Using Your New TRX

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
I know several of you have received your TRX or will be soon. When you receive it, please be sure to install the PC App that comes on the SD card rather than just using an older version of the app already installed on your PC.

The older app will not recognize the TRX and will not install any updates that may be available for the TRX since the time it shipped from our factory and we want to make sure you have the latest and greatest updates!

Not to worry, the new version of the app will not over write anything that you already have and may use for your 1095/98 or 1080/88.

Be sure to install the new app and then update the CPU and DSP as you would normally install and update.

Thanks!
WW

rudd

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Is there a particular reason why you can't post the application along with the user manual on your website?

Your going to have people coping the app off of their SD card and sharing it online in the next day. Wouldn't you rather have the official application available from a reputable source (you) vs. floating around online?

Rudd.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Is there a particular reason why you can't post the application along with the user manual on your website?

Your going to have people coping the app off of their SD card and sharing it online in the next day. Wouldn't you rather have the official application available from a reputable source (you) vs. floating around online?

Rudd.

Yes, this is something that we are working on and should be available shortly. I wear several hats and that's one of them!

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Right now I'm building a starter file with the 1080 software which I will move over to the new software when I receive my TRX-1. That said having the real software available online should be helpful to those with them on the way. Mine is slated to arrive tomorrow.

rudd

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks for posting the manual. Can you post the application as well?

Thanks, Rudd

KC1UA

Database Admin
Mine arrived today and good God it's been a long time since I've had to program a GRE type modern scanner. I was able to put two Con+ DMR systems and a scanlist of conventional DMR in, and it all works fine. DMR sounds great, and although a completely different animal than P25 my ear says it sounds about as good.

You need to implement a light on for x amount of seconds when signal appears when in battery mode. I know it can be done by channel but that's a heck of a chore. I'd think a firmware update would solve that.

I had no issue connecting my TRX-1 via USB and backing up the SD card. My thoughts are the less that card is handled by human hands the better. A backup card will certainly be purchased; they are cheap enough. CPU and DSP updates were easy and went without a hitch.

I haven't connected this to an external antenna yet and done a VHF-HI test. I've spoken ad nauseum about my displeasure with overload in that frequency range causing me to have to attenuate every such object programmed. I hope it's changed for the better. Time will tell.

The case is outstanding. The case sucks. I could fire this radio across the room (and I may yet if I continue to fight the programming) and it would survive. It sucks because it requires dynamite to remove it. I did find that taking the puke green plastic backing off (that's how mine arrived) made it easier. Eww. I put the gray on. The green one may go in my chiminea later, it depends on how much beer I drink trying to figure this out.

All in all, neat radio thus far, but I'll be back with more soon. :)

KC1UA

Database Admin
I should note that my old friend Jeff at Hamstation had me at the top of his list for this radio and it arrived quickly as always.

One thing that I must say regarding any scanner with an SD card. Considering that I can buy a thumb drive which is a "no moving parts" item that is el cheapo, why don't you scanner manufacturers consider this as an on-board storage option to alleviate the "issues" that SD cards present to a lot of users. It would seem to me that would croak a lot of the problems. Maybe it's not possible due to form factor? I'd love to hear remarks on that, to include but not limited to the considerable fact that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I continue to be impressed by the audio quality of DMR on this radio.

When the display is lit, it looks wonderful and contains a lot of info. When on batteries I can't see who I'm hearing. Most of the time my ear knows who it is, but if the light could have the option of popping on briefly, in a global nature, I think that would be very helpful.

Ed6698

When the display is lit, it looks wonderful and contains a lot of info. When on batteries I can't see who I'm hearing. Most of the time my ear knows who it is, but if the light could have the option of popping on briefly, in a global nature, I think that would be very helpful.

This is very easily done with EZScan software or within the scanner itself. All the older models can do it while on batteries, I am sure these new models can also.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Thanks Ed, but is it done by channel as it appears or is there a global setting I'm missing. I saw the "by channel" setting, and I see that I can save a preset that appears to make it come on and stay on for the duration of the transmission. That said it appears that I'd have to add this to each object I'm scanning. It works, but pretty "clunky" compared to a global setting.

KC1UA

Database Admin
There is a global setting, the light will stay on all the time though.

I did see that. While powered it's like that, but when portable and sitting somewhere just a quick flash to see who's who would be ideal. There is an option for having it on all the time while on batteries indeed, but not ideal. Then there is the aforementioned option of per channel.

Minor in the grand scheme of things, I know, and I'd much rather have them put their energy into the actual quality operation of the scanner, but at some point maybe they can add it in.

Thanks for your info, Ed.

Ed6698

You are welcome.
Like I said it is really easy just to do it on a channel. I have 2 trunked systems with about 200 TG's all set for light to come on and about 500 conventional channels set for light to come on. Very easy to turn it on all of them at once, instead of doing each one individually. Just have to highlight them all, click on the top channel/TG of a list then press and holding shift key, click on bottom of list, it will highlight every thing, click in Bklt/LED area of a channel or TG and just change one and it will change them all in that list.

troymail

Silent Key
You are welcome.
Like I said it is really easy just to do it on a channel. I have 2 trunked systems with about 200 TG's all set for light to come on and about 500 conventional channels set for light to come on. Very easy to turn it on all of them at once, instead of doing each one individually. Just have to highlight them all, click on the top channel/TG of a list then press and holding shift key, click on bottom of list, it will highlight every thing, click in Bklt/LED area of a channel or TG and just change one and it will change them all in that list.

Even easier - click on one row and then select all rows with a Control-A.

My "default" programming is always to enable backlighting when active and recording for all objects....

I do agree though that having a global option to enable both of these without touching the set of objects in each system programmed would be nice. Even more so for "on the fly" system imports within the radio when using the PC software isn't an option.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Right now I'm building a starter file with the 1080 software which I will move over to the new software when I receive my TRX-1. That said having the real software available online should be helpful to those with them on the way. Mine is slated to arrive tomorrow.

Apparently it may give away what the software is like to those who are interested in a possible purchase of the TRX series? IDK, it sounds like a good idea to release it and actually let people use it, just like the manual.

As you have had some time to use the TRX, Scott. Do you see any difference in the menu system or operation from the previous model?

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Backlight

Even better would a different LCD used that you could read without backlight such as an LCD wristwatch has. The Psr 500 could be read fine unless you were in a totally dark room.
Ron

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Also near top of list for TRX-1 and 2 from Jeff but will not be here until Monday. See, my parents had to leave Worcester, MA in 1956 when I was age 7 and take me all the way to Los Angeles. I might of already had the radios like Scott.
All kidding aside, looking forward to putting these through a workout here in Los Angeles, including some DMR.
Steve AA6IO

Trainguy1997

This is going to be the bomb when I get the cash. Kinda wanna listen to the Lake County E911 system since my former boss works for Whiting FD aside from Lost Marsh Golf Course and I know a few cops from school that I am friends with on the Whiting PD force....plus the DMR stuff seems awesome. Also if the railroads switch over to NXDN I shall be prepared....one channel is already NXDN which is 161.205 AKA the nationwide RR police channel

Status
Not open for further replies.