RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 1:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No hiss on the TRX-2 WITH EXTERNAL SPEAKER or WITH INTERNAL SPEAKER.
Old 08-27-2016, 3:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just to add my two cents and pose a question...I purchased a TRX-2 in July and have a growing appreciation of it's capabilities. I would agree with one of the previous posters that the unit has a steep learning curve but with time AND patience, it all comes together. I also had to overcome a data corruption issue the first day of operation that was only solved by substituting a 32GB card and downloading the Whistler software.

My question is this: I've yet to find a way to delete a single scan list (say Scanlist 2) without clearing out all of the lists that I've created. I use the v-scanner data backup frequently but a targeted scanlist deletion procedure would be nice. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2016, 4:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8akz View Post
My question is this: I've yet to find a way to delete a single scan list (say Scanlist 2) without clearing out all of the lists that I've created. I use the v-scanner data backup frequently but a targeted scanlist deletion procedure would be nice. Thanks!
If you're asking a way to do it within the scanner, I don't think there is an easy way to delete a whole Scanlist using the keypad. You can do it an 'object' at a time by deleting it or disassociating it from the current Scanlist but obviously it'll be way too time consuming for a big Scanlist. Using software would be the very quick and easy way to do it.
Old 08-27-2016, 4:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks kikito...you're correct...I was trying to delete with the keypad. So it's doable with the EZscan software?
Old 08-27-2016, 4:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8akz View Post
Thanks kikito...you're correct...I was trying to delete with the keypad. So it's doable with the EZscan software?
Yep, one way I do it is to sort by Scanlist then click on the first object then hold down Shift and click on the last object to select them all and then click Delete.

I think that's what you're trying to do...
Old 08-27-2016, 8:36 PM

You can't delete scanlists, you can only remove (disassociate) items from the scanlist in question. If you highlight a whole chunk of channels in EZscan, you can double click them and uncheck off that scanlist from everything in one click.

Paul
Old 08-27-2016, 8:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
You can't delete scanlists, you can only remove (disassociate) items from the scanlist in question. If you highlight a whole chunk of channels in EZscan, you can double click them and uncheck off that scanlist from everything in one click.

Paul
Well, we're both correct in our own way. I was assuming he wanted to get rid of everything associated with a Scanlist and you can do that by deleting all the objects in it. But if he just wants to "re-use" all the objects from the Scanlist in a different one, then yes, just disassociated them. Which I did bring up earlier as one of the ways.
Old 08-27-2016, 9:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Very good! Thanks for all of the responses. I just wanted to have the ability to delete a particular scan list due to changing my personal "band plan" for scanning. I wasn't planning to reuse objects, although that's a great idea. With the TRX -2, it's easy to load up quickly on agencies, sites, etc that can make a scan list unruly at my current skill level.Cheers!
Old 08-28-2016, 3:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Finally figured out what many of you knew all along. You can delete channels from scan list, they are still there in the objects to use for other scan lists.That actually is a very nice feature of the GRE/Whistlers that I am just figuring out. 536HP been my favorite scanner for couple of years, but TRX-2 right up there, albeit very different feature set and programming.
Certainly the audio quality on the TRX-1 and 2 is superior. I find myself recently running my 536HP/TRX-2 together. Certainly both really nice scanners. I do like the global attenuate on Whistlers.
Like KB8AKZ, I am gaining appreciation for the capabilities of both the TRX-1 and 2. Never gave EZ-Scan much of a chance in past, but it is worth it with these new TRX scanners
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2016, 3:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I mean can't delete channels. No wonder I'm confused.
Old 08-28-2016, 8:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Steve like I have said before. The TRX-1 and TRX-2 compliment my 436HP and 536HP. The problem is people see where we are talking about a scanner performing this way or that way the part they do not see is I am running 13 scanners each one setup for for a one or two systems so as not to miss traffic. With the volume of traffic on these systems it is easy to miss traffic and blame the scanners. The Whistlers setup a lot more simple for DRM Trunking than the Unidens where you have to have the LNC order correct for them to work 100%. I like the Unidens where I can set the attenuation on each system and not kill the range of the entire scanner.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:06 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

With the attenuation I do believe individual Sites in a system can done without effecting the entire radio. Not sure if that is what you are talking about though.
Old 08-28-2016, 9:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I thought if u removed an object...they went to the unnasigned object scanlist to b saved....if u delete an object...its gone ?
Is that wrong ?
Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

[QUOTE=buddrousa;2633124]Steve like I have said before. The TRX-1 and TRX-2 compliment my 436HP and 536HP. The problem is people see where we are talking about a scanner performing this way or that way the part they do not see is I am running 13 scanners each one setup for for a one or two systems so as not to miss traffic. With ........

I find running 4 scanners at once is about my maximum before I get brain overload. But to stay on this thread, certainly, the TRX-1 and 2 are nice additions.
Old 08-29-2016, 1:24 AM

Thanks for the review.

Besides scanner performance, I want to know about scanner annoyance and usability.

Are you serious??? <expletive>
The scanner does not automatically turn on with ignition, that is utter crap. How are people expected to run these radios in their cars if they have to press the power button every time they turn on the car, and it sounds like it's even more complicated to turn on the scanner with the hold until powered on. WTF was Whistler thinking, cmon, how many years have scanners been in cars, you couldn't get that figured out? Who are you catering this for, idiots?

How about recordings, does recording automatically start when the scanner is turned on?

Uniden also sucks at two things, recording automatically and powering on from ignition, luckily I found a solution to the power issue. My batteries eventually drained where the radio shuts off when car turns off, but when the car is on, there's enough voltage in the batteries to register with the scanner so that the recording still works. (Uniden fools put in safeguards that prevent recordings if the batteries are not inserted, fools!!!) I've been running my uniden HP scanner this way for a year and no issues, other than the RTC battery crapping out just now.

Whistler and Uniden visit these forums, why don't they learn, do we need to call them and demand changes, are they that incompetent on their customer satisfaction side of business?
Retired: Austin Spectra
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2016, 1:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post

Paul
It is a concept that seems to be difficult for the average user to comprehend. There are about 200 Scanlists (800). They are like permanent filing cabinets. You can remove objects from a Scanlist (they go to the Unassigned Objects Scanlist) and you can delete objects from the radio (you will have to re-import them if desired). However, you can not delete Scanlists. You will always have about 200 Scanlists (800), no matter how hard you try to get rid of them.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:59 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrey89 View Post
The scanner does not automatically turn on with ignition, that is utter crap. How are people expected to run these radios in their cars if they have to press the power button every time they turn on the car, and it sounds like it's even more complicated to turn on the scanner with the hold until powered on.
This 100%. This is by far the worst part of the scanner for mobile use, up there with no GPS scanning. I really hope this can be resolved with a firmware update in the near future.
Old 10-16-2016, 5:15 PM

I made a firmware for a professional 2-way radio that powered on with ignition but quickly learnt that sometimes a vehicle with the radio switched off where moved just a short distance to be parked for the weekend and then the battery was drained on monday morning as the driver didn't expect the radio to be switched on by itself and he never looked at the display.

I made a memory function that remembered the last status, either the radio was on or off when the power dissapeared and started up in the same status when power was applied. I feel that is the most logical way to handle power on from ignition. If you manually turn off the scanner before switching off the ignition, you'll probably want it to be off regardless of the ignition. There could be situations where you don't want the scanner to switch on every time you turn the ignition on, and then have to wait for the startup procedures to finish before you can use the on/off button.

/Ubbe
Old 10-16-2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
I made a firmware for a professional 2-way radio that powered on with ignition but quickly learnt that sometimes a vehicle with the radio switched off where moved just a short distance to be parked for the weekend and then the battery was drained on monday morning as the driver didn't expect the radio to be switched on by itself and he never looked at the display.

I made a memory function that remembered the last status, either the radio was on or off when the power dissapeared and started up in the same status when power was applied. I feel that is the most logical way to handle power on from ignition. If you manually turn off the scanner before switching off the ignition, you'll probably want it to be off regardless of the ignition. There could be situations where you don't want the scanner to switch on every time you turn the ignition on, and then have to wait for the startup procedures to finish before you can use the on/off button.

/Ubbe
All true.

Though some might want to wire it directly to ACC power, ie when ignition is on, so the radio would be killed when car turns off so no battery drain. Not sure a 3 wire power is necessary for the scanner, but it'd be a nice addition.
A 3 wire power is ground, battery and ignition wires. Battery wire provide power, and ignition wire provides a signal that the scanner should turn on.
Retired: Austin Spectra
Old 10-16-2016, 7:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I utilize a ChargeGuard, so no worries here about battery drain or ignition surge.