if it's possible to display "Connect Tone", "WACN", "Site number" and "Repeater number" for a Motorola TRS system on the TRX-1 / TRX-2?

My Whistler WS-1040 can display the following when searching frequencies:

For Type II SmartZone Systems:

SID:BC0A S01 / CT:76.76

For P25 Phase I & II Systems:

Sy:680 R001 S002 / N683 W:BEE00

Very handy info when identifying a unknown / unreported Motorola TRS.
I had asked this as a feature request from Whistler and got this response:

"Ok, it seems that way back when GRE made the PSR800 they decided to leave off the Analyze mode as the new model was designed to be easy to use and no “expert” area. The current SD card units don’t have the extra buttons that the older units had so it may not be able to add it.

John Nolan | Engineering Assistant| The Whistler Group, Inc
Office: 479-464-3520| Fax: 479-273-6012| Toll Free: 800-531-0004"